should I do this to a semi-classic merc?

V8 or straight 6

• V8

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • straight 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
i have a W114 280CE i'm slowly (very) doing up into a bit of a pimpmobile - baclk on black with black everything - mostly within possible merc specs.

BUT - i have just been offered a SLC 450 engine (inc electronics), transmission, propshaft, diff, rear suspension (complete) front suspension (complete) which will all bolt straight in - bar possibly the propshaft - for SILLY cheap money - like 250 quid.

now - having a non-mb engine in there is sacrilige imho - but this is a possible lump to have fitted at the time - the models (just) overlapped back in the early 70's

so - instead of the 'boring' M110 Djetronic engine, should I get this (117) lump in there instead? I'm pretty sure it will bolt straight in.

I know the suspension will bolt on - the subframes are the same part number. the diff looks very similar externally, and is limited slip.

the engine mounts are VERY similar
so V8 or straight 6?

280CE or 450CE ////AMG ;)

fuel consumption - irrelevant.(not enough miles)
insurance - irrelevant (trade policy)
classic status?
scorn from fellow classic nuts?

I'll move this to the Engine section whilst pondering !

Sounds like you have the knowledge and skill to do what you want to this project, so why not be as outrageous as possible !! :D

S.

Do it...... u know u wana. The V8 is the way to go

V8's definatley :rock: :rock: You can't and never will beat the sound of a V8,Do it you know you want too :devil:

Go for it. V8

I have a 4.2 (gurley...) engine in the CL.. but I can't hear it :(

is 230 BHP right for this engine? i cant sem to find the specs anywhere.

the M110 does 185 bhp (no emissions test back then ;) )

I'd personally go for the V8.
It doesn't really matter what people think as they aren't the ones that drive it. I like to add my touch to my Mercs, just a personel thing. Just modify the car to what suits you best. As to the idea of black on black..... just look at mine! Gallery

If you need other parts pm me with what you are after and i can put you in touch with the relevant people. I think i've sourced all the classic merc places, in the UK and abroad when i restored mine.

V8 but watch the timing chain, they are prone to slipping. And yes it will fit :D

Ian B Walker said:
V8 but watch the timing chain, they are prone to slipping. And yes it will fit :D

out of curiosity, how do you know - ive never seen / heard of one

cheque is in the post :eek: no turning back now.

anyone have a trailer I can borrow?

There was a post some time ago about a member who had a V8 with a blown head. The cause of his missfortune was the timing chain slipping off a cam shaft tensioner. I believe, although cannot be certain, that someone answering his question said that it was a known issue.

As for fitting, if you can put a V8 into a 190 then anything else is a breeze.

guydewdney said:
I have a 4.2 (gurley...) engine in the CL.. but I can't hear it :(

is 230 BHP right for this engine? i cant sem to find the specs anywhere.

the M110 does 185 bhp (no emissions test back then ;) )

The CL 420 should have 279 bhp...

no - the cl has 275 - m119 - what does the M117 4.5 have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom