Should I do this DIY? (Rear subframe front bushes)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip1972

Car
E350 CDI convertible 2011
Need to change the rear subframe front bushes.

2000 W210 estate.

I can do jobs on the car-the major concern is getting the old ones out. I am stuck if I cant finish the job, as I need the car for work.

Just how hard are they to remove?

Cheers

Well I would find a local garage or mobile mechanic to do the job,what about the rear bushes if the fronts have gone? there is another possible problem and that is rust,it is possible that while you are changing the bushes you will need to repair a hole,not a problem if you can take a couple of days doing this repair but as you need it for work,I would get a garage on it ,you do not need special tools but if I was to tackle it I would want a nice sunny day .

I did mine. The problem is not getting the old one out.

Definitely a job for the experienced with access to appropriate hefty lifting gear, ramps, jacks, arc and gas welders, large pry bars, large premises sheltered from the elements to work in and perhaps most important a team of mechanics /extra hands that can be called on for any really difficult parts of the operation a 15 minute job for 3 guys is often an impossibility for one no matter how long it takes. - and tired individuals make mistakes and put themselves in danger of injury.

I did mine...no problem getting the old one out.

Just make sure the new one is well greased...and put in a freezer over night to help it when you are pushing it in.

I have a large garage if that helps.

Definitely a job for the experienced with access to appropriate hefty lifting gear, ramps, jacks, arc and gas welders, large pry bars, large premises sheltered from the elements to work in and perhaps most important a team of mechanics /extra hands that can be called on for any really difficult parts of the operation a 15 minute job for 3 guys is often an impossibility for one no matter how long it takes. - and tired individuals make mistakes and put themselves in danger of injury.

I hope you're wrong as I'm not foreseeing any great problems. It's one of my summer projects.

Thanks guys.

I have booked it in at a local indy!!

I reckon that's a wise decision since you need the car operational for work. Make a point of having the brake pipes inspected too, it's an ideal time to renew if they are showing signs of corrosion.

Last edited:
Well I had it done and all I can say is that was a few quid well spent.

Pretty much transformed the car and any shimmy that was present has gone too.

brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom