Should I de-chrome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i loved the chrome on my w211 E55, but looks out of place on my w212, so i may go the dechrome route. i think if you have silver wheels the chrome looks nice, but black wheels a de-chrome.

Each to their own, but I always think a de-chromed car looks like a poverty spec/base model. 10 years ago the only non-Chrome'd models were 'Classic' spec with cloth interiors...
Haha...was just thinking the same and then saw your post.

Must, admit i like de chroming on certain cars, black on white looks particularly good.

I just bought 4 AMG door flood projectors and a set of pry tools to help with the fitting. I see MB are offering these as an option now on some cars; though I doubt they are going to be 65 quid for 4 if you buy off them!
True, I paid £16 for 4.

I have the night pack and have had the rear boot chrome strip wrapped in gloss black; looks a lot better Getting door handles done next.

Probably out of same China factory as mine. White and blue box? Look professional and dead easy to fit(?)
They were from a UK seller but almost certainly made in China. They were surprisingly well packaged and I fitted all 4 in less than 5 mins.

Sorry to go OT and hopefully the OP had made his mind up ref dechroming?

Not decided. I probably won't bother though, it's quite a lot of money for something I'm not sure about. I need all 4 brakes replaced this year which is a bit more important, or we could save up for the TT-RS we want!

Must, admit i like de chroming on certain cars, black on white looks particularly good.

I'd agree. Some colour combos seem to work better with de-chroming - black on white is definitely one of the best IMO.

Personally I would just do the window surrounds - not the grill or boot
iu

From pics I've seem the 3M gloss wrap seems the most OEM looking. I would - or should I say I will...eventually

Last edited:
Well this thread was nearly 2 years ago and now we've gone and de-chromed the front grill (kept the rest of it). Also had the wheels powder coated in a dark smoked chrome and got the old matt carbon effect roof vinyl replaced with gloss black which I think looks much better!

SM-20200212_160311.jpg SM-20200212_160316.jpg

Some nicer pics of the wheels, before we had the roof and grill done:

SM-20200208_122526.jpg SM-20200208_122548.jpg

//edit: Oh and we have also changed the wheel centre caps to black now as well!

Last edited:
I like your center grill, is it painted, wrapped or have you done it another way?

I like your center grill, is it painted, wrapped or have you done it another way?
Wrapped. He suggested it might look better to buy a black star off eBay and replace it but it's actually a really neat job with no obvious creases so I'm happy with it. Done by Rocketts Wraps in Denmead (5 mins from PCS for those who know the area).

I think that looks much better than the old man chrome. Great result. :thumb:

Really like that - I’m a big fan of de-chroming.

I’d have the wing mirrors done black and then it’s done!

Well this thread was nearly 2 years ago and now we've gone and de-chromed the front grill (kept the rest of it). Also had the wheels powder coated in a dark smoked chrome and got the old matt carbon effect roof vinyl replaced with gloss black which I think looks much better!

//edit: Oh and we have also changed the wheel centre caps to black now as well!

Great look, you need to get yourself one of these now to wear! LOL

g-shock-GWX-8900B-7JF.jpg

Wrapped. He suggested it might look better to buy a black star off eBay and replace it but it's actually a really neat job with no obvious creases so I'm happy with it. Done by Rocketts Wraps in Denmead (5 mins from PCS for those who know the area).
I'm definitely tempted to wrap mine, got to work out how to take the grill off first though!

Also worth mentioning my successes with paintstripper on chrome have been on both plated steel and plated mazak parts - the base metal doesnt seem to make any practical difference when it comes to getting the paint off.

Wife doesn't like my dodgy photoshop attempts. I think black looks better on a white car than the chrome. I also did headlight smoke tints.

No question about it! Debadge leave the Mercedes Benz badge chrome. De chrome rest of car will look so much nicer ! Sexy car bro !!
Thoughts?

View attachment 76681 View attachment 76682

View attachment 76683 View attachment 76684

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom