Short break to Marrakech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
All

Mrs JB and I just got back from our first break away from the kids in 22 years.
If any of you are thinking of Morocco - here is our take on Marrakech:-

Well, we are now back.
Quite an experience.
I can thoroughly recommend the Riad we stayed in:-
Riad Chayma Boutique Hotel in Marrakech Morocco
Where literally nothing was too much trouble.
Some of the comments made to us before we left are correct about being viewed as a walking cash giveaway.
The Medina can be a scary place indeed - you really do feel the "eyes" on you but as you gain some cautious confidence you can relax just enough to enjoy the experience. We got very lost indeed.
Taxis are so cheap (and rough) it is frightening.
Can also recommend:-
Heritage Spa : Beauté et bien être à Marrakech
where we had a hammam and massage (which is bonkers incidentally, not my thing at all but boy did I feel clean!!!)
Kamal the guide who runs a very decent tour system with his brother:-
Marrakesh Keys Travel

and finally a couple of restaurants:-
Restaurant Marrakech - Restaurant PEPE NERO Marrakech - Restaurants Marrakech (don't be put off by the area you drive through to get there, top quality place and a massive Mojito for about a fiver)
and Catanzaro - whose website I can't find, this is their tripadvisor page so you get the drift:-
Europe Tourism: Best of Europe - TripAdvisor ... egion.html
We had our final dinner there - two courses, a decent bottle of wine (not the house wine), Mrs JB had a fillet steak (and it was a fillet!), and I had possibly the biggest Osso Bucco I have ever been served (which is quite a few) - the bill was just a sniff over £35.

Hopefully the above might help someone in the future - the way the replies to my OP did help us - so thanks guys.

Thanks for that.
Me & SWMBO are going to Marrakech at the end of July.
Staying at Riad Palais Sebban
edit
Your link for Catanzaro doesn't seem to work - just takes me to a general trip advisor page

Last edited:
Apols for wrong link:-
Catanzaro, Marrakech - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Palais Sebban looks nice.
I presume you are aware of just how fiercely hot it gets around that time of year? For example, when we got there it was 14 degrees and foggy but the temp steadily rose the first day - web averages for April say around 17-23 degrees. It was 35 degrees in the sun as we left on Saturday. I recall the Riad manager and the guide both saying that high summer (July) would be around 40-45 degrees.....
Incidentally, although our Riad was a smaller one (chosen on purpose), it was very close to a "gate" in the Medina so only a short walk to a main road/taxis etc. Some of the Riads are torturous to get to on foot with cases etc when you get dropped off "close" from the airport - obviously they don't publicise that - just be aware and double check.
We ate three times at the Riad which was most agreeable - they bring in a chef if you are prepared to order the night before.

We've got 3 nights in Marrakech then 2 nights in the Atlas Mountains at Kasbah Angour where it is supposed to be cooler then 5 nights on the coast at Essaouira staying at Heure Bleue Palais
40/45 degrees is a bit warm, we had 40 degrees in Turkey a couple of years ago and daytime was spent in the shade around the pool, too hot for anything else.
edit
Our transfers are supposed to be "Private Transfers" - we are assuming Taxi's
Our "package" was put together by Vikki Coe - recomended to us by Mr E a couple of years ago. Very pleased with her efforts so far

Last edited:
My wife and I went to travel agents today to book a2 week trip to Marrakech and agidir and ended up booking pacific coast of Mexico, still not sure how it happened.

You're doing it the right way Piff - 3 days in the total madness that is the Medina is enough. I do fear for the heat there though as there isn't much air!!!
Atlas Mountains - we did that via Kamal at Marrakesh Keys Tours. A superb day - Berber village house visit, a climb up the waterfalls etc. And about 8/10 degrees cooler.

Only advice I can give for the Medina is hold your nerve and look like you know what you are doing!! Watch out for the latest tricksters - "Hello mate, remember me, I work in the Riad and it's my day off - where can I help you get to?".....

Enjoy. You will.

About 10 years ago I did a five day trek over the high atlas with the Mrs (then girlfriend) with a three night riyad stay in Marrakech at the end. We went in June and it was 40 during the dayand 0 in the mountains at night. It never really felt as hot as it was in Marrakech as your are usually in shadow. The Moroccans are nice people if a bit full on in the souks. I would go back. I The French quarter Guelize is walkable from the main square and provide a bit of respite from the tourist lunacy (with great coffee to boot). Despite the pressure to buy/sell don't take any nonsense from the sellers if you aren't buying tell them but be polite, they can be easily offended. museum is really good too. Avoid the water sellers and other tourist nonsense. Get a guide from a reputable company and be prepared to be dragged around a few places as its how they earn a little extra. Restaurants around the main square are generally pretty good. Oh and bring Imodium and rehydration sachets.

+2 on that - daughter and SIL recently returned from a week in Marrakech / Atlas Mountains, and in her own words "we used just about everything in our first aid kit, especially the immodium and rehydrate sachets!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom