Shell standerd diesel v's supermarket diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan2014

I treat my car to a full tank of shell v-power diesel about every 3rd fill up and the other two will be shells standard diesel my question?
Is shell's standard diesel better quality than supermarket diesel? What's your opinions?
Thanks in advance :)

I always used Vpower diesel in the 740d just to keep it happy

I would like to say shell standard is better than supermarket, supermarket's are where you buy bread milk eggs etc

And shell are in the fuel business. So I would think more care goes into making sure its top notch rather then whats left and is cheap which is what the supermarket's might buy.

I think (don't know) that the only difference is there less or no "bio diesel" in v power. All standard diesel has a percentage of recycled sh*te in it basically.

Petrol is a different octane level but diesel is diesel.

Again, probably just made that up, but I think there's some truth in it.

It does say the percentage on most pump handles.

I use it when I can, If I wanted to put veggie oil in my car I would put veggie oil in in, you don't expect it in a garage

I always used Vpower diesel in the 740d just to keep it happy

I would like to say shell standard is better than supermarket, supermarket's are where you buy bread milk eggs etc

And shell are in the fuel business. So I would think more care goes into making sure its top notch rather then whats left and is cheap which is what the supermarket's might buy.

You can also buy bread, milk and eggs etc at most Shell filling stations. Are these products of a lesser quality than those bought in a supermarket.

Shell V Power uses a proportion of GTL [GAS-TO-LIQUID DIESEL] to raise its Cetane rating https://sidepodcast.com/post/shell-v-power-challenge-your-questions-answered
GAS-TO-LIQUID DIESEL
A class of synthetic (non-crude oil derived) diesel fuel that has received significant attention recently is referred to as gas-to-liquid (GTL) diesel. GTL diesel is produced from natural gas using the Fischer-Tropsch® process, which was first developed in the 1920s.
GTL processes can yield high-quality fuels with exceptional properties. Refined syncrude diesel, GTL diesel, is composed almost exclusively of paraffins, with virtually no aromatic hydrocarbon or olefins content. In addition, GTL diesel fuel is nearly free of sulfur and nitrogen.The cetane number of GTL diesel is significantly higher than conventional diesel – typically in the range from 70 to 75. [ cf the latest European standard diesel fuel EN 590 rating which currently stands at at a minimun of 51 EN 590 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ] GTL diesel is characterized by poor lubricity and must be treated with a commercial lubricity additive. In addition, it also has poor cold flow properties, limiting its potential use in cold weather applications.
The energy density of GTL diesel is similar to conventional diesel but can produce extra thin "supersoot"which needs higher temperatures to burn 650c/700c instead of 600c requiring more cat regeneration. Typically, GTL diesel results in lower hydrocarbon, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and particulate emissions when compared with conventional diesel fuel.
http://www.chevronwithtechron.com/products/documents/Diesel_Fuel_Tech_Review.pdf

I wonder if that Mr Wood is going to stand for Parliament in the coming elections?

Those answers would be well suited to the Sunday Politics show :D

Interesting read, thanks.

You can also buy bread, milk and eggs etc at most Shell filling stations. Are these products of a lesser quality than those bought in a supermarket.

Quite possibly. The staff may be less well versed in stock rotation, the storage conditions may not be a rigorously controlled. I certainly would not purchase perishables from a service station forecourt

I use it when I can, If I wanted to put veggie oil in my car I would put veggie oil in in, you don't expect it in a garage

Veggie oil & biodiesel are not the same thing.

It's roughly like comparing crude oil to petrol.

If you want to add oomph to your diesel (bio, supermarket or otherwise) just buy 2EHN from Trinity or somewhere similar.

http://www.trinity-research.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=49

The 5 litre one is the cheapest per litre - Chemical sales

Last edited:
Quite possibly. The staff may be less well versed in stock rotation, the storage conditions may not be a rigorously controlled. I certainly would not purchase perishables from a service station forecourt

Shell's deli range is actually rather good. Sandwiches and their orange juice in particular.

Shell's deli range is actually rather good. Sandwiches and their orange juice in particular.

Must admit they certainly smell appetising. The amount of time I spend in Shell service stations, I may as well start eating there also!!

All the fuels are from the same refineries so it must be down to additives.

No sh!t Sherlock...

Ask a lorry driver, who's engines are worth more than most cars cost out right, what fuel they use :)
Remembering any downtime due to fueling problems means loss of earnings.
And
Remember some of the most expensive and largest engines in plant equipment on site run on red diesel these are huge earth moving machines costing millions.

Choice is yours at the end of the day, for me any tank of diesel 90L with 250ml of 2 Stroke mineral oil will do.

:)

Last edited:
not sure that using 2 stroke mineral oil in a DPF equipped car is such a good idea.

I have been using almost only VPower in my Smart CDI since new and I'm steadily creeping up the mileage, whilst not knowing how long the CDI engine is good for.

Today the smart was in for a service and was on a Star so Martin (my tame mechanic) took a look at how the DPF was faring.

The results are surprising. Would the use of VPower have played a part in keeping the DPF so clean?

DPFcontent.jpg

If I had a Smart which would only sip Shells finest then I would be on it all the time.

My old girl does not have a DPF so its Asda's finest most of the time with a shot of Forte now and again.

All the fuels are from the same refineries so it must be down to additives.

Apparently incorrect re V-Power petrol, correct re V-Power Diesel.

And yes it would be cheaper to put the additives in the tank yourself (Millers/Forte/Redex etc) if you have the time and patience. I did this for many years until around 2005 (Redex with each tankful), but then I gave up and started using Premium Fuels instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom