Shooting in munich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pembssurf

Car
toyota
Europe certainly is an interesting place right now. Is this a Possible right wing nut backlash to Merkels policies?

It certainly does seem to have increased in numbers of instances in the last year.

At least 8 confirmed dead now :/ what is happening to the world...

what is happening to the world...

Nothing that new really ... as an example in the 70's there was Bader Meinhof, and in 1980 there was the Bologna station bombing and in the 90s we had the nerve gas attack on the Tokyo transit system.

Maybe I'm just more concious of what's going on now.

I think Dryce is quite a bit older than you and me Dave.

I wouldn't have known about many of these sort of events and realised the significance until probably the late 80s / early 90s.

I think Lockerbie was the first thing probably and Omagh 12 years later.

Not to anyone specific was my post was more an observation of very recently things seems to have ramped up although like a lot of these things, probably comes in waves.

Lockerbie is probably the first major event I remember too. I do remember very vaguely a shooting somewhere that got the handgun banned, but I can't remember where it was, or what actually happened.

I'll be looking it up on google now!

Lockerbie is probably the first major event I remember too. I do remember very vaguely a shooting somewhere that got the handgun banned, but I can't remember where it was, or what actually happened.

Hmm, actually now you mention it, I remember a female PC getting shot outside an embassy in 1984.

Could well be the same thing.

Edit: This one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yvonne_Fletcher

Five years to the day that Anders Breivick committed his own massacre...

PCW Yvonne Fletcher was shot dead while protecting the Lybian embassy in 1984.

Semi-automatic rifles were banned following the 1987 Hungerford massacre:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

Handguns were banned following the 1996 Dunblane massacre:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

Same here Dave.

A family member worked (and still does) for Dumfries police and guarded the door at Lockerbie ice rink where the deceased were stored. She still talks of terrible stories of that night as though it was yesterday.

Half coated chocolate with a cup of coffee for me yum yum
Now you e given me the munchies
Click

Nothing that new really ... as an example in the 70's there was Bader Meinhof, and in 1980 there was the Bologna station bombing and in the 90s we had the nerve gas attack on the Tokyo transit system.

The irony is, according to the tv, this shopping mall was built on the site of the building where the Bader Meinhof gang carried out their attacks and was subsequently demolished. Makes one wonder if there maybe some connection?

Inevitably many of the perpetrators of these crimes are mentally ill. Radicalised or acting of their own volition they adopt a " cause" to justify acting out some dreadful psychotic impulse to harm others. I always remember a Northern Ireland criminal psychiatrist who held clinics for individuals who had been referred to him for displaying behaviour deemed potentially dangerous to society. He used to have some 30 referrals per week. After "the troubles " started ----- attendance at his clinic simply dried up------ why because suddenly such behaviour became legitimate and instead of societies rejection these people found acceptance- their behaviour now " legitimised" or tolerated by certain groups for the sake of "the cause."
One thing that often characterises these individuals is a history of mental instability and /or social isolation and perhaps these should serve as warning flags more than they do at present. Mental health provision in the UK is very poor meaning these individuals are often invisible to security forces and health professionals alike . In the past social isolation meant these individuals were less likely to be influenced by groups advocating violence as a legitimate political act but of course now we have the development of the internet meaning such individuals can be manipulated or radicalised remotely. How you combat this effectively defeats me.
I am always struck by the enormous manpower and resource devoted to these incidents ----post event---- which is of course too late. In the recent Bastille day tragedy in Nice for example the road that was the scene of the incident had been sealed off with police vehicles for a military parade earlier in the day but these vehicles had been withdrawn before the evenings celebrations! Maybe its not we aren't devoting enough resource to anti terrorism it just needs more intelligent direction?

There's sick people everywhere. I think it's quite a miracle that it doesn't happen more often these days. Radicalising groups and minorities knowing for certain they will get the attention of the media and internet ... also, finding a proper gun isn't that hard in the globalised 21st century.

Now, since we're heading straight for another world war anyway, I'd recommend to not care that much about those minor events but rather focus on the happenings in the east and what is to come in the near future that will affect us all and not just a few unfortunate souls in some shopping mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom