Should I change my 124s for w210 on safety grounds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The facelift W210 model has curtain airbags to protect the head from a side impact, as well as the two side airbags and two front passenger airbags of the pre-facelift model. It also has better crush protection for the front seat occupants' lower legs, which are particularly vulnerable to an oblique frontal impact.

But this thread was active three months ago so, what did he buy?

The only concern I have is that rumour has it the 210 has a problem with corrosion!:devil:

Don't believe everthing you read on the internet..

The facelift W210 model has curtain airbags to protect the head from a side impact, as well as the two side airbags and two front passenger airbags of the pre-facelift model. It also has better crush protection for the front seat occupants' lower legs, which are particularly vulnerable to an oblique frontal impact.

But this thread was active three months ago so, what did he buy?

I've still got the 2 W124s but I've decided to go for a W210, I've recently started looking for a good E300 Diesel

Phil

After much soul searching between the w124 and w210 I opted for a '98 300D Turbo Diesel.

I am very impressed with the smooth power delivery and pick up, gear changes are imperceptible with only the tacho giving the game away.

Will snap a few pics when the drizzle disappears and post them up :)

Last edited:
If the W124 belonging to the OP is an estate , then to add rear headrests it is just a matter of sourcing the seat backs from a breaker complete with headrests - obtaining them in the correct colour might take time . You could get seat backs in any colour and swap your own covers onto them , leaving only the headrests in a different colour .

If a saloon or coupe - haven't 'done' a W124 , but I did retrofit rear headrests to one of my 190E's . The headrests slide in through the tops of the rear backrest ( you can just cut the material with a knife , just make sure to get the grommets out of the backrest on the donor car ) , when you remove the backrest from the donor car , you will see four metal brackets riveted to the bulkhead behind the seat - I took my cordless drill along to the scrapyard and drilled these out to remove the brackets - all cars have the holes pre-drilled in the bulkhead , so to fit to your own car all you have to do is remove the backrest and use some pop-rivets to fit the brackets in place . Took about 1/2 hour to remove parts at the breakers and the same to fit to my car .

If you have the folding type headrests as fitted to some models , you may need to get some other parts from the donor car , but they should all be there for the taking .

I personally have had very little trouble with my W124's , but I know of friends with W210's who had bad experiences and know which vehicle I would rather have .

If something safe to run the kids around in is what you want , for not a lot of cash , consider a W126 - these are absolute bargains right now , just as reliable as a W124 , only even more solidly built and more spacious . I just bought one for this reason . If you have teenagers , it will have a 'coolness' factor beyond any W124 , especially if you find a SEC !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom