Shock absorbers replaced w211 sitting higher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alijay

Car
W211 E320cdi sport
Got h&r 40mm lowering springs in my 2009 e320cdi sport had the standards shock absorbers in and the car was sitting nicely. Just replaced the front two with Sachs shocks and it has risen the height. Can anyone please recommend shocks to go with springs or how I can rectify this. The shocks are not adjustable. Will they settle with time if so how many miles?

A few years ago, when I fitted new Sachs shocks to my 2004 C320 w203, despite the parts being exact replacements, I found the same thing.
Before fitting the new shocks, I compared the old compression force required (just by pushing down on them against the ground), as it was obvious that the older shocks had a significant difference in compression, which I put down to deterioration of the old shocks, and the rear of my car sat higher after the replacement.

I think this is not unexpected, and I would expect this to settle over time, but how long, I couldn't say.
Maybe this is just back to how it would have been from the factory?

Hopefully someone who knows exactly what's going on with new shocks vs old will be along to help us understand.

A few years ago, when I fitted new Sachs shocks to my 2004 C320 w203, despite the parts being exact replacements, I found the same thing.
Before fitting the new shocks, I compared the old compression force required (just by pushing down on them against the ground), as it was obvious that the older shocks had a significant difference in compression, which I put down to deterioration of the old shocks, and the rear of my car sat higher after the replacement.

I think this is not unexpected, and I would expect this to settle over time, but how long, I couldn't say.
Maybe this is just back to how it would have been from the factory?

Hopefully someone who knows exactly what's going on with new shocks vs old will be along to help us understand.
Thanks mate glad I’m not the only one. With mine have lowering springs I would of thought it would sit lower. Got me baffled to how high the shocks have made it go.

Some 211 shocks have an adjustable ring under the lower spring mount but you need to dismantle again to see.

Attachments

• AF9EE758-2FC1-42AC-9320-49CC0EE48A29.jpeg
    AF9EE758-2FC1-42AC-9320-49CC0EE48A29.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
You can get at the ring by compressing the spring , loosen the top hat nut but don't remove it. Tap the bottom cup up with a hammer , the ring is underneath, drop it to the 2nd split from the bottom and the car will sit just nice. Sachs come with the ring midway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom