short lived alarm issue r129 tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
hi

this evening popped out to the shop and noticed that my washer fluid was running low so topped it up

when done i closed bonnet, locked car (in garage) and closed garage door and the alarm went off

quickly opened garage door, unlocked car (and alarm went off), locked it again and again alarm went off after about 30 seconds (5 mins before when at the shop all was fine)

i opened the car and opened the bonnet again and closed it again and now all is fine

could it be that i did not close the bonnet properly the first time and that this sets off the alarm?

btw bloody freezing out there tonight -6 celsius

cheers

could it be that i did not close the bonnet properly the first time and that this sets off the alarm?
Sounds likely. Or a slightly dodgy contact in the bonnet switch.

When you say 'alarm went off', did you mean the alarm sounded, or switched off?

yep likely to be a dodgy contact or indeed that the bonnet didnt quite catch on both sides the first time..

alarm went off (lots of noise in a confined space :) )

thanks for all your comments!

It must be weak contact in the bonnet switch, easy to check hold the bonnet open, hold down the switch (with your thumb) and lock the car (with the key fob) if the alarm still sounds then the switch is on its way out. easy to replace.

switch seems fine after testing it with thumb method, most likely i did not close bonnet properly first time around

Bonnet switches are exposed to a lot of heat/vibration/moisture/etc. and can become unreliable. I've disconnected them on a couple of my cars in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom