Shims!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyS

Car
CLK 320 Elegance '99
Firstly apologies for bringing them up, I know that there are loads of threads on them but I am having a bit of trouble working out a definitive answer.

I have a w208 320 Elegance and I have finally got my rep 18" AMG alloys refurbished and have put new tyres on. They have never actually been on my car. Being the Elegance it does as I understand it already sit higher than some other models, so my plan was to have #1 shims put in alround to drop it down. Now when I first discussed this with an indy in Croydon he seemed to know exactly what I meant and said that he would fit the shims and put the wheels on making sure I had the right bolts etc.

Now I am actually in a position to get it done he has said that there is no point in changing just the shims as they will not lower the car to any noticable amount and that i need to put different springs on as well - he's now gone off to get a price on the springs..

Is this right? I was under the impression that by changing to a #1 shim my car would sit low enough that the gap between arch and wheel would look right...?

Thanks TV, I just spoke to Ollie and he said pretty much the same thing, it looks like I will have a day out in Portsmouth pretty soon for new springs and cups as he quoted 50% less than the local indie to me to do the job..

Even Olle will have to order them in, prob best to buy them in advance.

Thanks TV, I just spoke to Ollie and he said pretty much the same thing, it looks like I will have a day out in Portsmouth pretty soon for new springs and cups as he quoted 50% less than the local indie to me to do the job..

Your car will be in safe hands, there have been a few very high indie prices today, somewhere near on par with a MB dealer

to add to my last post, i changed springs to H&R, and shims (spring pads) to #1 on the front and #2 on the back, and it was waaaay to low. Ive now replaced shims with #4 on front and back and it looks good.

if you havent changed the springs then low ones will be ok #1`s front and back.

Due to the spring being near the fulcrum point of the suspension arm the amount the pad will lower the car is compounded by approximately 2, so a 12mm reduction of pad will give approximately 24mm of change in ride height.

Thanks all, this is where I am getting a bit confused - no offence to anyone here but i seem to be seeing to separate opinions (or am i being thick) I am going to take a wheel off hopefully today to find out for sure but assuming I have a 17mm # 4 on at the moment then according to some if I replace it with a 5mm #1 i will get a 10mm or so drop and then others say it will be a 24mm drop - if it's the latter that could just do the trick, if it's the former i can't see it making much difference.. and of course the problem is paying for it to be done each time till i get it right..

Cheers
Andy

Thanks all, this is where I am getting a bit confused - no offence to anyone here but i seem to be seeing to separate opinions (or am i being thick) I am going to take a wheel off hopefully today to find out for sure but assuming I have a 17mm # 4 on at the moment then according to some if I replace it with a 5mm #1 i will get a 10mm or so drop and then others say it will be a 24mm drop - if it's the latter that could just do the trick, if it's the former i can't see it making much difference.. and of course the problem is paying for it to be done each time till i get it right..

Cheers
Andy

No what dieselman said is corect

Well I have just put the wheels on anyway without changing the shims and i think they look ok.. i think.. I may go for the #1 shim option at small drop will look about right i think without it looking modded.

Going to clean the car up over the w/e and will post a piccie to see what you all think

Cheers for everyone's input it really is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom