Shift workers age faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
According to new research the brain ages an extra 6 years every 10 year period of night shift working.
So as I have been working nights now for 17 years now my brain is the same age of a 70 year old although I am only 59, and as I intend to work until I am 70 my poor old brain box will think it is 86 years old.

After you reading all this I am not sure what my point is apart from us night workers are under paid.

At least this thread brings my score up to the magic 100 now.

Working nights is known to halt post count as well.

(that, along with posts in off-topic not counting)

Decades of shift work definitely have taken there toll in my case. It amazes me how well my ex-colleagues look a few months after retiring. Younger, healthier and vigour restored. Here's hoping!

Decades of shift work definitely have taken there toll in my case. It amazes me how well my ex-colleagues look a few months after retiring. Younger, healthier and vigour restored. Here's hoping!

I've heard rowing is a good way to be healthy. :)

Will I start feeling younger then, when I retire then Giantvanman? and when will my previous posts go beyond the 99 mark or am I not worthy?

I often worked between 80 and 90 hours in my early career, no wonder I feel like I am 70 some days :)

I been doing long days since early age I'm now 36 and fell like I could retire!!:D

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Dieselman said:
I heard you had.
I wish I got a long way to go still !!:(

I used to do long hours and at 36 I went semi retired. Actually its not semi retired, I work for myself now and its given me a new lease of life and Im enjoying my job again.

I pick and choose my clients and only work with those I want to. Yes Ive scarificed money but Ive gained so much more in return.

Mrhanky said:
I used to do long hours and at 36 I went semi retired. Actually its not semi retired, I work for myself now and its given me a new lease of life and Im enjoying my job again. I pick and choose my clients and only work with those I want to. Yes Ive scarificed money but Ive gained so much more in return.
I also work for myself and nothing changed ...what am I doing wrong!:D

I wish I got a long way to go still !!:(

Me too, it would stop be being chased up by 'Er indoors.

Yesterday my phone rang...Where are you...?

Ha, LOL, just pulled up at home...

FFS..as if you want disturbing at 3:00am...

Dieselman said:
Me too, it would stop be being chased up by 'Er indoors. Yesterday my phone rang...Where are you...? Ha, LOL, just pulled up at home... FFS..as if you want disturbing at 3:00am...
I know the feeling DM happens very often to me ...bless her!:D

I also work for myself and nothing changed ...what am I doing wrong!:D

Not doing anything wrong I would imagine. Ive had to give up alot of material things. For example the car I drive is an 04 E55, three years ago it would have been a brand new AMG.

Making the adjustment is hard but for me it was worth doing.

Sorry if it sounds smug, I dont mean to be, I intended to sound like a right smug fooker :bannana:

Mrhanky said:
Not doing anything wrong I would imagine. Ive had to give up alot of material things. For example the car I drive is an 04 E55, three years ago it would have been a brand new AMG. Making the adjustment is hard but for me it was worth doing. Sorry if it sounds smug, I dont mean to be, I intended to sound like a right smug fooker :bannana:
i only been in England 6years so I have a lot of catch up to do ,when the time comes I'll probably step back a bit too, for now I have to make the costumers happy.:) Sent from my iPhone using MBClub

IMHO I believe if you do regular permanent nights, at least you are eating and sleeping over a regular pattern...

I think the real issues are around continental shifts / rotating shifts, were each week you are changing your eating and sleeping patterns which cannot be good for the body, and very hard to stay healthy...I know guys who have done these type of shifts for years and they do look much older than their age...

IMHO I believe if you do regular permanent nights, at least you are eating and sleeping over a regular pattern...

I think the real issues are around continental shifts / rotating shifts, were each week you are changing your eating and sleeping patterns which cannot be good for the body, and very hard to stay healthy...I know guys who have done these type of shifts for years and they do look much older than their age...

Possibly because they still use their days for their own activities, instead of sleeping.

I've worked rotating shifts for ten years now ( I'm 39 )

7 earlies ( 0600 to 1400 )
4 days off
7 nights ( 2200 to 0600 )
4 days off
7 lates ( 1400 to 2200 )
4 days off
7 nights

And repeat. I love them , admittedly , it's not a strenuous job , but they suit my lifestyle very well. Lots of days off mid week and every third weekend as a long weekend.

I often get complimented on my boyish good looks ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom