Should I be worried?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
I was familiarising myself under the hood today and noticed a build up of what seemed like grease/dirt around the left side of the air intake (not sure if that is the correct term)

I could not see anything directly underneath to suggest an oil leak, but not sure how it would get into this state?

The other side was fine, so I take it this is not normal.
Is this an indication that something is not quite right, and if so what?

I had cleaned some off before I took photo.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 102
Would suggest an engine oil seal somewhere [ main crankshaft/vibration damper?]is leaking oil on to the drive belt which is then transporting it round the drive belt system till it reaches a sharp/ right angle change of direction and it sprays off.

Last edited:
Thanks, how can I check?

My oil level has not changed since I got the car - halfway up between min /max whilst hot.

I have cleaned it anyway, so will keep an eye on it to see if it is indeed spraying from somewhere, or maybe it was due to a problem that was fixed previously but not cleaned.

Would suggest an engine oil seal somewhere [ main crankshaft/vibration damper?]is leaking oil on to the drive belt which is then transporting it round the drive belt system till it reaches a sharp/ right angle change of direction and it sprays off.

Also, cannot see any evidence of any spray / oil on the underside of the cover.

Only other thing I can suggest is some sort of choked breather in the near vicinity. You could try getting the engine really warm and have a look for oil vapour escaping somewhere.

That's pretty normal its just a consequence of the V6 breathing system mine hasn't got any crud around the intakes yet! but my last 320 CDI was really messy until I cleaned it off and it never really returned in any great amount, dont worry about it, ive seen it many times.

Alfie

That's pretty normal its just a consequence of the V6 breathing system mine hasn't got any crud around the intakes yet! but my last 320 CDI was really messy until I cleaned it off and it never really returned in any great amount, dont worry about it, ive seen it many times.

Alfie

Thanks Alfie, that is a relief!
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom