Shocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt58

Car
2003 E55 sedan
Afternoon all, Does anyone know if I can swap over my rear shocks to determine where the clunk is coming from when I go over rough surface, my daughter tells me the clunk is coming from the middle of the rear bench seat drivers side, just thought I'd see if clunk moved to passenger side before taking the plunge with a new pair. Car is a 2003 E55 sedan, cheers for any help. Matt.

More likely to be anti roll bar drop links or maybe a broken spring? dodgy shocks don't usually make any noise but check visually for any fluid loss ON THE SHOCK BODY.

More likely to be anti roll bar drop links or maybe a broken spring? dodgy shocks don't usually make any noise but check visually for any fluid loss ON THE SHOCK BODY.
Thanks for reply, I've changed the drop links and the air bags were changed not so long ago, sub frame bushes look in good order, no oil leaks from shocks that I can see, that's why I'm thinking of swapping them to see

I've had front shocks make a terrible bang when going over bumps.

I've had front shocks make a terrible bang when going over bumps.

The standard W204 adaptive dampers which work using an internal mechanical mechanism can fail and be the cause of a clunk at the front. It was the subject of Technical Service Bulletin # LI32-25_P-048381. I haven't heard of the same problem on rear dampers but it may be possible.

Took both shocks off today to see if could find the source of the knock I've been getting, I think I've found the problem, shock on drivers side (knock side) was missing its rubber top mount (body side, not boot side) swapped them around just to be sure and the knock has moved to passenger side. Does anyone know what that part is called/part number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom