Shocks 2 or 4 ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prc

Car
'05 C 220 CDI
Dropped car off for B-service + tie rod change. Just got a call that I also need front shocks + bushes changed. Front shocks at 50% on test machine (rears @ 70%).
Wondering if it's a good idea to just change front shocks or if I should leave it as is and change all 4 when funds permit.

Jim's Weight Problem

Bearing in mind the test machine may be Jim the workshop foreman who has a weight problem ( he's the one who rocks em up and down);) it is the front shockers that take the most pounding- first to hit the speed bumps- the acceleration loads are frightening to think about- and also have to damp a much higher spring load due to the engine at the front, I wouldn't worry about just changing the front's. The handling and braking will improve markedly.

Similar to grober, I'd be really interested to know more about their test machine as testing dampers whilst fitted to a vehicle has always been regarded as difficult to achieve.

I personally like the idea of fitting four new dampers together, it keeps the car balanced, however the fronts will generally have more work to do.
On the basis that the fronts are worn to 50% efficiency and the rears to 70%, then if you fit only fronts the new ones will wear to 50% again and the rears will then be at 35%, maybe, assuming the wear rate to be linear. If it's not linear then they will probably be at approximately 50% efficient

Most people don't realise how much dampers affect not only ride quality and general stability but also braking performance. Like Graeme says: if funds are tight, do the front's now and the rear's when you have the cash.

Jim would be Jose here...:D
I've seen there test machine. Sort of vibration plates on the floor (1 axle at a time). Not sure exactly how test is performed but guessing it measures weigth on plate???
The balance or lack of is what worries me. Have always changed all 4 on previous cars. Will most likely do the same now. Thanks..:)

Most people don't realise how much dampers affect not only ride quality and general stability but also braking performance. Like Graeme says: if funds are tight, do the front's now and the rear's when you have the cash.

Not just funds really. Was looking to upgrade at the same time. Koni FSD or Bilstein B6 or kleemann (if I won the lottery).

I've seen there test machine. Sort of vibration plates on the floor (1 axle at a time). Not sure exactly how test is performed but guessing it measures weigth on plate???

It vibrates the plate and measures the resistance to the ossilations of the spring.
This is a genuine test and one I'm surprised isn't employed for the UK MOT or indeed places like Quick-fit.
They would sell loads more dampers and cars would be safer...but then tyres would last longer...:rolleyes:

Damper testing.
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108385/article.html

Last edited:
I know that shocks do generally go unchecked/un noticed on most cars, and probably many cars on the roads would benefit from new shocks. I have seen the benefits first hand from replacing shocks on several of my cars :)

But...

Yours is an '05 car? That's fairly new to be considering new shocks all round IMO. Ok if you are a perfectionist, or if it was a performance car, but as a comparison, I would say 80%+ of cars 10 years old are still on the originals (not condoning this btw).

As has been said - how have they been tested?

Does your car do very high mileages or drive regularly over very poor surfaces?

Will

Car has over 112000km (69K miles). Car was purchased 2nd hand with half the mileage last december. Poor surfaces are quite normal (except on motorways). I do 50% motorway and 50% B-roads which do not have potholes, but do have many smaller cracks and upliftings due to tree roots. My town is also 100% cobblestone...:(

My town is also 100% cobblestone...:(

That might explain it then.

It's nice to see someone taking care of their car, I guess many people would just leave shocks until they leak or the bushes are worn.

New shocks do make a massive change to the way a car drives/brakes/handles etc.

Will

Problem solved

Have just got off phone with shop. They have offered me a set of OE shocks for a sport pack model with a 15% discount if I purchased all 4. Which I gladly said yes....:D

Would like to thank everyone for there help! :)

One last question, honest...;)

Does anyone know how these compare to the standard avantgarde suspension in terms of firmness??

Paulo

Normally Mercedes Sports suspension is about 30% stiffer than standard. I am slightly concerned that the sports shocks will be matched to the existing spring rates of your car. Recent sports suspension from MERCEDES involved a lower ride height (e.g. 30mm on an Avantgarde CLK ) what I am unsure about is whether this was achieved thro changing the shocks alone or both the springs and shocks. It is important to match spring rate/height to the appropriate shock absorbers to get the best ride quality. Sorry I can't be more specific but I guess guys with your model will know better than me.

Picked up the car today and will soon be starting a "Feed Paulo & Family for the rest of the month thread"....:crazy:

B-Service + new tie rod + all front bushes + 4 shocks & Springs (SP) + wheel alignment = 1371.44 Euros (There goes partial funding for command again.:eek:).

All in all : handling is much improved.

- suspension feels taught but not harsh in anyway. Would actually say it handles bumps a bit better and cornering is 20-30% better (guesstimating).

-TBH doesn't really look any lower to me.

Having been meaning to get back now after running the car a month with the new suspension. Overall very happy with the suspension. Much quicker turn in response and the just feels sportier and holding better in the twisties...:)
have noticed a few things:

1- when loaded (was on vacation) with family, luggage, and moutain bike rear end sits alot lower (as it did with standard suspension). Doesn't seem to happen on the other car, so wondering if this is due to the spring rate??

2- cars looks like it's lower than before (when I picked up car). Is this the springs settling in or is it a problem??

Thanks

The car will sit lower with sports shocks and springs since they are designed that way.Nothing to worry about. I don't know what your "other car" was to compare-was it the same model?

was and is a Seat Toledo. Must have higher spring rates..:)
What I ment was that car seems to be lower that initially was with the sport suspension. As if the new shock/spring combo settled in a bit...:confused:

Many standard hatchbacks and estate cars have rising rate springs so that as they compress when loaded the rate gets higher, helps to keep em more level, most "sport" springs do not have this feature as the buyer for a sportier car is assumed to prefer performance over practicality to a higher degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom