Shell Nitro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
Well don't know if any of you out there use the new "Shell Nitro" fuel in your cars and i only use normal shell but, i've just treated my bike to a full tank of the new shell petrol and instantly noticed a difference. It must have a higher octane than normal shell as obviously the said cleaning properties would not have cleaned my engine from the inside so fast. Would like comments from other users. T.

Oh so it is a higher octane rating. 99 instead of the normal 95. No wonder my engine felt very crisp.

To be honest I use Shell Nitro and the only difference I notice is that diesel makes more noise. :dk:

Whilst not a reply re shell nitro, I definitely notice a difference with bp ultimate, in both fuel economy and performance!

Well something has changed after using Nitro Diesel.......

Usually my C270 averages 40mpg but since using a couple of tanks of Nitro, I am now getting 45-48mpg (calculated from brimming tank). Also engine feels smoother and much more responsive.

Could be due to other factors but as the only change has been to use Nitro a few times.......note that the increase in mpg has stayed when I have filled up with standard shell diesel since.

Looks like it does what it says on the tin but i wont be filling my Merc up with "Nitro". Just the bike. The engine characteristics have changed enormously and engine revs so much harder. Were not talking about a new super bike , i have a 1991 bike and obviously without an Oxygen Sensor.

if your wife/gf/mate or whatever filled the car up for you without telling you, would you of noticed any difference?

i think not.

its purely clever marketing. look at the words contained in the name;

V (references to V6, V8?)
Power (obvious, more power)
Nitro (nitro power)
Plus (more, extra etc etc)

Money is best off in your back pocket IMHO!

Sure, it probably cleans the engine a little bit and it probably does give some extra performance, but is it a noticiable difference, or the placebo effect...

Difference in price is not much really plus it keeps your engine clean regardless of the performance gain.

When I bought my 32 the car was serviced at MB Slough 3 months before I bought it which included a brand new fuel filter.

I ran the car for 500 miles and I was shocked at the mpg couldn’t go past 21mpg on the Motorway so I filled the car with V Power and used Wynn’s injector and fuel tank cleaner, after 200miles, the car was making noise MB thought it was the fuel pump and that was mega money but it turned out it was the fuel filter, I’m guessing the 2 previous owners before me used normal cheap fuel.

MB ended up replacing my fuel filter under parts warranty, £185 isn’t exactly cheap.

Just a confirmation for me not to ever use cheap fuel on a performance car.

if your wife/gf/mate or whatever filled the car up for you without telling you, would you of noticed any difference?

i think not.

its purely clever marketing. look at the words contained in the name;

V (references to V6, V8?)
Power (obvious, more power)
Nitro (nitro power)
Plus (more, extra etc etc)

Money is best off in your back pocket IMHO!

Sure, it probably cleans the engine a little bit and it probably does give some extra performance, but is it a noticeable difference, or the placebo effect...

I have to disagree from personal experience as in my previous posting.
I have seen a definite significant increase in mpg from 40mpg to around 45-48mpg since using a couple of tanks of Nitro Diesel and an improvement in smoothness and performance. My car has 95,000 on the clock and I put it down to the cleaning properties of the fuel making a difference.

I have used Shell optimax and V-power diesel in the past and did not notice much in the way of improvement. I have certainly never achieved 48.9mpg from a tank of fuel in the past....

you probably dont care anyway you will hand it back at the end of your contract and get a new one or something.

so keep using supermaket fuel to save for your new one.:thumb: lol.

If you find a 10% increase in economy > 10% increase is cost per litre, then why the heck would you not use it?

The Tuned Reno makes this observation obvious.
More cost but more power (dyno proven) about equivalent to relative higher cost of higher octane fuel.

Not difficult to comprehend, surely?

you probably dont care anyway you will hand it back at the end of your contract and get a new one or something.

so keep using supermaket fuel to save for your new one.:thumb: lol.

as opposed to running nitro which i have said seemed to dull performance. The difference in cost between the 2 is nothing really is it? I doubt the money saved over the time I keep the car would even buy a tyre let alone have any difference towards what i get next time

But if it works for you then go for it ;-)

If you find a 10% increase in economy > 10% increase is cost per litre, then why the heck would you not use it?

The Tuned Reno makes this observation obvious.
More cost but more power (dyno proven) about equivalent to relative higher cost of higher octane fuel.

Not difficult to comprehend, surely?

No not at all but i used 2 tanks of the stuff one after the after and got the opposite effect. the car appeared sluggish with it. Stuck tesco 99 in and it seemed to pep up again. My unscientific conclusion? Don't use it.

Seems to me there is a school of thought on here that you must use it. I tried it, didn't rate it swapped back again. My personal experience is that its not that great.

Last edited:
I can only give positive feedback ref Shell Nitro +
I regularly use it in my e320cdi
Noticed extra MPG, engine became very quite when warmed up, less smoke when accelerating hard (unless driven for week in town)

unless my local garage that sells it doesn't shift a lot of the stuff and it goes of...

in the interests of research i will try it from another garage tonight as i am out and pass a busy garage...

not holding my breath but i will give it a couple of more tanks

Thanks for all of your mixed comments chaps. Seems it works for some and not others but i will keep putting it in my bike for now. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom