Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Why can't I buy quality British-made shoes at a reasonable price that fit properly any more? For many years I've worn Barker shoes in a "G" fitting that fit like a glove, but Barker's products have fallen off a cliff in the last five years both in breadth of range and quality of product. Loake's sort of fit, but aren't anywhere near as comfortable as Barker's were. Church's don't fit any better and are more costly than Loake's. I can't be the only bloke in the country that needs a "G" fitting, so what other manufacturers are worth seeking out?

Aquascutum were always the best for me when I was a "suit" in terms of employment.

We have a wonderful little shop in Norwich which seems to be able to magic up most things and still gives you a hand written recipt. I'm in Loakes G fitting and they never fail to get me something that fits.

http://www.bowhillandelliott.co.uk/about.htm

Can't get Daytona boots there for the bike, but they sort me out for most other things!

Can only agree about Barkers. Im an 11 F/G depending on style. Have stopped buying Barkers ((they went all W210 for me)(ducks and runs for cover)) M&S went thru a brilliant stage and have now fallen off again. I hardly wear trainers (Hi Tec Silver Shads when I do) as my days of running, jumping and throwing things are resting. Im more "Man at Matalan" nowadays - if you cant get what you would like - might as well get it cheap, except for Jeans. Cant abide saggy baggy cheapos, less Im working on the car. So Wranglers sort me there. Matalan again. Nope, dont work for Matalan! So come on you shoe guys - let your secret out.

Loakes for me, very comfortable and can be found on the t'internet at very reasonable prices. I have two pairs of Loakes' Chelsea boots (black and brown) that have lasted for years and are very good quality.

Probably the best bit would be to get down to your local branch of "jones the bootmaker" I have bought own brand stuff of theirs which is good aswell as Boss.

Used to use Russell & Bromley at bluewater/bromley but they are getting bang out of order in terms of prices.

Some -- all? -- of the leading UK manufacturers have been taken over by the Italians (and others). They have a different perspective on styles and sizes. I'm glad I bought top quality a decade and more ago, as they are all still in service because I treat them as well as I do my cars.

http://www.elegant-lifestyle.com/classic_shoes.htm

Not that there's anything wrong with Italian shoes per se. Because of good design and construction, the most durable pair I own are Italian.

Try a Google search: several wide-fitting options come up, including from traditional sources.

Last edited:
Go to Italy and get them made to measure....the first pair will cost a bit but thereafter they'll cost less.

Always Timberlands. Boots for the winter and deck shoes for the summer.

Boots were 140 quid in 2004 and still going strong.
Deck shoes 120 quid in 2001 and stil goind strong.

I've just killed a pair of Loakes in a space of about 5 months. Not like I do a lot of walking as I drive to work. Not worth resoling as the uppers seem to have worn badly too.

Best shoes I've ever had are my driving shoes - Pikolino (sp) - and they're wonderful. My wife swears by them too, but I've never seen a pair smart enough for work. Shame as they're wonderfully comfy and superb quality for the money.

When I'm in the office it's a 3/4 mile walk form the car to office so I gave up on "proper" shoes about 15 years ago, since then I've brought proper shoes i.e 2 (just 2) pairs of Dr Martens. Second pair are giving up the ghost at the moment. Just noticed they now do the classic 3 eye shoe in their For-Life range. I may never need to buy another pair of shoes again. :D

Give grensons a try

have you tried Grensons? I am a G fitting and I like their stuff and the range (lots of classic styles not very a la mode me:eek:) . If I am buying quality shoes they are the brand for me.

Google a company called Pediwear and see what comes up when you use the search engine on their site.

Jones Bootmaker for me. But I don't have big floppity feet like most of you.

PJ

You could try JSimons near Covent Garden. They do american shoes such as Bass loafers and also lace up american shoes too.;)

Try Gordon Scott, a few stores in London, some elsewhere in the country.

John Lobb is as good as it gets, very pricey though. (Jermyn Street - now does ready to wear as well as bespoke).

I always used to go to Barkers store in Regent Street as they seemed to have a better range there. But they no longer do the tassle loafers I like, I agree the quality seems to have slipped a little.

Loake never fit me properly abd I never managed to find a pair of Church's I liked.

EDIT:- I'm terrible with shoes (Have more pairs that the OH) and I always look at someones shoes when I meet them, you can tell an awful lot about someone by the state fo their footwear and socks....sad really

Last edited:
Hudsons for me every time, amazingly comfortable :) and Timberlands for boots :cool:

I always used to go to Barkers store in Regent Street as they seemed to have a better range there. But they no longer do the tassle loafers I like, I agree the quality seems to have slipped a little.
Living where I do, I always used to go to the Barker Factory Shop in Northampton where you could get the full range, as most stockists only ever kept a few styles and almost none stocked the G-fitting I need. Funny, but it's the tassle loafers that were always a favourite of mine, too. Why on earth did they stop making them? :(
Loake never fit me properly abd I never managed to find a pair of Church's I liked.
That mirrors my experience exactly. You're not the brother I never knew I had, are you? ;) :D
EDIT:- I'm terrible with shoes (Have more pairs that the OH) and I always look at someones shoes when I meet them, you can tell an awful lot about someone by the state fo their footwear and socks....sad really
Yes, you are the brother I never knew I had :D :D :D

M&S shoes are often available in extra width sizes. I dont see the attraction of paying £100++ for a pair of shoes. I also dont think buying cheap shoes is the way forward either. Mid-price is the thing - unless of course you have very deep pockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom