Shell v-power nitro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjacques1

Car
2006 C180 Kompressor Sport
Heard about the new Shell Nitro fuel and thought I will try it.So last week drove car until almost empty,with petrol light on and showed 20 miles left .Filled with the new SHELL NITRO at £1.40 per litre.A week later and I have to say I am dissapointed.Didnt feel any difference in performance,to be honest felt a bit sluggish at low speeds and rev's.Didnt notice any difference in the MPG either.Also the idling was a bit rough.Anybody else tried this fuel?

carwas on empty

I was thinking just the opposite - I'm on a tankful of it and thought the car seemed quite nippy.

But is it the learning gearbox or the fuel? - too many variables.

is it just for petrol or do they have a diesel version too? not sure I want to pay £1.40 a litre for fuel though

I have decide to fill with normal SHELL this time .I will see how it goes and will fill up again with the SHELL NITRO next time .I was a big van of the old SHELL V-POWER !!!!

Although I am an ex-Shell employee and still a share holder, I see these "enhanced" fuels as no more than value adding sales gimmicks. I've used mainly Tesco fuels for several hundred thousand miles over many years, incident free. We also enjoyed two free return flights to Singapore last year, en-route to/from Sydney, thanks to Tesco Clubcard points. Seems to make more sense to me.
It is also interesting to note that Shell no longer produce petrol or diesel in the UK. They sold their Stanlow refinery to an Indian company in 2011.

Last edited:
I have decide to fill with normal SHELL this time .I will see how it goes and will fill up again with the SHELL NITRO next time .I was a big van of the old SHELL V-POWER !!!!

The only differences you may see is if you use nitro for a long time and/or your ECU can adapt to higher octane fuels.

Shell Nitro has lots of additives which help keep the fuel system clear of gunk.

I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 with a shot of Forte petrol treatment every 6 months to keep things clean - in a 350bhp 2 litre turbo engine for the last 2 years. Now trying Shell for a few months to see if there's any difference that's noticeable..

Although I am an ex-Shell employee and still a share holder, I see these "enhanced" fuels as no more than value adding sales gimmicks. I've used mainly Tesco fuels for several hundred thousand miles over many years, incident free. We also enjoyed two free return flights to Singapore last year, en-route to/from Sydney, thanks to Tesco Clubcard points. Seems to make more sense to me.
It is also interesting to note that Shell no longer produce petrol or diesel in the UK. They sold their Stanlow refinery to a Chinese company in 2012.

Interesting post. :thumb:

Good to see that the smoke and mirrors are still working despite the octane rating and lead free fuels have been in existence for some time now:)

I'm as cynical as they come with these things but, my C32 runs rough on sainsburys super unleaded, yet on Shell VPower it is a lot smoother.

I've used shell V - Power in all my cars and they all feel less responsive if I have to use normal fuel, throttle response through to top end power all seem dull, as I've used this fuel in different cars and felt the variation between the V - power and normal I feel there is more to it than just hype!

I see these "enhanced" fuels as no more than value adding sales gimmicks.

The dyno tests run by 5th Gear showed increased bhp and torque with premium fuel vs standard grade unleaded. It's also likely that the cleaning additives have a long-term beneficial effect.

So not exactly a 'gimmick', at least by my definition. Whether it's worth the extra price is another matter - that's down to individual choice.

I've been running the new Vpower for ages now, no doubt in mind mind I can see a difference on the 32, smoother and more responsive but mine is eurocharged so no sure if the map and smaller pulley likes higher octane fuel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom