Shell Oil specifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordonTarling

MB Enthusiast
Car
2007 E63 AMG V8 Estate
Picked up my 'new' E320cdi from the dealer yesterday. :bannana: It's only just done 11000 miles, so they carried out the first service (oil change!) before I picked it up. On the 'Digital Service Report', they show the oil used as being 'Shell 5W40'. Now I've searched the Shell website and can't find an oil that complies with the required MB229.31 or MB229.51 specifications - this is the low-ash oil for engines with a DPF. So, has the dealer used the wrong oil, or is there a Shell oil which does comply, but isn't shown on their website?

My c320cdi (DPF) has previously been serviced with Shell 5w-30 Low Ash by main dealer so assume that Shell offer it. Just found spec under Shell Helix but only 5w-30

Last edited:
Picked up my 'new' E320cdi from the dealer yesterday. :bannana: It's only just done 11000 miles, so they carried out the first service (oil change!) before I picked it up. On the 'Digital Service Report', they show the oil used as being 'Shell 5W40'. Now I've searched the Shell website and can't find an oil that complies with the required MB229.31 or MB229.51 specifications - this is the low-ash oil for engines with a DPF. So, has the dealer used the wrong oil, or is there a Shell oil which does comply, but isn't shown on their website?

You might not have a DPF, not all of them do, my E280cdi Sport 57 reg doesn't have one although i do still use Total ESP 5-30 to MB 229. 51 spec

Gatty - Thanks - I found that too. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer as to what they actually used.

prm - I'm fairly certain that it does have a DPF. Handbook specifies MB229.31 or MB229.51 for my engine and dealer told me they all have DPF now.

Last edited:
Gordon, what year is yours?, have a look at the tailpipes, if theyre sooty you won't have one

I've seen it mentioned that there's an orange sticker under the bonnet warning to only use low ash oil if the car has a DPF.

There have been a few reports on the forum of the dealers using the wrong oil. When I first got my MB I got so many confusing stories off dealers that, anxious to ensure I kept the extended service intervals, I bought oil myself and took it in for them to use.

prm - it's a 2009 car. Tailpipes looked fairly clean when I inspected the car - will check again though.

Rory - thanks, I'll take a look for stickers later. Think I'll follow your own example regarding supplying the oil, but then could I trust the dealer to actually USE it?

Umm, may well have a DPF at that year, apparently if it has the tailpipes will be soot free, there will be an electrical sensor into the air filter box and if you look under the bonnet , left hand exhaust pipe at the bottom will have a box attached with wires coming out.

Druk - thanks for that! So the '5W40' they used was probably (hopefully) Shell Helix Ultra AT-L 5W40 and thus is OK for use in my car. I'm still trying to get them to confirm what they used. I may just ask Olly to change the oil and filter anyway when I see him next week - at least I can trust him to use the right oil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom