Shell V-power +

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

24karrat

Car
1989 560 SEL AMG Japanese Import | 2014 A180 CDI AMG SPORT
Will shells v power fuel make any difference to a 560 sel?

It will keep it cleaner.

Or, if you don't mind fiddling with plastic bottles and calculating mixture ratios you could use fuel additives instead e.g. Redex, Forte, etc.

But performance-wise I doubt you'll notice any difference.

To be honest I get the theory of the additives but in reality my A45 seems to go just the same whether I give it Sansbos super unleaded or VPower. Not sure the mpg is any different either.

If the extra costs are not a problem, then definitely worth using V-power in that engine...it deserves it :). Plus it will help keep the engine clean and give a longer life to specific components, in the long term. That fuel is really beneficial in terms of engineering aspects but most of us might not notice its benefits physically... :) Wern't these engines originally designed to operate on leaded fuel... 4 star etc etc? It would be interesting to see how these engines behave with unleaded fuel...or is there no difference?

If the extra costs are not a problem, then definitely worth using V-power in that engine...it deserves it :). Plus it will help keep the engine clean and give a longer life to specific components, in the long term. That fuel is really beneficial in terms of engineering aspects but most of us might not notice its benefits physically... :) Wern't these engines originally designed to operate on leaded fuel... 4 star etc etc? It would be interesting to see how these engines behave with unleaded fuel...or is there no difference?

The German cars are OK with respect to unleaded fuel BUT there is an
emerging problem for us older car enthusiasts; bio fuel.

Tests show that older engine fuel systems are being adversely affected by the introduction of bio fuel.

It is causing internal corrosion and the breakdown of seals etc.

I have therefore switched to using super grade fuel in my 95 car, because the petrol companies have not (as yet anyway) introduced the bio additives into these more expensive fuels.

An alternative would be conversion to LPG, as again the German cars have strong engine valves which will stand the test of time, and of course you will benefit from lower emissions than both petrol and diesel, which may benefit you now that authorities are looking to add an extra layer of tax to the more polluting cars, with a ban on city centre use.

It looks as if diesel drivers may be in for a big shock in this latest scenario.

The German cars are OK with respect to unleaded fuel BUT there is an
emerging problem for us older car enthusiasts; bio fuel.

Tests show that older engine fuel systems are being adversely affected by the introduction of bio fuel.

It is causing internal corrosion and the breakdown of seals etc.

I have therefore switched to using super grade fuel in my 95 car, because the petrol companies have not (as yet anyway) introduced the bio additives into these more expensive fuels.

An alternative would be conversion to LPG, as again the German cars have strong engine valves which will stand the test of time, and of course you will benefit from lower emissions than both petrol and diesel, which may benefit you now that authorities are looking to add an extra layer of tax to the more polluting cars, with a ban on city centre use.

It looks as if diesel drivers may be in for a big shock in this latest scenario.

Yes biofuels will be mixed with conventional gasoline and diesel fuels in the coming years for sure. I did a project on biodiesel at university and there are some emerging additives in the pipe line which can resolve problems like corrosion, fuel filter clogging, injector clogging and seal breakdowns, but they effect engine performance and emissions etc.... These problems are also existing in modern engines as reported by various energy journals....that's why the European Commission is only.blending a small percent of biofuels in conventional fuels, so that those problems do not exist largely.

But as you said, LPG may be the best option for older cars...

The main reason I use Shell V-Power is because it is supposed to be a lot better for your engine.

Performance increases are always welcome but having as clean an engine as possible is my other main priority.

The main reason I use Shell V-Power is because it is supposed to be a lot better for your engine.

Performance increases are always welcome but having as clean an engine as possible is my other main priority.

Clean being the operative word Rash :thumb:

Never used anything else in the CL since we have owned it.

Purely for engine maintenance & apparently it using less fuel as it's more efficient then normal petrol & less needed for ignition, but performance wise don't think I will see much difference in a sel but just internally, like mentioned above, v power in a lambo you can feel the response difference from normal to super unleaded. Very interesting seeing everyone's responses

Its very simple.

Cars that are tuned for higher octane fuels will do better on super. Ones that are not, you are just wasting money.
Some older cars were designed to run on 97 at least but majority are tuned for 95 Ron and will run happily on 93 or even 91 in countries where its not available.

On the 560 M117 there are no sensors to adjust for the higher octane fuel and you are just wasting money.

On my SL60 for example, it states we should use 97 wherever possible and so I use it.
Same for my 190E Cosworth. The 500E M119 uses normal... The 300TE AMG uses Super...

Basically use what it says to use on your fuel door!

jaymanek said:
Its very simple. Cars that are tuned for higher octane fuels will do better on super. Ones that are not, you are just wasting money. Some older cars were designed to run on 97 at least but majority are tuned for 95 Ron and will run happily on 93 or even 91 in countries where its not available. On the 560 M117 there are no sensors to adjust for the higher octane fuel and you are just wasting money. On my SL60 for example, it states we should use 97 wherever possible and so I use it. Same for my 190E Cosworth. The 500E M119 uses normal... The 300TE AMG uses Super... Basically use what it says to use on your fuel door!

Agreed. Mine says 98 so vmax it is :)

Thanks for the clarity, nice list of old school classics too! Which is you personal fav?

Thats only a few...

Full list is 13 long now... thats like asking which one of your kids do you like the most?

Have always used v-power so I tend to stick to it especially as I have now had it remapped. Helps that I don't do big mileage otherwise I might think twice about it.

13 strong! thats a fortunate predicament to be in, the sec wide body in your profile picture looks a absolute stunner, i don't have kids yet so in my case it would be trainers lol when do you find time to drive them all or do you alternate to keep mileage to a minimum?

24karrat said:
13 strong! thats a fortunate predicament to be in, the sec wide body in your profile picture looks a absolute stunner, i don't have kids yet so in my case it would be trainers lol when do you find time to drive them all or do you alternate to keep mileage to a minimum?

Hi yes well I have a few that I try and use.. So 190e cosworth, 500e and amg w124 estate get used.
The widebody gets the least use having covered 70 miles in 12 months. The others I use as and when I can, a lot depends on weather as I have 3 convertibles and a couple of cars with wheels only suitable for dry days!

But none of my cars do more than 1000 miles a year.

Keeping them all serviced etc is fun. Today I drained the oil, ATF, brake fluid and diff oil from the widebody. I swear the stuff that came out looked cleaner than the new oils!

Still I think annual service Is necessary, just so that I know I'm giving them all a good looking over if nothing else..

Along with stocks& shares I check the weather forecast just as much now, the window for good weather is very small, although we had a couple days of good weather recently, haven't really opened it up after my beast got it's full service as it runs alot smoother!

Good to hear you take the time out to service the beasts annually, makes up for not driving them in a way, I share the same ideal, i see it as part in parcel of owning them.

I've seen too many owners in my early years of searching for a sec/sel keeping good cars & not bothering maintaining them because the bill was more then what they though the car was worth & until it's decrepit and a complete eye sore on their drive they want to sell for a price it was worth when it was running

Which made me think how long will I keep this for & I don't want to become one of those mentally attached owners! :$ so I enjoy mine as much as I far a reasonably practicably can I.e trip to gym, sunday trip to tesco, midweek diner out with family or mrs, I do check on it as bad as it sounds during my outings & take pictures if cars are parked adjacent incase they dink my door lol this car has brought out my OCD big time lmao but it's worth it! My mrs goes ape **** lol but parking by cctv is the one! not sure if your as bad as me, or if would consider leaving any of yours unattended in a public car park, no matter how far you park out in an open space someone finds a reason to park close, in my eyes they are impractical for everyday use, including finding parking space, speed bump avoiding and swirving constant unlevelled manholes because of years of **** resurfacing, hence why they don't run on splits.

Manny

Yes the ethanol isn't in the higher grade fuels supposedly so I have only used V Power or whatever.
It will come though I'm sure. I think MB have said our old cars can handle up to 10% so it's OK for now at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom