ship load of new bmws get a bit dented...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think Chris Bangle will be envious of some of those...

I think in some lights you'd get away with it;)

I think Chris Bangle will be envious of some of those...

Once he's done with his 'flame-surfacing' period he moved on to his 'bashed-about-in-the-hold-of-a-ship-for-a-bit' period.

Given that a few people I know would buy a poo if it had a blue and white propeller badge on it they should proabably chance their arm at flogging them anyway. ;)

BMW dont seem to have a lot of luck with their shipping company. I think they should change delivery company myself as this is the second time this sort of thing has happened!

They probably prefer it..they get paid anyway and it keeps demand higher.

Nothing a call to Chips Away and a bit of elbow grease wouldn't sort out. What's the problem? :)

They look like a bit like the Indian hand-made white "207" in the Peugeot advert of a couple of years ago ...

... the one that started off with a Hindustan Ambassador (1950s Morris Oxford) where it was helped into its final "207" shape by an elephant.

It's probably available on YouTube.

Not sure I'd be happy recieving a repaired car..

"Extensively damaged cars will be declared a total looss & crushed while those with minor damage will undergo repair at a receiving facility in Elizabeth, NJ, after which they will proceed onto dealers."

Me thinks a certain captain might be looking for a new job! For the last few days Torbay has been pretty congested with ships taking shelter, waiting for the weather to improve before stepping out into the North Atlantic\Western Approaches. I guess this ship wasn't one of them.

I wonder how many cars will be repaired and then given to the new owners without telling them about the damage?? :devil: :mad: :mad:

Regards
John

Am I the only one who mis-read the thread title as "shi* load of BMWs..."?

Me thinks a certain captain might be looking for a new job! For the last few days Torbay has been pretty congested with ships taking shelter, waiting for the weather to improve before stepping out into the North Atlantic\Western Approaches. I guess this ship wasn't one of them.

I wonder how many cars will be repaired and then given to the new owners without telling them about the damage?? :devil: :mad: :mad:

Depends on who is responsible for fuel tanks..could be ships Engineer.

Likely due to the transfer of fluids between tanks on the vessel -- this tumble will cost MILLIONS!

Depends on who is responsible for fuel tanks..could be ships Engineer.

Likely due to the transfer of fluids between tanks on the vessel -- this tumble will cost MILLIONS!
Agreed , but I also wonder where the buck stops because if it really was 'fluid' being transferred, then that does not happen instantly.

I wonder what the tide rise\fall was in that harbour and was the ship alongside when this incident happened? If she was not alongside and was using her own pumps to transfer 'fluids' then would it have been an even slower procedure? How much would this vessel need to list before vehicles shifted so violently and why wasn't it noticed earlier if the ship was indeed in harbour? Certainly a very strange incident. I just assumed she was at sea and could not cope with the very recent weather conditions:eek: I wonder what obligation dealers will have in declaring that the cars that have been repaired? (those capable of being repaired) Has anyone found any better information?

[SIZE=-1]59,000-dwt car carrier [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]M/V Courage[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] listed heavily in the port of New Jersey on Jan. 11. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]370[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]BMW[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] cars were damaged, seventy were lost. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]M/V Courage[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] had come from Europa with a cargo of 2,000 cars, mainly [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]BMW 1-series, 3-series [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] M3[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]'s. The seriously damaged cars will be destroyed, cars with less damage will be repaired. [/SIZE]

Oooh if you dealer is stalling on delivery of your new 3-series I would be worried!

Accident damaged before dealer delivery, ouch.

This one (which really went pear shaped) has some cctv footage showing the process:

http://www.cargolaw.com/2007nightmare_genoa.html
:) Nice find Nick,
I am a naturally curious chap and this has helped explain a few things and presented even more questions.

The thread states how these vessels have self healing?? Me thinks I shouldpay this sort of vessel a visit :devil: :D

The ship had started to list in the evening of Mar 7. It had just finished loading in Verrebroek dock when containers on the vessel slipped. All possible corrections to the listing were carried out according to the standard procedures, however for yet unknown reasons the result of the correction were invain and the ship could not be corrected anymore, which suggest a malfunction in the self healing mechanism, however this is only a speculation. The real cause will be detected in due course as soon as the ship will be righted. On Mar 8 at 6.30 a.m. the ship finally capsized.

I suppose when this happens at sea it is in everyone's interest to blame that big black dog or in nautical terms.... A rogue wave :) :) Being in harbour I suppose the big black dog excuse simply will not work.

Nice find
Thanks, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom