shortest time of having car??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320markyboy

hi there my names Mark,
About a week and a bit ago i bought myself a CLk320 cabriolet 1999. picked the car up on a thursday lunch time from mercedes benz of bristol (car came from mercedes benz of south end) i work as a nightclub manager in south devon so took the car to work showing it off, on my way back from work at about 12:30 a drunk driver failed to stop at a stop sign and went into the side of my CLK i had the car for less than 12 hours and now i havent had it for about 10days so far while the bloody insurance company sort it out!!

to add insult to injury when i took the car to mercedes benz of exeter the snooty bird on the bodyshop counter, goes to me "oh you must be the boy who crashed his mercedes after having it only a few days" (had been speaking to her on the phone in the morning) can you belive it???????

Im only 24 and do dress a bit messy but is it policy to speak to customers who spend alot of money on prestige cars like poo???

anyone else had trouble with: 1 drunk drivers taking out your new pride and joy or 2 snooty bodyshop receptionists thinking they are better than you??

cheers, its nice to share my pain...

Mark

Thats soo unforutanate and sorry to hear that. Hopefully bodyshop shall fix it up good as new. Personally (touch the wood - have not experiecned anything like that yet...).

As for the snotty receptionist ignore her and had it been me I would have told her that she needs "to get out and about a bit more..." and reminded her who pays he wages and pointed out how ill manered she is.

Flash

Mercedes Benz in Australia once sold a guy an SL500 in the late eighties/early nineties who wrote the car off at the second intersection he came to after collecting the car.

Some people!

I seem to remember Andrew Ridgley (ex of pop group Wham) picking up his brand new BMW and getting about 50yards or less before writing it off.

Last year in Brazil our newly arrived country manager picked up car from dealer. A few minutes later in traffic tap on window. He looks up from fiddling with radio to find himself being made the kind of offer you cannot refuse by Mr 9mm & friends. To the huge amusement of onlookers was left at the roadside minus car, cash, wallet, phone, watch etc but with benefit of numerous cuts & bruises.

Police, who turned up a very few moments after this event had taken place but took a very long time to take details and even longer to call it in, told him to consider himself very lucky (a) he still had his shoes and (b) was still able complain about it.

Some years back, a guy purchased a bike from our local dealer, told the shop he was a competent rider, pulled out the showroom, turned left, pulled a wheelie to show how good he was and flipped the bike........smashed to pieces and his ego even more !

I crumpled my brand new Metro with less than 500 miles on the clock and less than a week old into the rear of a hesitant driver at a busy roundabout.

Basically what happened is I usually drive in the fast lane, but as the car was running in, I thought I would take the slow lane.

The lady in front, thought she would go, and I went too,
but presumably she thought the car coming around the roundabout was coming a bit too quick and changed her mind and stopped, and I went into the back of her :( my fault of course, compounded by the fact the Metro's brake is in a real different position to my last car, and the emergency braking wasn't as emergency as I would have liked it to have been.

But had I stayed in my usual fast lane on my commute to work it wouldn't have happened.

Funnily enough on my local radio this morning, they said the record was something like 20 or so minutes in Birmingham.

I had a snooty response from the service ar** at the VW dealer in Exeter once. Went in to have a leccy window fixed on my then nearly new Polo. Turns out they charged me for the door clips which they did not replace, and forgot the big screw that holds the trim to the door skin. As i got in and pulled the grab handle the door card came away in my hands!!! :mad:

Went in and complained about being charged for parts not changed and the shoddy repair and mentioned that maybe i should take my business elsewhere. The bloke said "That's ok sir, we have more than enough customers already!!" damn cheek. :eek: :confused:

He had luckily failed to notice the smart elderly gent and his wife contemplating a new £25k Passat behind me. When i turned round and said "you hear that, they have more than enough customers already, better buy it somewhere else then" the sales manager took me and the ar** aside rather swiftly to sort out the altercation! ;) At least i got the window repair (£117) free after that!! :bannana: Never went back though...

my dads a class

car hit in car park at dealers 1 hour before hand over got phone call,he had to drive down to check on the damage, headlight front grill reversed into by tow truck just before it was to be put in the showroom for collection :eek: :( .................my dad armed with earthing tape stuck it in secret places all over the car as he was promised a new one and guess what when the new one arrived it had earthing tape in secret places all over SALESMAN :eek: :eek: :eek: MANAGER :eek: :eek: dad big :D new car week after

Nice one.... I personally would have "blaytantly" made a note of chassin vin no. etc. in front of them so they would not even attempt to go down that road...

Flash

A few years back I left my week-old R1100GS in my Dad's drive when I was visiting my brand-new daughter in hopsital. He reversed into/over it with his Shogun with predictable results.

Twice my wife has parked her week-old company car in his drive, he did the same again. Didn't _quite_ get all the way over those times though.

He eventaully trashed it against my (granite) gatepost, and replaced it with an ML. Within a week he'd bashed the rear wheel-arch in.

Most of us have a DD or SO to pay our premiums - he has a standing order to pay his excess! When we visit him we tend to park well away from his car!!

Many years ago I woked as an auto electrician.
We had an unregistered S class come in for a radio install, however the pedals had beed modified (accelerator on the left, if I recall), as the new owner had a gammy leg.
I will never forget the sight of the car fishtailing its way round the back of our compound, finally coming to rest embedded in a portakabin (having actailly moved it about 6 inches.
Now, I know the car wasn't written off, but it did have considerable damage to the front end.

I also towed in a brand new Morris Ital on a Saturday morning that the owner had picked up the previous afternoon, and crashed. I did feel sorry, as it was an elderly gentleman (not hurt), and his wife told me how upset he was as it was fis first new car.

Flash said:
Nice one.... I personally would have "blaytantly" made a note of chassin vin no. etc. in front of them so they would not even attempt to go down that road...

Flash

my dad likes to give em enough rope, and theirs a method in his madness free mud flaps car mats service for mixup sales man blamed sevice service blamed sales, manager blamed uncle tom cobley and all :D my dad just soaking it all up,and 10 coffeas biscuits that had to be sent out for :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I was a bit younger, I worked in an insurance broker's office. I'd always been a VW nut and one day, a guy came in to insure a brand new Golf GTi 16v. This was when the 16v engine had just come out, so around '86. I was 17ish and dead jealous. I wrote out his proposal, and his cover note for 1st August. I asked if he would bring it down to show us on the 1st so that I could swoon. He agreed to at some point during the day, after he'd had a bit of a blast.

Some time in the afternoon of the 1st, he did indeed come into the office, with his wife and two children, and looking exceedingly sheepish ... apart from the cuts and bruises that they all had. He was ushered into the manager's office where he completed a claim form. It would seem that a new, not run-in, Golf GTi 16v is not as fast as he thought it would be and perhaps, in hindsight, the overtake on a country road, approaching a blind bend, was not such a good idea ... especially when a car is coming the opposite way :eek: .

The car was a write-off; I don't think his wife allowed him to buy another GTi :p . I don't know who was more gutted though - me or him :(

I always get a little paranoid when overtaking incase something at the last minute comes in the opposite direction (which is why its always useful/handy to have a car with some power for these situations).

Flash

test drive

i was browsing a car showroom when thir was some commotion, someone had crashed a lexus 200 on a roundabout,him and his wife in hospital salesman in office having a brandy managed to look at lexus as it arrived on the back of a truck every airbag had gone off,and it was bent double,the bloke had floored it on a roundabout and slide into a lampost ..which was being removed as we went home ...also the police needed to interview the man as the salesman said he drove like a mad man.............some test drive

This drifts from the main theme but.... A few years ago I had a customer who moaned like stink that his new gas fire was noisy. It wasnt, honest, but he 'demanded' and new replacement, oh, plus compo as well :eek: . Anyway, I offered him to have, on loan, the showroom display model and if it was quiet he could have it, and NO compo. He agreed. The only caveat was that the showroom could not be without its dispaly model so would he mind if I removed his 'noisy' one to the shop window while he 'tested' the new showroom one. Yep' thats OK he says. So, we turn up, take his noisy one away, give it a damn good clean up and take it back to his place and reconnect it :D . I leave it for him to use for a few days then ring him up to ask?, yes, you guessed it, the 'Showroom' one was perfect and he would be happy to accept it. :D :D :D

By the way, my employer at the time was........good old British Gas.

Very sheepishly, as if, Portzy

Yup.
MB of exeter suck.... as do VW/Audi of Exeter and so do Volvo of Exeter.

I live in Cornwall, but instead of taking my Benz to Exeter i have a nice little drive and take it to MB of Poole. They are excellent and even though i drive a 94 e-class they dont care, I'm just as important to them as an SL55 driver, or so they make it seem :)

money

ChrisH said:
Yup.
MB of exeter suck.... as do VW/Audi of Exeter and so do Volvo of Exeter.

I live in Cornwall, but instead of taking my Benz to Exeter i have a nice little drive and take it to MB of Poole. They are excellent and even though i drive a 94 e-class they dont care, I'm just as important to them as an SL55 driver, or so they make it seem :)

you see most people buy lease or contract, service is included they still need mugs like you and me to fund the £££££ for services and overpriced work they may carry out, are now giving us the flannal and yes sir because they have found out we are paying customers so when the money tree from lease and php runs out who will / should still be there, the paying customer £22,000quid you get jack shit customer service go to a good indi and build a good relationship and knollage base with him pays in the long run

Wrote a letter off to merc of exeter and merc uk, had a reply back from Merc of exeter saying the person involved has been delt with so on so on.
decided to give the bloke who phoned me a ring to see what was happening with my motor, the car should be back by the 24th of sept not bad seeing i only had the car for 12 hours and havent had it for almost a month. anyways asked the bloke about what happened to the person involved, it turns out that she was disciplined and that they are restructuring the front of house staff so she will probably be made redundant!! ha ha stupid snotty bi**h got what was coming to her. very tempted to go and pick my car up looking as scruffy as i can manage just to try to get a response from other members of staff there.

the drunk driver did get done for it as well which was nice

just typical as well my boss here at the nightclub had bought a 54 clk500 cabriolet. gutted!

i'll post a pic when i get the bloody thing back!!

laters, Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom