Should Bernie be allowed to ‘walk’?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
So £400 MILLION in hidden money he didn’t declare/ pay tax on.

Admitted he is guilty of fraud, and he gets a suspended sentence.
sorry, it doesn’t feel like justice to me.

It patently shows one rule for the rich, another for “the poor”.

Bang him up, his age is immaterial- or at 92 are we all suddenly allowed to break the law in the knowledge that there is no downside?

So £400 MILLION in hidden money he didn’t declare/ pay tax on.

Admitted he is guilty of fraud, and he gets a suspended sentence.
sorry, it doesn’t feel like justice to me.

It patently shows one rule for the rich, another for “the poor”.

Bang him up, his age is immaterial- or at 92 are we all suddenly allowed to break the law in the knowledge that there is no downside?
What would you like to see??

And it costs the tax payer even more money.
Get him to repay all the monies he has avoided paying to date, plus a proportionate fine.
And employing someone to wipe his ****, dress him, feed him etc etc.

The powers that be want their dough plus interest which is what they’ll get.

Move on.

He has paid back £653m for an offence of not declaring over £400m+
That's a lot of interest and fines.
Nothing would be achieved locking up a 92yr old after he repaid his debt and a lot more.
So the gvt have made £253 million out of him and he’s been duly punished.

Good decision.

Out of the £653 m,
They should take the full cost for his incarceration for 7 years. (even if he only does 50%). And give it to the prison service.

As for “nothing to be achieved locking up a 92year old“, it’s called JUSTICE.
It serves as a deterrent.

If a 92 year old defrauded you directly, or your family, would you say never mind?

what if it’s a 92year old drug baron?

a 92yr old paedo?

a 92yr old murderer?

Did he give a flying fig to the people of this country, care about what that money could do to help the lives of others?

Hes probably laughing his head off quaffing a glass of Krug.

Last edited:
I think the case is even more complex than you can imagine, it would take years to unravel it and the cost ridiculous.
Whilst I do not condone unlawful dealings, I will say that he is a major reason that the UK has a multi-billion motorsport industry employing over 30,000 people, not counting the spin-offs from that technology into main stream industry......

I think the case is even more complex than you can imagine, it would take years to unravel it and the cost ridiculous.
Whilst I do not condone unlawful dealings, I will say that he is a major reason that the UK has a multi-billion motorsport industry employing over 30,000 people, not counting the spin-offs from that technology into main stream industry......
Exactly. Think of the bigger picture.

It’s not that complex.
You are honest or a criminal.

How many of his motorsport dealings were possibly dodgy?

playing devils advocate …..

Wouldnt that be like saying Jimmy Saville should be pardoned as he raised millions for charity?

Yes he was a criminal and hopefully is roasting in hell.
An evil sociopath.

My point was more towards the inference that BE should be treated differently because he influenced millions of pounds being made in motorsport.

So the gvt have made £253 million out of him and he’s been duly punished.

Good decision.
I may be wrong as I haven’t read any articles - only headlines - but I interpreted the £400m to be an amount held in trust offshore and not declared, if so then it’s more than £230m in fines and interest.

I may be wrong as I haven’t read any articles - only headlines - but I interpreted the £400m to be an amount held in trust offshore and not declared, if so then it’s more than £230m in fines and interest.
Then we will have a happy treasury.

Yes he was a criminal and hopefully is roasting in hell.
An evil sociopath.

My point was more towards the inference that BE should be treated differently because he influenced millions of pounds being made in motorsport.
The motorsport post came along quite late in the thread. Where exactly are you going here??

I think his timing was good or lucky. We've just announced the prisons are full and it's first come, first served.

We wouldn’t have enough room to lock up all tax avoiders. The penalties are quite harsh with fines and interest charges but perhaps imposing a higher tax rate ,say 50/60%, for a few years might be a suitable punishment

Unlike the US, we don't have plea bargains over here. A criminal can expect an unspecified 'discount' if they enter a guilty plea at the earliest opportunity, but that's about it

Except... that this isn't entirely true. For tax-related offences, we actually do have an unofficial de-facto plea bargaining system.

The idea is that tax trials can be long and complicated and it's nigh-on impossible to find a jury that can understand the issues.

For this reason, the defendant's legal team can agree a plea deal with the prosecution, and while it's not legally binding, judges respect it because they know that the alternative is them trying to explain complex tax issues to 12 laymen, not an easy task.

And so that's what (most likely) happened in BE's case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom