Shipping an exhaust back box - will this packaging work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I'm in the process of buying a back box & the shipper has boxed it as you see.

Does the panel think this will work & pass muster with Parcelforce & the like?

It is a gamble and the only way of avoiding possibility of any damage is fixing that box to a small pallet. TNT used to be the cheapest courier for palletised parcels.

Make sure the seller has properly insured the package...

+1 for insurance. I usually put 'fragile' stickers on but sometimes I wonder if that encourages the couriers to throw it around.

Insurance will not cover something boxed like this IMO & IME. I'm meant to be booking & paying for the shipping, & therefore taking all the risks for damage, extra charges etc. Putting it on a pallet makes the whole deal economically unviable.

Don't want to piss the seller off but I think that either has to be repackaged or he can book & be responsible for this shipment.

I'm in the process of buying a back box & the shipper has boxed it as you see.

Does the panel think this will work & pass muster with Parcelforce & the like?

I had a back box shipped to me from Germany, just with cardboard and bubble wrap wrapped and taped round it , not even as much packing as yours there .

Mine arrived just fine .

Well I think it looks OK.
Similar packaging to one I bought shipped from Poland.
Should it get dented, you won't see or feel the effects.

Looks fine to me. Being a heavy item it shouldn’t be thrown around.

Some carriers won’t take cling film outer wrapping. I’ve received similarly packed items like that no bother before, although it can be something of a lottery.

Why don't you present that picture to your intended shipper/carrier and see what they say vis a vis packaging and insurance- no point in second guessing the issue??

Reactions: 219
It will be fine. I just bought a complete exhaust system from germany, a couple of the pipe ends were a little dented but with a little heat were easily rectified. They were simply wrapped in clingfilm with no protection at all.

Reactions: 219
I would protect the tube sticking from the top with as much protection as possible .Thats the part that just might get damaged first . Pack things up as if its a rugby ball , couriers at times treat them as such.

Called PF & they (or at least Jennifer in their CS Dept) are totally unconcerned with the bit sticking out. Of course, as Jennifer concedes, I will never be able to reach her again to back me up should the SHTF with price penalties & extra charges for trying to pull a fast one.

Strange policy as that sticky out bit, if taken into consideration dimension wise, nearly doubles their quoted price - seems it kicks the box up into the next category. Nae problem, Jennifer burred down the phone ta mae, it's just the rectangular bit they're concerned with.

I'm going to risk it. Will update as & when.

I sent a spoiler like this with the edges sticking out for my brother. He packed it himself and insured it. The couriers obviously made sure the broke the ends that were sticking out even though they were bubble wrapped and had cardboard around them. Claim was made and they paid out. He may have been lucky though (or unlucky!).

EDIT: Glad to see it arrived safely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom