Shipping tyres to the US

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
Any advice or recommendations please? I have a friend in California who needs a set of 4 175xR16C tyres, and he is no longer able to find a supplier in the US, which seems odd, as they can't be unique to one vehicle, which in his case is a TX2 taxi. @alabbasi, as you're there would you be able to check this out please? A US supplier would be the answer, but failing this, would anyone be able to advise on the best way to have them exported from here? Thanks

That's going to be a very hard tire to find in the US. I would expect that anything in a 16" whether vintage or current (unless you're talking 20's and 30's era) would be much wider. Have your friend contact Coker Tires. They're a specialty tire supplier that sells hard to find tires like the old Michelin metric tires found on BMW's and Ferrari's.

If you're planning on shipping, you need to check regulation as I believe that tires may need to meet DOT standards to be on the road. It may be possible to get exemptions for show cars.

Reactions: MD5
Try US Goldwing clubs. That was a popular choice to fit (one presumes for travelling in predominantly straight lines)

Coker Tyres is a good bet, but I think 185's are the narrowest they do on a 16 radial.

That's going to be a very hard tire to find in the US. I would expect that anything in a 16" whether vintage or current (unless you're talking 20's and 30's era) would be much wider. Have your friend contact Coker Tires. They're a specialty tire supplier that sells hard to find tires like the old Michelin metric tires found on BMW's and Ferrari's.

If you're planning on shipping, you need to check regulation as I believe that tires may need to meet DOT standards to be on the road. It may be possible to get exemptions for show cars.
Thank you for that, I'll suggest it to him. He had a supplier that used to provide Austone tyres and apparently (he was told) Firestone took exception to the naming of the brand, so supplies have ceased. Interesting point about regulation, and I've so far failed to find a UK supplier that will ship, but I've only just started looking.

That said, I've just been given the number of a big importer of US tyres, so they may export also. I'll call them in the morning. Thanks all so far.

You might want to have him contact SNG Barrett who's a Jaguar parts supplier in the UK and also have a branch in the US. IIRC from when i used to roll in the jaguar circles, they send a shipping container full of parts to the US every month and may be willing to order tires here and have them shipped. Otherwise you might have to find your own shipping consolidator that will ship it for you in a cost effective way.

Thanks again, Al, noted. I may have found a supplier here that can help, I'm waiting for a call back later today.

The other name I have for that size of tyre is MAXXIS but altho found here its not listed on their US site?
Search Results: Maxxis 175/80 R16 - mytyres.co.uk

I think Michelin also make these tyres, along with a few others, but it's getting them to the States that is the hurdle. Currently in dialogue with a UK supplier and we are just checking if they have an export licence from the VAT perspective so my friend can deal directly and save that element.

Can he not go up on section width and down on aspect ratio. Eg, early 1990s Eldorados ran 225/60 - 16. The rolling radius is very close to the specified's. But maybe originality is key here.

There is a degree of originality required, but the tyres also need to be commercially rated. I've spoken again to the supplier today, and I think we're in business, so thanks to all so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom