Shooting Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is everyone getting a little flakey with Covid?

To return to the topic - if I dare - I have a CLS SB and, for me, it embodies the best of all worlds. We have two very large dogs (think Newfoundland and you're close) and occasionally need to transport them. Also, love antiques and occasionally need to transport those. However, we do not need a boxy estate car for the majority of the time and have not, to date, needed to transport any 6'6" people. If we suddenly found we did need to, s/he could sit in the front. Other humans up to and including 6'3" have all been fine in the back seat.

So for us, the 4.7l V8 CLS SB is perfect. It provides better looks, handling, noise reduction, driving fun and ride than an E-class estate, while still being capable of swallowing dogs or a sideboard without any effort when required.

Having owned Es before, they are very capable, as is our washing machine. However, the CLS brings a smile with every mile!

For me, that is the current definition of a Shooting Brake. Whatever it was in Jane Austen novels is irrelevant. Car manufacturers are often attacked for trying to cover every niche market, but space for shotguns is one they're not aiming for in 2020.

Last edited:
Take a look at this.

Take a look at this.

😍😍😍😍😍

It's a Batmobile...

What on earth has happened to the term 'shooting brake.?

This terminology always referred to what we now call the estate car, The estate car was a shooting brake, the shooting brake was the estate car.

I look now at the very latest 'shooting brake' and it looks like a saloon car without a boot. BUT.... The roofline slopes down terribly. can someone 6'6" sit in comfort in the back seat of the latest CLS? I have no idea but the slope looks awful.

Quick look at a very nice shooting brake which we would now call an estate car. Note how rear seat passengers do not have that awful sloping roof! Each to their own and respect to those that own a modern 'shooting brake' or estate car :dk:

View attachment 106330
Depends on a couple of things;
  • Your definition of the word 'comfort'. It would appear that my definition and that of most motoring journos are poles apart. I remember when they used to say that a Mondeo, 5 Series, or even a Ford Orion or similar would seat for adults in comfort. I couldn't disagree more.
  • The size of the driver. I'm a little over 6ft and have relatively long legs. The drivers seat is at is most rearward point when I am the pilot. We won't even both going as far as available headroom but nobody, is getting in behind me, comfortable or otherwise. If I move my seat forward I am no longer comfortable.
Humans have gotten bigger over the years but have car interiors?

The roof lining is scalloped in the SB to allow a little extra headroom in the rear, but I rather doubt somebody 6'6" could sit behind a 6' driver in comfort in any standard Mercedes saloon (other than possibly an S-Class) these days. I'm 6'1", with normal - well, not unusually long; 31" inside leg - legs, and there is adequate, if not ample, legroom, behind me for another six-footer. I do have the driver's seat quite high up, though; I prefer the feeling of sitting 'on' rather than 'in' a car, and it maximises visibility for me as well. It was the same in the S212; unsurprisingly, as the 218 is essentially a 212 in a party frock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom