shifting from neutral to drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golfer59

Car
mercedes cd 220i
Hi guys
i am new to forum as just purchased 59 reg cd220 auto. question when i come to traffic lights etc and standing for a while i put car into neutral sometimes when i go to pull away car stays in neutral. If i pull gear shift back slightly harder it goes into drive. am i not pulling gear stick back enough or should it just click into drive . If you think there is a problem can u let me know what you,s think it is as car is under warrenty

regards

Hi guys
i am new to forum as just purchased 59 reg cd220 auto. question when i come to traffic lights etc and standing for a while i put car into neutral sometimes when i go to pull away car stays in neutral. If i pull gear shift back slightly harder it goes into drive. am i not pulling gear stick back enough or should it just click into drive . If you think there is a problem can u let me know what you,s think it is as car is under warrenty

regards
Never ever take mine out of drive (unless reversing!). At uphill stops, sometimes even on the flat use the 'hold' function. Sharp jab on footbrake after stopping temporary holds the car stationery then just drive off when ready should automatically release itself.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I pop it into N at traffic lights/queueing traffic etc. Even more so at nighttime. Leaving foot on the brake or using the 'Hold' function is totally inconsiderate to the vehicle behind (IMO).

Modern LED brake lights are so bright and dazzling close up. Just a polite habit I've started.

I pop it into N at traffic lights/queueing traffic etc. Even more so at nighttime. Leaving foot on the brake or using the 'Hold' function is totally inconsiderate to the vehicle behind (IMO).

Modern LED brake lights are so bright and dazzling close up. Just a polite habit I've started.

We need more people like you in the world Ant :p
Maybe put it into park though as in N could roll back? Depending on the road gradient of course :)

In terms of wear, taking the whole driveline into consideration, it's best to leave it in drive. The fuel consumption increase will be negligible. The drivers behind can look somewhere else..

At the traffic light, for example.

In terms of wear, taking the whole driveline into consideration, it's best to leave it in drive. The fuel consumption increase will be negligible. The drivers behind can look somewhere else..

At the traffic light, for example.

Hmmmm. peripheral vision? Maybe my eyes are too sensitive. I've been driving like this the last 10 years with auto cars and no driveline issues. Just saying.

Leave it in Drive and use your parking brake, it is quite simple!

The OP's 59 reg cd220 is a W204 right ?

Don't they have a potential problem with overheating of the rear light cluster wiring. If it hasn't been rectified with the improved earthing I would definitely not hold the car on the footbrake for a sustained period as the brake light draws the highest current. I don't do it anyway as I agree that it's inconsiderate to the driver behind.

My 08 C220 is also an S204, I have error free LED's in the rear lights (except the indicators), and as everyone else keeps their foot on the brake when stationary at the traffic lights I do the same, even if I slip the transmission into N. So far touch wood I've not had a problem with the rear lights, or a problem selecting D to move away.

I'm not sure (hence my earlier post) but I think you have to have your foot on the brake to move the transmission from P or N to R or D - which would be logical, as how many accidents have we seen reported where people accidentally moved an automatic car when shifting the transmission without a foot on the brake, or shifted the transmission then confused brake with accelerator - including one lady who drove off a ferry into the river!

Error free LED's by definition pull much the same current as the standard incandescent lamps so the potential for overheating is still there unless the wiring has been modified. In the US this overheated wiring seems to be more of a problem and is a recall issue. I had assumed that was because US drivers habitually spend a lot of time with their brake lights on.

If I'm waiting for a long period at lights I will slip it into N, but it should just slip back into D, you only need to apply the brake to release if moving from P. I have a W204 (2008)

Doesn't the 7-G tronic box recognise you're stopped and unlock the torque converter when at the lights etc (in which case no need to put it in neutral)?
That's probably the odd sensation when it engages drive again.

I could have sworn that you fail your driving test if you put an automatic in neutral at the lights, but it's over 20 years since I past and I accept that these things change.

Hi guys

regards

Going from Neutral into Drive should feel just like going from Neutral into Reverse or Reverse into Park, if it doesn’t, then there is a problem, this assumes your foot is on the brake when changing.

Dec

Red lights, such as found at the back of all cars do not dazzle in the sense that you are not temporarily blinded by them. If you choose to get annoyed by them that's your problem not mine.

Highway code says :-

General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158) - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK

Rule 114
You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUSTswitch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Personally, I always do this.

Unless I'm going to be stationary for a long time I don't take it out of drive.

Traffic and stop start might be what your looking for, foot on the brake the car stops, foot off and car starts you drive off, no time to put it in neutral.

I tend to leave it in drive unless waiting for ages, although I don’t have LED rear lights. The indicators are the facelift LED strip, but not the brake lamps.

My wiring did melt, I just fixed it with a soldering iron. Perfect since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom