Shocked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LESTAYLOR

Car
W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
My cherised 12 year old Eclass was mocked by a local bodyshop when we went to have a quote for some rust repairs. " I wouldn't bother he said just run it into the ground." :eek: Now I look after my car as I cant afford a newer one. I dont work for a company who gives me a £50,000 voucher to lease a car; so my old Merc and me are great friends. Anyway after having my car serviced at TMS. Ian's guys did a great job again. He introduced me to the people who do his bodywork jobs.

When I went there, David the owner looked over my car with his guys and came to the conclusion that the car was in fair shape and all the rust they could find would be cut out and replaced with new metal, even the awkward little bits did not faze them; so I have left the car with them.

I know the E class is prone to rust, but I was shocked when they sent me a picture of the back near side hidden under the bumper. They will cut out all bad metal and replace, but the point I want to make is when buying an old E class, try to get your fingers under the bumper and have a good feel round. My car will be in great shape when I get it back and it will continue to be my friend. but watch out for "great looking" cars that hide a rusty secret :eek:

Attachments

• 18042013 001.jpg
    18042013 001.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 18042013 002.jpg
    18042013 002.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 166
Cant believe that rust. no wonder your shocked.My c280 is 16 years old without a hint of rust anywhere!

My SL is with Ian's bodywork guys now... for paint - hope they don't find anything like that!

Cant believe that rust. no wonder your shocked.My c280 is 16 years old without a hint of rust anywhere!

If your car is rust free look after it and don't take the word of crash repair bodyshops. my car has gone to a restoration workshop, where they care. Your car looks great Tony. :thumb:

My SL is with Ian's bodywork guys now... for paint - hope they don't find anything like that!

I hope not too, but if they do they will treat it with respect and do it justice :thumb:

I am so pleased with the way I was treated, I have booked my Classic Merc 508D camper in for a total respray in Blue and Cream going in on the 26th this month. :bannana:

My cherised 12 year old Eclass was mocked by a local bodyshop when we went to have a quote for some rust repairs. " I wouldn't bother he said just run it into the ground." :eek: Now I look after my car as I cant afford a newer one. I dont work for a company who gives me a £50,000 voucher to lease a car; so my old Merc and me are great friends. Anyway after having my car serviced at TMS. Ian's guys did a great job again. He introduced me to the people who do his bodywork jobs.

When I went there, David the owner looked over my car with his guys and came to the conclusion that the car was in fair shape and all the rust they could find would be cut out and replaced with new metal, even the awkward little bits did not faze them; so I have left the car with them.

I know the E class is prone to rust, but I was shocked when they sent me a picture of the back near side hidden under the bumper. They will cut out all bad metal and replace, but the point I want to make is when buying an old E class, try to get your fingers under the bumper and have a good feel round. My car will be in great shape when I get it back and it will continue to be my friend. but watch out for "great looking" cars that hide a rusty secret :eek:

Make sure they check the front cross member and the front spring perches while the car is in the shop.

Mine was rusty in the same place Les, though not quite as bad as yours. But the remedy was the same:

I am so pleased with the way I was treated, I have booked my Classic Merc 508D camper in for a total respray in Blue and Cream going in on the 26th this month. :bannana:

Thanks for the information Les.
So are you travelling from Sudbury-on-Thames to Lancashire to have your bodywork repaired ?

Regards

If your car is rust free look after it and don't take the word of crash repair bodyshops. my car has gone to a restoration workshop, where they care.

I like your camper, it will be interesting to see that done.

Another bodyworks for restoration work such as your W210 panel, would be Clive at Benzworx in Essex. 07861 745402
He used to reside on this forum until being banned, but can be found on t' other side.
I was impressed when I saw him form a complete new arch, including the correct return, from a strip of steel. (not for my car)

Make sure they check the front cross member and the front spring perches while the car is in the shop.

They have been checked the front o/s perch went a couple of years ago, all is well there...:thumb:

Thanks for the information Les.
So are you travelling from Sudbury-on-Thames to Lancashire to have your bodywork repaired ?

Regards

Hello JP yes I feel it is worth the trip. that is why I go to Ian for a service, the job gets done properly and even with the fuel cost, it works out cheaper...:bannana:

I like your camper, it will be interesting to see that done.

Hello matey. Thank you I am reluctant to post pictures of the camper even though it is a Mercedes, however, I will post before and after pictures when I get it back at the beginning of June...:bannana:

Thank you also for the info on the guy in Essex, but for the moment, i will stay with Dave in Wrea Green ;)

Hello JP yes I feel it is worth the trip. that is why I go to Ian for a service, the job gets done properly and even with the fuel cost, it works out cheaper...:bannana:

If you are satisfied then that`s all that matters.
When I got my W210 I drove all the way to Olly @ PCS in Horndean to have him check it out. A first class Indie.

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom