Short Trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TOPMERCS

Hi guys, have a question to ask, a mate of mine has a E reg w124 300d,has to do about 4-5 miles every day for school runs (return trip) takes between 25 - 40mins(depending on traffic), he works from home, has to park the car untill evening and do the same in the evening.the question is will that short trip be harmful to the 300d, or because it takes 30mins on average it is ok. -Is it the short milage that harms or short period of running the vehicle????, Can anyone assist on this, thanks.If it is harmful what does it affect apart from the exhaust??, also does that mean he has to get oil changes more often? - Bear in mind in between the week there are sometimes 2 - 3 days that will have a run of more than 10 miles per day, weekends are different-does take it to motorways.(recently purchased the merc and loves it to bits,wants to look after it)

This type of use is less harmful on a diesel than a petrol.On a petrol the rich fuel/air mixture from a cold start washes the oil from the cylinders causing eventual premature wear-diesel oil is somewhat more kinder in this respect as it has lubricating properties itself.
As long as the car is running for half an hour as you say at full working temp i think he will be OK--this will burn off condensation in the crankcase and exhaust.

So does that mean i have a problem? I travel from Portsmouth to near Winchester each day, a distance of 28 miles each way, and it takes on average 30 to 35 minutes each way as its nearly all motorway.

Pietre said:
So does that mean i have a problem? I travel from Portsmouth to near Winchester each day, a distance of 28 miles each way, and it takes on average 30 to 35 minutes each way as its nearly all motorway.
Problem???no,-thats probably the best way to use your car,quick warm-up,steady speed and engine loads,no stop start-excellent!!You`ll get better MPG and increased service intervals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom