Should I get a w205 C63 over a w204 C350cdi AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spice52

Car
C350 CDi AMG
What the thoughts, experiences of going from a C350cdi to a C63?

I currently have a 2012 C350cdi with the AMG kit on it, I really enjoy the car, performance with economy and easy to look after, service etc, but a c63 looks amazing.

Having watched tons of videos, they all seem to be blown away with the C63, but some videos saying how costly, unreliable there are to run.

i would be looking at between 2015 to 2018 model.

whats the thoughts:

On day to day driving
Running costs
A, B and C service costs

thank you

The C63 is the only AMG in this thread.
It'll blow your mind, fry your licence, double your fuel consumption (and you have to use super unleaded), stretch your insurance and leave you gasping at major interval services which are add-ons to A + B.

They aren't cheap to run, they drink fuel, they are as reliable as any other MB but above all, they are fun.
Get one while you can.

Get one while you can.
This.

We will all be forced into soulless electric cars at some point so the opportunity to own silly power petrol cars is diminishing fast. If you can afford the increase in costs then you shouldn't regret it.

Mpg in a 205 is 10-15 when driving hard, similar in town and up to 30-35 on a long run driving at 70ish. Average will depend on your usage but budget for low twenties and you won't be far out I expect.

As above, time is running out to enjoy them

Forget the 'AMG' in the model/description of your car, that's just cosmetic. You're asking about the difference from a 3.5l diesel to a 4.4l bi-turbo V8 petrol, and its associated costs etc...!

Some specs here will give you an idea of the quantum leap...

c350 0-60 6.3s fuel 6l/100km
C63 0-60 4.1s fuel 8.1 l/100km

Look at that 0-60 time, think of what kind of cars achieve that, that's a clue to service/running costs...

Having said that, if you can afford to....DO IT!!

I have had the same dilema but E63 vs E350.

Cover 25K/annum whilst commuting and so no way can I justify an E63. Daily commute is 130miles with a return of over just over 50MPG according to OBC. Would be in an E63(S) saloon, RS6 avant or Alpina B5 tourer if running costs were not a consideration. Alas, an E400d is on the next car wish list.

Have purposely never driven an E63 - most AMG owners will know exactly why.

Servicing - expect a minimum of £500/£1k everytime it sees the dealer.

£200 a back tyre, £175 for a front

£600 for front discs and pads £300 for rears.

Fuel - treble what you are paying right now trust me. 18 mpg generally all the time as a daily driver.

Reliability - done 35k totally trouble free miles in ours from new

Daily ride quality - hardish

Drama - all the time with that great noise

Annoyance - other cars wanting a little burn up all the time.

If you want V8 thunder luxury, look at a late 212 E63. Hands down one of the best cars on the road.

Also, go look at an E43. Great value for money and nothing wrong with them at all.

You're comparing apples and pears here. You'd be moving from a non-AMG to an AMG.
Do it, because life is short.

So you get the full fat AMG and 12 months later you want a little more. So you head to MSL for a remap.

I had my CLS55 custom mapped by Mallory Performance. Wouldn't want to push the tune more without a LSD.

What the thoughts, experiences of going from a C350cdi to a C63?

I currently have a 2012 C350cdi with the AMG kit on it, I really enjoy the car, performance with economy and easy to look after, service etc, but a c63 looks amazing.

Having watched tons of videos, they all seem to be blown away with the C63, but some videos saying how costly, unreliable there are to run.

i would be looking at between 2015 to 2018 model.

whats the thoughts:

On day to day driving
Running costs
A, B and C service costs

thank you
It’s great at day to day driving. It’s ultimately ja newer and more sporty feeling version of what you already have, and so it will do everything your current car can do.

Fuel economy and brakes apart, I’m not convinced that running an AMG is really any more expensive than an equivalent model with a different engine.

Insurance could be more expensive but it depends upon your circumstances. I can insure a 63 for less than a Smart with the same drivers, use, mileage and insurer.

If you want to have more certainty over running costs budget for a service contract and warranty, and unless you’re very unlucky then your costs should be predictable.

Don’t under estimate fuel consumption in a M177 car. I have been apart from the GT for 6 months, on Friday which was a hot day in light traffic my 60 miles of town and fast road yielded a mighty 11mpg....

But the plus points are:

Noise.
Torque.
Noise.
Theatrical engine
Did I mention noise?

It would make sense to just stick with what you have. The AMG won’t be as good as a DD and all your costs will increase.

Hi Spice, get your C350 CDI re-mapped (by a company that knows what they are doing obviously). I have exactly the same car as you, a 2012 C350 Cdi sport, got it re-mapped by Acid @ MSL and totally love it now. It's bloody quick, returns 43-46 mpg however I drive, but it still looks like a normal C-class diesel. And a little bit of stealth is always fun :) (I also have an SL63 so fully understand the speed aspect).
Search for E350 CDI and/or C350 CDI tuning and you'll find a fair bit of info & advice here.

Good luck whatever you do, Matt. :thumb:

It would make sense to just stick with what you have. The AMG won’t be as good as a DD and all your costs will increase.
Since when were AMGs about sense?!?

Apart from fuel economy an AMG makes a great daily, that's part of why they're so good.

If you're not a petrol head then stick with the boring diesel but if a V8 stirs your soul then it's worth the extra outlay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom