Shop wants to put wrong oil in tranny? (E55K)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zed82

Car
MY2003 E500
I´m doing a tranny flush tomorrow. The company that is trusted with the job is one of the best in Scandinavia. However, they want to use this oil which doesn´t meet the 236.14 spec as instructed by MB WIS for the 722.643 tranny.

http://www2.midlandoil.se/produkter/...-omnimatic.pdf

I called them up on Friday and the guy at the shop mentioned that my 5-speed tranny should have a part synthetic oil instead of the fully synthetic which is instructed by MB and the oil guides.

Is he taking me for a ride and should i insist on getting an oil that fits my tranny and the specifications?

The car in question is a E55K 2004.

+1 (above)

Sounds to me like they dont know what they're doing, I personally ONLY use MB specific oil in the tranny.....to use another make oil is allowable I guess, but whatever oil is used should at the very least be in spec!.

get the oil from your mb dealer

Hi ,

There are a number of well known make of ATF oil that meet that spec , however when I changed mine 3 or 4 months ago Mb was the cheapest (believe it or not) . Also remember when you buy from MB , they check your WDB number and make sure it is correct. As mine is a slk 200 2002 model I was supplied with .10 for my 5 speed box. I could have used .14 , as ATF oils are backwards compatible . Get it from MB you know it will be correct.

Regards,
4johng

Hi ,

There are a number of well known make of ATF oil that meet that spec , however when I changed mine 3 or 4 months ago Mb was the cheapest (believe it or not) . Also remember when you buy from MB , they check your WDB number and make sure it is correct. As mine is a slk 200 2002 model I was supplied with .10 for my 5 speed box. I could have used .14 , as ATF oils are backwards compatible . Get it from MB you know it will be correct.

Regards,
4johng

The problem is that the shop want to use their own oil. It´s understandable because they can make a buck there too but i can insist on using my own oil i guess.

your car, your money, your choice!

Cant blame them wanting to use their own oil, but, after you have paid them you are leaving with an oil in your expensive transmission that is not rated to the MB spec and if you have any tranny problems later on, you will always be wondering if the wrong oil caused it.

Insist on MB oil and problem is over.

I want it to be done til perfection. That´s why i´m asking.

In which case insist they use the correct oil. Tell them you want MB genuine oil not any other brand.

Even if you tell them that you insist on genuine MB oil, what's to stop them putting their own in and telling you they used MB oil? Take it somewhere that wants to use the correct oil!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom