Should I choose diesel or petrol?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iliria

Car
W205 C200 Sport petrol (67)
Been looking to get a C or E class however I am not quite sure whether to go for a diesel or petrol version. Currently I do about 9-10k miles per year and the bulk of my driving is in town, short distances (3-5 miles) (although i do a minimum of 3 long distance journeys per month (20 miles and above).

Everywhere I look I just seem to see only Diesel Mercs (I saw one the other day which said CGI instead of the usual CDI) on the back but am not sure what that meant. Diesel seems to be the fashion nowadays, however after reading a very useful article on AA website regarding Diesel and DPF and methods of DPF regeneration I am a bit confused regarding what to go for.

The argument that a diesel model costs more than its petrol equivalent doesnt particularly convince me much since although that may be true, it is also true that when it comes to selling it a diesel car would be valued more than a petrol so you are not wasting much money in that respect.

However the argument regarding DPF types and the potential cost of repair if they get blocked is something that does worry me.

Do you guys have any advice please?

Are you looking at new ! If so, then I suggest you consider the C350e Plug In. It will do up to 20 miles on electric only, is petrol and 0 - 60 in 5.9s.

Hmm what I've been reading in the tabloid press recently is that diesel is now the fuel of the devil ,so if you can I would try and hang out till after the election and see what taxes are placed on what fuel ?

Considering the driving you do I'd go for a petrol one

Considering the present motoring climate and the type of running you do--- petrol. CGI is short for stratified charged gasoline injection Its fuel injection directly into the cylinder bit like a diesel---- unlike the older petrol injection which injected into the inlet manifold

Hmm what I've been reading in the tabloid press recently is that diesel is now the fuel of the devil ,so if you can I would try and hang out till after the election and see what taxes are placed on what fuel ?

its older diesels that will suffer. Adblue motors will be 100% non touched.

I read about this 'Adblue' and found out it's technically urea!!! However, going back to the main post I recently bought my C250 CGI and don't regret it one bit. It's mainly a weekend car as I work in London.

Previous car was a diesel with DPF and was mind full of the short journeys I did which meant taking it on the motorway to blast the engine and keep DPF clean as well, it had to go for that reason.

Your mission profile (mostly short journeys, >20 miles three times a month, 10,000 miles a year) cannot suggest anything other than petrol.

Petrol-Electric as in post #2 :):)

I've owned/driven diesel cars since 1999, but I swapped to a 5.5 litre twin-turbo petrol last year and it's much nicer :D. :D :D

IMO......Diesels are more expensive to buy and often have higher mileage and pricer to service when the time comes.
They produce dirtier exhaust which at long last is now being realised partly highlighted by recent smog problems in London and Paris and I reckon buying a petrol car now makes better sense.
I do up to 10,000 miles per year on mostly rural roads with my 3.5 petrol engined CLK and love the way it drives and does about 25 mpg which is good enough for me.
I am sure there will be someone that will disagree with me but I am convinced petrol is a better bet if your not doing long distances on a regular basis.

For me I've been diesel for the last 12 years but I'm going petrol (or at least hoping to) via the hybrid option. It suits my current driving pattern which is mostly town work under 10 miles

Petrol. The price difference between the two is only likely to increase (IMO) and there is currently lots of hysteria about diesel particulates so likely there will be a reversal of/change in the tax bands to encourage a move away from diesel (IMO)….but anybody's guess when that will be. It is the safest option currently, financially speaking, with your mileage.

I've owned BMWs in diesel and petrol and a MB C class in diesel, a few years ago it seemed like the obvious answer even doing sub-10k miles a year to go for the diesel.

I'd definitely try and stick to petrols for now! I originally was getting my SLK in diesel but even the night after putting down the deposit I knew I'd made the wrong decision and petrol is the way to go!

Thank you very much for all the answers everyone.

Having seen how much cars in general depreciate in the first two years I have sworn to never buy a brand new car.

I'm looking to buy a one or two year old (the most) used car so unfortunately the C350e is not an option currently since it has only just come out.

I have 3 kids so the coupe is out of the question because it's only a 4 seater and you lose some space at the back (which is a shame because I love the Coupe shape in general). The estate is a bit too big for my taste. So, Saloon petrol seemsto be the way forward for me.

I went to my local MB dealer today and the guy I spoke to did not have a clue what he was going on about.

First I was kept waiting for 45 minutes because "there werent too many used car dealers around". Sat in the waiting room there was me and another adult male and the TV was on all the time with "My Little Pony" showing on Tiny Pop. Not a kid in sight all the time. We looked at each other and started to wonder who the target audience was...

First he told me that the C class petrol/electric version is the C300 where the 350 is an E class. Then he said that MB does not make manual petrols. Then he said that MB doesnt make petrol E class. Then he's trying to sell me a diesel.... and so on.... I was quite baffled and frankly he sounded that convincing that I even started to doubt myself.

Let's say that the whole experience certainly left an impression on me (but just not a good one).

Am petrol all the way...

I went to my local MB dealer today and the guy I spoke to did not have a clue what he was going on about.
Sounds like you may have bumped into the same moron that the OP in this thread had to endure. Suggest you do the same as he did and take your business elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom