Short film from 1906.....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Shows Traffic in San Francisco, USA.
Amazing how crowded the roads are.
Apparently this is the very first film shot in 35mm.

Well worth watching...................
:thumb:

YouTube - Air - La Femme D'Argent

More info............

THIS IS REALLY UNBELIEVABLE! NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS, NO RULES.

This is a fascinating movie. A camera was mounted on the front of a street car 104 years ago (1906). Perhaps the oldest "home movie" that you will ever see! I watched it a couple of times. Look at the hats the ladies were wearing and the long dresses. Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side. I wonder when they standardized on the left? Sure were still a lot of horse drawn vehicles in use. Mass transit looked like the way to get around. Looks like everybody had the right of way.

Watch the beginning carefully. At the 33 second mark and immediately after an oncoming trolley clears the screen, a well dressed policeman walks across the street from left to right. Notice his right hand that he's carrying a truncheon (26 inch police baton) and although he appears walking his beat, he looks ready to use it. Imagine the police of today walking down the street carrying a 26 inch club in their hand...???

This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a street car. The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. The clock tower at the end of
Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf in San Franciscois still there.

How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!
This film was originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the
NilesEssanaySilentFilmMuseum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing, to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!). It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906
and shipped by train to NY for processing.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the "Frogger" arcade game.

What a well thought out road system. :rolleyes:

I actually felt like I'd had a "Whacky Woodbine" whilst viewing that... :D

Best short film I have seen in many many years. Thank you kindly.

W.

What was available to the NY'er in the form of a Benz in 1906 I wonder .........??

Great.

Cars where RHD.

Is it me, or did the people seem to take very big strides?

Amazing footage. See how the pedestrians have absolutely no priority. They have to jump or run out the way of vehicles. :eek: The drivers paying little regard for the safety of the pedestrians.

Great find!

Amazing footage. See how the pedestrians have absolutely no priority. They have to jump or run out the way of vehicles. :eek: The drivers paying little regard for the safety of the pedestrians.

Great find!

Who had priority is a good question. The answer seems to be NOBODY, all for one and one for all. Some very close shaves and daredevil driving, plus kids playing chicken too. :crazy:

Thanks Dave for posting this film. It is good to see that things have change very little in some ways and a great deal in others.

Great.

Cars where RHD.

Is it me, or did the people seem to take very big strides?

I noticed that, too. There is one person (at 20 seconds) who clearly has just stepped out for lunch from his office in the Ministry of Funny Walks.

In fact, it reminds me of how the Firemen used to walk in Trumpton as they turned out for roll call.

I'd kill for the audio to be the real sound - shame they hadn't mastered that yet :(

Even the local average joe's dressed classy, love it.

Wow, at 4:20 someone trying to avoid being run over - at 5:00 the kids hanging onto the car as it drives past... some great captures.

thanks.added to my youtube favs,,stunning music too thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom