Shock absorber top mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

conor1n

Car
E350 S212 M272 3.5 // SL 500 R230 M113 5.0
Hi everybody,

Looks like the the top mounting portion of my rear shock (E Class estate) has give way.

It looks like MB (EPC) don't list the top mount separately, but I can see them online. I am going to source some tomorrow and go about putting them on.

Anything I need to know in that regard..? Looks like a straightforward job - famous last words. Boot trim/arch liner removal probably the most painful.

I've been contemplating changing the shocks too, as the car is about to approach 200k, and not sure when they were last done. If I use non OE parts, at what point do I need to declare the "modification" to the dreaded insurers?

Thanks

Here's another little update.

I have ordered two top mounts but I don't think they come with the rubber inserts. I've been told by one person (motor factors) you just swap out the rubber from old part and another guy (RAC Engineer) says it won't work as pressing into the new aluminium part could break it.

Any ideas?

How do you usually remove the top nut from the mounts..? It's a hex key inside the nut. I used an impact driver but if I hadn't one of them i'd have have been stuck. No spanner would have fitted on with the rubber there.

Also, I checked the shock and I think it is also goosed. I'll probably get a 4 new shocks all around and fit over the winter. Probably do engine mounts too, and be like a new car :)

Fitted new Bilstein mounts (£67 delivered) today. Quick job.

Used impact wrench to open/close the nut at top of strut.

Chuffed to have saved myself a heap of cash. I see MB only sell the mounts with shock absorbers. So would have been looking at about 300-350 for parts and a garage to fit for another 1-200. DIY is so satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom