Should I have to pay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goodeone

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hi everyone, on Monday my local Indi told me my E320 CDI W211 required a new alternator. They quoted me and I agreed to go ahead with the job, after it was fitted all seemed fine and I drove the car home. Next day the battery and consumer unit shut down warnings came on, I went straight back to garage to find out why and the car has spent all day today in the workshop only to be told the alternator had failed and needed another one, this will be covered by the warrantee but they want me to pay towards the refitting. I don't agree, what do you all think?

So in less than 24 hours a part they fitted has gone kaput !!

Tell em to do one, they should cover that - shocking behaviour

Did you pay full labour cost for replacing it first time ?

Yes I paid full labour for the first fitting, a Recon Bosch unit that they told me were very good and they have never had any problems with, it cost £587.00 inc fitting and VAT.

I would have understood if they had charged a reduced % labour amount. Find it hard to believe that they now want full rate labour rate ( again ) to replace a warranty part ( fitted by them less than 24 hours prior ) . Maybe they have either:

1. A very blinkered customer policy.

2. Not much cash fluidity at the bank.

3. Combination of above.

A lot of money for something that has not fixed the issue, I'm sure there are legalities of sort that discuss these - maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to answer.

Anyway, if what you say is being asked from them, then I'd suggest mention is made here so that any other members would know to steer very clear indeed. Even a dealership would not pull that stunt, I'm sure.

How much is the labour charge?

I will hold off the name and shame until I have spoken to them tomorrow when I collect the car, I'm hoping they see sense.

Labour charge was £210 for the initial fitting, this included 1/2 hour at £30.00 to remove the regulator off my old alternator as I was hoping it was just this causing the problem.

If they don't come good, Sale of Goods Act should cover this.

I can understand that theyd be a bit miffed doing 3.5 hours work for nothing but their beef should be with the supplier of the recon part and not you.

Does it really take that long to swap out an alternator on a w211?

It's quite a long job because of all the plastic stuff that has to be removed to get near it. Took me a good morning start to finish. 1st time though.

I can understand that theyd be a bit miffed doing 3.5 hours work for nothing but their beef should be with the supplier of the recon part and not you.

Agreed. Not sure if this ever really works in practise though?

Electronic components are usually non-returnable due to people blowing them up by accident then claiming for a replacement.

I would have hoped that the garage should offer some kind of concession as you are both out of pocket to some degree.

Legally you do not have to pay anything.
The part had a latent fault and they are experts at this work.
You paid a labour charge, you do not have to pay again.

Bunch of cheeky twunts.
And the price is a rip-off.

Recon alternators can be bought in trade for way less than £150.

They charged you £377 for the part. Chancers...

You have been done.
Steve

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on an s55

I fitted an ABC pump to it. About six weeks later it failed.

I fitted a new one for them and then claimed the labour time for the warranty replacement off the company that supplied the pump to me. The customer did not have to pay for it again.

That's exactly the way it should be Andy, good man.

The problem with the OP's garage is simply they want to take the easy route, charge the customer. And why not? As some customers do pay again. On top of which the real 'wide boys' then make a parts & labour with/via the supplier.

As above, if they supplied and fitted they will have to incur the refitting labour costs.

They then have two options:

Either claim the labour cost back from their own supplier

Or make sure they use reputable suppliers in future

Also - this is exactly why you would want to have the fitted item supplied by the garage - they would have had a field day if the alternator was one you bought elsewhere and asked them to fit.

This happened to me 25 years ago with an old Fiat - it needed a new engine, the garage quoted for engine and fitting, however I found a good engine with warranty elsewhere and bought it myself. The 'new' engine gave up the ghost after just one week, and while the engine supplier happily replaced it with another, I still had to pay the garage the cost of refitting. Lesson learnt!

Quick update, I was told the car was ready, went to collect it, armed with all my valid arguments and without a word I was handed the keys buy an office worker so I grabbed the keys and ran. :)

Legally you do not have to pay anything.
The part had a latent fault and they are experts at this work.
You paid a labour charge, you do not have to pay again.

Bunch of cheeky twunts.
And the price is a rip-off.

Recon alternators can be bought in trade for way less than £150.

They charged you £377 for the part. Chancers...

You have been done.
Steve

You have been well and truly done 2 hours labour at the very most and we used to get recon alternators from £90 depending on model.

This job is a £250 - £275 job at most (depending on area of UK)

Perhaps a name and shame so we can avoid these John Wayne impersonators...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom