Shocked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
well earlier today i contacted quite a number of dealers and offering my 1997 c280 face lift with FSH as a px and the most i was offered was £250.00. looks like i'll be sticking with it for now then. T.:confused:

I paid £1500 for the car 6 months ago so sorry no.

I thought you were keeping it after thinking about selling it after declaring you'd keep it forever after thinking about selling it after buying it six months ago?

Dealers don't want fuel inefficient old cars sitting around at full retail, the market is very thin. They just bang them on ebay straightaway and get out of them.

I thought 1 was keeping it after thinking about selling it after declaring i'd keep it forever after thinking about selling it after buying it six months ago?. Hahhh

£250 PX is more polite than telling you to sod off I suppose.....

What you paid for it is irrelevant although I think you overpaid significantly for it. The market as has been stated is very poor for old cars with large petrol engines.

What you paid for it is irrelevant although I think you overpaid significantly for it. The market as has been stated is very poor for old cars with large petrol engines.

Whilst I agree with this from a commercial point of view. I also believe a good example of this car to the right person is worth over a thousand pounds without question.
Don't be put off by what you were offered part ex fella. If its a very good clean example it will fetch over a thousand if the right person wants it.

The auction doesn't favour this kinda thing and that's where it'll end up.

Hence £250 is a token gesture rather than a valuation.

Unless someone sticks there hand up for a private purchase, it'll go for pennies to a scrap dealer.

Shame, but true.

Whilst I agree with this from a commercial point of view. I also believe a good example of this car to the right person is worth over a thousand pounds without question.
Don't be put off by what you were offered part ex fella. If its a very good clean example it will fetch over a thousand if the right person wants it.

I agree but value is totally dependant on the product finding someone that wants to buy it.

My comments related to the offer from the dealer. If they bought it for £250, prepared it, advertised it, possibly offered a limited warranty then there would be little scope for profit after tax and other expenses had been covered.

I wouldn't trade in an older car the offers are normally woefully low unless you happen to be driving a classic or very sought after model. I often joked with them would you really want that, you can gauge from there next response how interested the trader is. Most have actually given me some good guidance on a realistic price for a quick private sale. There are still lots of people out there that like big petrol cars, condition though will determine how much someone is prepared to pay.

Last edited:
He's not going to px it,he loves it again,I think.

I agree but value is totally dependant on the product finding someone that wants to buy it.

My comments related to the offer from the dealer. If they bought it for £250, prepared it, advertised it, possibly offered a limited warranty then there would be little scope for profit after tax and other expenses had been covered.

No argument with this but why does the dealer have to make a profit on the p-ex?

Isn't that the whole reason they are in business to buy cars and sell them on for a profit?

No argument with this but why does the dealer have to make a profit on the p-ex?

Because they are running a business and there are costs involved in taking in a car in part exchange regardless of how it is sold on afterwards and it would be prudent to try to maximise your profits where you are able.

As usual though people are getting hung up on the part exchange price which is irrelevant, it is the total price to change that is relevant.

If car being bought was listed at £2000 and the dealer offered £1 for the car offered in part exchange but took £500 off the car that was being bought then these are the only figures that you can use to judge if the deal offered is correct for you.

You always need to take the emotion out of a business transaction, if you are trading in your car then it is irrelevant what happens to it after the deal is struck, your only aim is to get a cost to change that you and the other party are happy with.

OK.

You go to buy a car with no p.ex and the dealer offers a discount, he is happy and so are you.

On the other hand, you go to buy a car with a p-ex, dealer wants full sticker price and kick you in the nuts on your car.

Doesn't see equitable at all to me.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned about getting shafted?

OK.

You go to buy a car with no p.ex and the dealer offers a discount, he is happy and so are you.

On the other hand, you go to buy a car with a p-ex, dealer wants full sticker price and kick you in the nuts on your car.

Doesn't see equitable at all to me.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned about getting shafted?

Because as I stated there are costs to the dealer in moving on the part exchange vehicle, they may consider selling it themselves etc. You as the buyer have choices, if you think that you are "getting shafted" then you clearly do not buy unless it is a practice you enjoy!:dk:

A C280 is still quite a desirable car and if in good condition , with decent spec ( as most of them would tend to have ) and FSH , it will be worth more to the right buyer .

I , and lots of others , would hardly regard a W202 as an 'old' car , nor a 'big' car but the C280 is certainly refinement in a small package and , compared to something like my 500SEL , actually quite fuel efficient since I would expect it to return circa 30mpg or better , being smaller and more recent than my W124's which got close to that figure .

If you really do want to sell it , advertise it on some of the free places such as Autotrader , Car and Classic , Pistonheads or here , and let the ad sit until someone comes along .

Don't be in a hurry and the car will find the right buyer , someone who will appreciate and cherish it for what it is .

The W202 is on the cusp of becoming a Classic , much as the good W201's have started to do : keep it for a few years , look after it , and you will turn a profit on it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom