Should I be put off by 180,000 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevecb

I've been saving for a 107 SL and finally I'm at stage where I can afford one. I fancy a V8 as it won't get used much but I wouldn't be adverse to a 6 cylinder. The majority on the market vary between 80 - 120k miles which is fine but as the title of my post suggests is 180k a problem waiting to happen?

I'd be more concerned about rust - especially in the areas that you cannot see but are well documented as problematic.

A replacement engine would be cheaper than a body shell strip-off and refurb.

My V8 had done close to 190k and runs fine.

At least it's unlikely to have been clocked with that sort of mileage and has been on the move blowing all the cobwebs away. Cars rust when they are left to stand.

ringway said:
My V8 had done close to 190k and runs fine. At least it's unlikely to have been clocked with that sort of mileage and has been on the move blowing all the cobwebs away. Cars rust when they are left to stand.

Merecedes rust when left to stand or when drive.....

Hi STEVECB.
My R107 reads around 33k , which i do not believe for a minute! To be honest I do not think the 450 is any better than a 280 . Mine always runs hot , and the R107 is more a Grand Tourer than a sports car. 280 performance is more than adequate for the handling . Whilst the bodywork on mine is far from pristine I have had no issues on 4 MOTS with rust. Most of the slagging off of R107s comes from people that have never owned one .Look out for rust in bulkhead/sills etc , but buy the best one you can afford. I paid £5.5k for mine but wish I had spent more as I have never been happy with the Stevie Wonder paintwork , and cannot afford a respray. They are lovely cars with great road presence , and in my opinion , better looking than their successors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom