Should I get the local hand (i.e. jet-) washers to clean my 2009 R230 SL350?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToMegaTherion

Car
SL350 (R230)
Hi everyone - my new black SL350 is looking not so shiny already. Looks like pollen or something has settled all over it. I'm considering taking it to my local "Hand Car Wash", which does a fine job for a fiver, albeit with military-grade pressure washers on the first pass. Now, it looks to me like the car doesn't leak (boot floor seems dry after recent torrential rains) and I'm told that later R230s like mine don't suffer the roof leaks like earlier ones.... but I'd like your advice on the matter: is it a bad idea?

Thanks!

If you want to support the black economy and slave labour and risk your car being leathered down with a leather full of grit then it's a good idea. I personally wouldn't go near one. But then I am fussy with way mine is cleaned and like to do it myself. :rolleyes: :)

If you want to support the black economy and slave labour and risk your car being leathered down with a leather full of grit then it's a good idea.
Well, when you put it like that...

If you've used them before and are happy with them, and could mention that they don't linger on the seals with their jet wash then sure.
If they mist it and don't direct the jet straight on, then if it stands up to rain, it should to do to that treatment.

However personally, no, I wouldn't

Warm water and certainly a warm car wash/soap solution will be better than the cold wash they probably use at clearing off sticky residue
And having recently clay barred three of our 4 cars (mine is next) I can only sing the praises of a 10 min (cheap) fine clay bar on a car to really clean off all the c-r-a-p that remains after a wash

Oh, and yours is black
Swirly swirly.....:oops:

Unless you are physically unable to wash your SL, it’s a no brainier. Your poultry fiver could potentially turn into something a whole lot more expensive.

The “cleaner” they squirt on washing is quite acidic and will mark chrome over a time. Best avoided, or just used for the daily diesel/company car. But it’s your car, so your choice.

Like most things, there is a risk involved. If you are willing to take on that risk then do so. Personally I wouldn’.

Hi everyone - my new black SL350 is looking not so shiny already. Looks like pollen or something has settled all over it. I'm considering taking it to my local "Hand Car Wash", which does a fine job for a fiver, albeit with military-grade pressure washers on the first pass. Now, it looks to me like the car doesn't leak (boot floor seems dry after recent torrential rains) and I'm told that later R230s like mine don't suffer the roof leaks like earlier ones.... but I'd like your advice on the matter: is it a bad idea?

Thanks!

Do you want to keep your car? do you want it to be in best condition?

If no, get them to wash it.

Well of course you need to know just how good your local hand car wash is,my local one is very good,pressure washed,snow foamed,sheepskin mops to wash the car,pressure wash off then on to the girls who use clean cloths to wipe down your car,spray the glass and make certain it is clean,apply good tyre shine,this time they found a small patch of tar on the offside sill and tried hard to remove it,I stopped them saying I would do it later,all for £10,it took me three applications of tar remover and a gentle scrub with a worn out pot scourer to clean it off,they have no shortage of quality cars turning up to be cleaned,but as posted if you get a cowboy operation a black car is going to look awful after a few trips to the hand car wash.

2 Things, First if you go to your £5 car wash look at all the fun you can watching them as they throw the sponges at one another and them falling on the floor ( o how we laughed ) and Second when you get home you can put your finger on any part of the car scratches and play the maze game trying to find the end of all the circles round and round the car and where they end in the sunlight. If you look after something it will look after you. Just click on the detailing pages on here and see how nice the cars are kept. I say all this but i think i am about the only person down my road who does his own car, 2 have car washers that come round, the rest go to the sponge throwers, but as i walk along the road my car is the one thats better than new :cool: but different stroke different folks.

Thanks everyone... I think the answer is pretty clear!

I've used the same hand wash for a few years now. Legit registered company.
He trains his guys well. Only downside is the weapons grade jet washers. They can nip under any nick in the paint or wheel lacquer. After my refurbs I'm doing it myself again.

I wont even let mercedes dealership complimentary valet wash my car as I saw the car cleaners at work on a visit to local dealership bloke and a woman using a bucket and a chamois they just rubbed the chamois over dust sun baked cars on the forecourt !!! as others have said leave the £5 cleaners alone too . I question why cars on a forecourt just 2 years old have milky appearance on the alloy its got to be the products used ? acids or the like ?

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the convenience factor of these places - but it always makes me wonder when you see people happy to drive 10 minutes to a car wash, wait often 15 minutes in a queue (weekend) and another 10/15 minutes for their car to be washed and dried (around my way, sat on a wall next to a main road, often in the rain..!) and then another 10 minutes home. But seemingly wouldn’t consider spending 1/2 hour outside with a bucket and a hose?

I have used these sorts of places for cars that weren’t precious, so I get the convenience factor especially in the winter but in spring/summer when it’s mild with plenty of daylight…? :)

I would rather use an automated car wash than the hand wash outfits..

I got lazy and took my car to the hand car wash a couple times and now I have a few small but long scratches on the bonnet, boot lid and wings... 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom