Should I ask for my money back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technophobe

Car
W204 C200cdi BlueEfficiency Elegance
I didn't get off to a very good start with my pre-owned C200. Paid main dealer rates (i.e. above the odds) and had problems from the start with the vehicle - delivered to me with a puncture, 2 tyres (including the punctured one) were well below Mercedes minimum of 3mm and the car was due for a major service in just over 3 months (i.e. just outside the time when they would be required to service it prior to delivery). After a lot of toing and froing, we came to a settlement. They replaced both tyres and covered the cost of the service. Result.

At the service, I got an advisory about a leaking turbo pipe. They said it didn't need doing yet but was an advisory for the next service (by which time the car will of course be out of warranty).

A few weeks ago, when I had owned the car for about 6 months, it developed a dreadful rattle - I took it in and was told it was loose bolts on the anti-roll bar, which were tightened f.o.c..

Last night the car developed a dreadful howl on cornering, so I called out Mercedes Assist - they sent a local recovery company who identified a "catastrophic" (their word not mine) failure of the power steering which had leaked fluid all over that area of the engine compartment and the reservoir was empty. I was told not to drive the car and to ring the dealer this morning. The vehicle was collected and taken to the dealers who have scheduled to look at it on 2 January 2014 (well, it is Christmas).

Frankly, this failure is the last straw and I no longer have faith in the vehicle. They've had it back for different things 4 times now in 7 months, making it the second most unreliable vehicle I have had in 40 years of car ownership (In case anyone is wondering, a 1987 Lada Riva had a slightly worse reliability record!!!!)

So, it's a 2010 C200 with 61k on the clock, a full MBSH and cost me £15k seven months ago. I am due to speak to the Dealer Principal on Monday and intend to tell him I no longer want the vehicle. Leaving aside discussions about the Sale of goods act, 6 months as a "reasonable period" to reject a vehicle and other such well exercised arguments, am I going over the top in not wanting the car any more?

What do people think?

I would say depending on what they find wrong with the PS unit you have had no reason to reject the car at all.

Some one screwed up the PDI that was corrected and a service thrown in then a couple of loose bolts done foc.

ANY car can suffer from wear and tear failures at any time

I would wait to see what the outcome is on the PS unit it could be a simple split rubber pipe.

When you loose a bit of faith in your purchase you are left feeling whats next...................

Sometimes a nice long drive will restore your "feelings" , I had a Jag I hated because of it constantly finding new ways to empty my wallet,
then I took it on a run from London to Madrid as a last blast & run before getting rid of it, it drove flawlessly and the relationship was restored :)

Try to enjoy the thing and forget watching the gauges in front of you and enjoy the scenery...............

Last edited:
I agree with E270 owner.

The previous issues were annoying but minor in nature and at any rates they were fixed at no cost to you.

A lot will depend on what they diagnose the current issue to be and how they go about fixing it.

I think it would be very unreasonable, you won't get anywhere with this.

Yes, I have no beef with the Dealership who have gone out of their way to help when things have gone wrong - and I have no doubt they will do so in the future.

My frustration stems from the fact that I purchased a Mercedes for one reason, and one reason only - RELIABILITY.

I could have bought any of a dozen or more brand new vehicles from other manufacturers for the same OTR price - with delivery miles and a full manufacturers warranty, but (for reasons I won't go into here) my highest priority was for a car that would be most unlikely to let me down. Hence my choice. It had nothing to do with the marque, the extras or anything like that.

The car has let me down again, just at a time when I needed it the most (again, not appropriate to go into details) and this led me to feel I no longer want the vehicle. I will still talk to the Dealer about my options and see where we go.

I genuinely appreciate the comments that people have taken the time to offer, and do not disagree with the views expressed. Thank you.

It's rubbish isn't it, buying a pre-owned car of no great age, and just having constant problems. Just keep on the good side of the dealer, I fear as others have said you probably won't get much joy on a rejection. When you have numerous older cars as I do you kind of get used to minor issues, but once in a while you just think sod it, I want something new and reliable, and then you hear this.

Keep plugging on, I'm sure you'll get them all sorted.

My new Honda Civic broke down three times with electrical issues. I am quite sure had the same car been sold to someone else it would have been totally reliable!

My most reliable car with zero issues over the two years I owned it from new was a Range Rover. Verily I say unto thee, car ownership with me is a mystery.

Last edited:
I think it may be a misconception that Mercedes and other 'premium brand' cars are more reliable. Possibly many years ago but nowadays I think most cars are reliable. However things will go wrong. In particular A,B and C classes have to compete in the mass car market. Mercedes do have a quality feel and some nice touches in my opinion anyway, but I will have to wait and see if my MB will be as reliable in the long term than my previous skoda, vws and vauxhalls.

As long as it isn't the first model Jazz that my wife had and experienced a series of gearbox issues.

My Mom had the gearbox reconditioned in Summer after just 7 years and 40,000 miles in her Jazz. Not terribly impressed.

To be honest doesnt sound so bad when you break it down.

1) Tyres - 3mm is almost double legal limit but not good practice to sell with 3mm... punctures could have happened anytime... you got that sorted..

2) Advisory on turbo pipe is just one of the things dealers love to advise on as it causes the intake manifold failure... its just a "back coverer" for them. They usually pick on suspension arms too. Just change the red intake seal and its done.

3) ARB links loose... Really not even worth mentioning!

4) PAS pipe broke... well thats just luck im afraid..

Doesnt sound like the car has any real inherent fault or reliability issue.. these could happen on any car of any brand.... Remember most cars are made by one company now... Bosch.

i tend to agree with jaymanek. The faults are annoying but not deal breakers. at 60k miles things will get "found out" and need replacing etc. I guess the dealer did the usual and hope they could sell the car on without spending cash fixing them. It does not however mean the car is not fit for purpose.One question I have is why go for the C200 cdi The C220 offers better performance and MPG for a small premium.

Puncture could happen anytime ( i had a puncture a week after having a new tyre fitted ).
Since , in your own words , you paid "dealer price" for the car , you saw the mileage , presumably did not enquire about a free service , and bought the car knowing the tyres only had 3mm tread on them . Hardly the dealers fault if you do not ask for either tyres and service , or a reduction in price.
Power steering - depends on outcome , but the pump is probably not made by Mercedes anyway.
If you do not closely inspect a car before purchase i am surprised you have not encountered more problems in your 40 years of car ownership. As with many things , the quality of "lesser brands" has generally improved over the years , lessening the gap of quality ( perceived or otherwise ) between M.B. and others. Whether they admit it or not , most people do not buy Mercs with the primary consideration being reliability.
Rejection after 6 months. Would be interested to hear the outcome of that one.

If you want reliability, you should buy a Honda.

Ah ha, you're back!

Overall, I would agree. Just 'blasted' my Accord over 300 miles yesterday, not as refined as a Merc but have total faith in it.

I know it may not feel like it right now but those faults are pretty trivial (sorry to sound harsh).. I bought mine in October with rear tryes at 3mm, the dealer didn't want to change them (too inconvenient for him apparently) so I haggled harder and got £500 off..

Just before I was planning on replacing them I got a puncture, and a pair of tyres cost £115..

On the test drive the accelerator jammed wide open twice, again the dealer said something like "it's never done that to me before" and apparently my reply of "Frankly I don't care if the car tries to kill you, but I do if it tries to kill me!" wan't what he was expecting.

I negotiated £300 off for a new accelerator pedal (and then subsequently found someone hadn't refitted the underdash panel correctly and it was jamming the pedal). That was free to repair - then Karma got me and the potentiometer failed and i did really have to buy one..£120 and 10 mins work LOL

The next thing had me really worried "CHUFF CHUFF CHUFF" and a cabin full of exaust gas, I dreaded the worst..

It needed a £2 injector seal and a £3 stretch bolt..

I've only had the car 2 months so i could, if I so chose take it back and reject it, but i won't be doing that as in that 2 months i have travelled 6000 miles and the couple of little issues have been really trivial in the grand scheme of things.. AND I negotiated a good discount, AND the car was cheap before that..

I know it's not exactly comparing "apples with apples" but the issues aren't all that great and once repaired they shouldn't occur again - whereas if you reject it you'd be starting again with an unknown quantity..

Puncture could happen anytime ( i had a puncture a week after having a new tyre fitted ).
Since , in your own words , you paid "dealer price" for the car , you saw the mileage , presumably did not enquire about a free service , and bought the car knowing the tyres only had 3mm tread on them . Hardly the dealers fault if you do not ask for either tyres and service , or a reduction in price.
Power steering - depends on outcome , but the pump is probably not made by Mercedes anyway.
If you do not closely inspect a car before purchase i am surprised you have not encountered more problems in your 40 years of car ownership. As with many things , the quality of "lesser brands" has generally improved over the years , lessening the gap of quality ( perceived or otherwise ) between M.B. and others. Whether they admit it or not , most people do not buy Mercs with the primary consideration being reliability.
Rejection after 6 months. Would be interested to hear the outcome of that one.

I most certainly did more than enquire about the service - they refused but under pressure agreed to knock 15% off the cost of the service. I had to escalate it all the way to the top of the dealership to get the free service - put it in writing and had to visit twice to sort it (30 mile round trip each time). As for the tyres - same story - I had to repeatedly demand they be sorted before I got a (ultimately satisfactory) result. A reduction in price - well, I tried for that before I even knew about the above as I was aware that they were looking for top-dollar but no go. I foolishly accepted that a 54,000 mile diesel Merc was "only just run in" and accepted their chat about "good for another 20 years" etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom