Short runs in my W211 270CDI.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrcbenz

Car
W212 E250 CDI Avantgarde
Good evening all,

Since changing jobs I no longer have to wake up at the crack of dawn for a 1.5 hour one way commute on the M4, 5 days a week, which is good. My faithful 270CDI was taking on some mileage, but what a great car to be commuting in. I was getting around 45-47 MPG (some times better) which is great for such a large car.

Now I have a 10 minute commute of about 4 miles in stop start traffic to the office, so driving her more like a taxi these days. I may have to pop out to other offices as part of my job during the week with round trips of 6-8 miles a few times a day or less. I'm just wondering if these short runs will put more strain on the car? Mine is a 52 plate Avantgarde (air matic) with almost 122K on the clock. One of the early ones with a reputation for lots to go wrong. But mine's been great apart from the regular servicing and a few things that needed replacing due to the age of the car but that is expected I guess. It gets a long(ish) run to York from Leeds each weekend when I see my girlfriend. At the moment the car runs as expected. I put in premium grade diesel from BP last week as an experiment, as I heard it's better for the engine. Although it costs more than normal diesel, I find the car runs a lot smoother and I get a bit more MPG on the short runs. Pulling away with the gearbox in W mode seems very smooth. Also, I don't seem to have that judder when the engine is cold just as it is changing up a gear. Will see what that is like when it's much colder.

Will be glad to hear your thoughts if you run your W211 in a similar way. I'd like to hang on to my car for as long as possible as I think I have a good one, well, it's a Benz after all.

Thanking you in advance.

Pootling about in the week and a blast at weekends. Cant see any harm in that. Feed it some injector cleaner now and again and I think you will be fine and dandy.

It has no DPF either so you wont clog that although with the above advice (blast at weekends), you'd probably be OK anyway.

The only thing to beware of is that this lifestyle will be very hard on the battery - it takes a lot of juice to start a diesel and short runs don't give it enough time to recharge. Over time, expect the battery to get weak on you (plenty of warning via the "Convenience features temprarily disabled" message).

Thank you gents (trapperjohn, JohnEBoy and prprandall51) for your advice. JohnEBoy, as my car is a diesel, I thought it would have a DPF? And where does one put the injector cleaner and which should I buy? Redex? As the winter approaches I may change the current battery to a more heavy duty one, say a Bosch or Varta AGM, but the AGM ones are more expensive.

Last edited:
I run my e320cdi to work and back about 6 miles daily or about 70 miles per week.

JohnEBoy, as my car is a diesel, I thought it would have a DPF?

I think yours will have escaped it - on age if it is a pre-October 2003/52 (this is when the 4 cylinders got them) and the start of 2004 is when the 6 cylinder engines got them. Your car is a 5 cylinder so I'm presuming they started with the 6s.

I think the biggest issue for your car will be the SBC brake system lifetime limit. I love my S211 220Cdi, but it's used mainly on long runs with fewer brake applications per mile, and I tend to use the hobby cars for local pootling. Try not using the brakes as Mercedes clearly intended you shouldn't!!!!

Agree unlikely any DPF on your car. I would buy Forte injector cleaner and change the fuel filter. Fill up the new filter with Forte on fitting and start the car on this neat to clean the injectors. It will run fine and diesel will eventually pump through. I recommend 300ml of 2 stroke added to each tank full of diesel. I've been doing this for nearly 2 years on all my diesels and they do run more smoothly. The S211 developed a leaking HP pump. Earlier use of the 2 stroke may have prevented this.

Forte Diesel Treatment is what I use. Red EX - Millers its all good stuff. It goes into the main fuel tank.

Very impressive with them short runs ! :thumb:

Yeah, I am very pleased with MPG i get out of my e320cdi.
Best part I fill car up every week (say top up) and sometime can go through all week (7 days) without visiting station and fuel gauge wont move from full tank mark :thumb:

@JohnEBoy ...

My car was first registered Nov 2003 upon checking the doc. Would it have the PDF?

@mejermy ...

Good point about the SBC. I had a brand new SBC pump courtesy of MB about 1.5 years ago when I printed off the thread from this site. There was no charge even on the age of my car and I never serviced it at my local main dealer. What do you mean by 'don't use the brakes as MB intended?' Thanks for the tips about the fuel filter and 2 stroke, will do that if it preserves the car for a bit longer.

@Bakili ...

I get the same MPG on the best days. All depends what part of the city I have to drive to and if there are lots of lights and hilly.

Even though the new E-Class W212 is out and handsome cars they are too, my old W211 still looks the business in my opinion. Many have complimented on the comfort of the ride and don't think it's 10 years old.

@JohnEBoy ...

My car was first registered Nov 2003 upon checking the doc. Would it have the PDF?

I doubt it still but to be sure - I think you have to remove the cover from the top of the engine and look at the back of the air filter housing and see if there is a multi-plug connection from that leading to a sensor with a couple of pipes connected to a silver metal unit.

If you search on eBay for 'diesel particulate filter c270', you can see what it looks like.

Interestingly, I can't see one for a C270, but I've found results suggesting the 270 did have one from a certain age.

It could be the 270 never had one as I believe the engine was dropped due to emissions anyway (EU4 or 5 I think).

Adding two-stroke to your fuel is no bad thing - but these days, diesel has a legal minimum 7% biodiesel - which is the best diesel lubricant there is. The days of failing injectors and pumps from low-sulphur, zero biodiesel fuel are now a distant memory.

Short runs are only an issue for clogging up DPF's - and since you don't have one (confirm with your a dealership parts dpt), you have no worries on that front.
The only other consideration therefore, is the effect of more cold running on your oil. I find a 5W/30 tends to get past the turbo seals, making for a smellier exhaust - and a 10W/40 makes the engine a bit noisy when cold ... so I use Castrol Edge 5W/40 - best of all worlds.

And don't forget to change your transmission fluid every 50K or so.

Thank you gents JohnEBoy and Lord-WYBMAnE220 for your latest replies. I had some fuel pipes and the fuel filter replaced yesterday as the car had a slight leak. I got Scott's Auto Tec (a great little indy in Leeds) to do the work and at the same time had my oil changed to 5W/40, oil filter change and engine flushed with Forte and Forte fuel additive added to the tank. Took the car for a blast and what an amazing difference. The engine felt very smooth even for the age of the car. So again, thanks very much for the tips and advice. This is a great forum. By the way, if you live in West Yorks/Leeds, Scott's Auto Tec is a great indy. The owner Melvin seemed a very honest and pleasant guy. He has Star etc. Will be taking my car back to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom