Should I keep or trade in my 2013 C63 estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Engadine

Car
2022 C63S Brabus 600 cabrio; 2013 C63 Estate (RIP)
Hi all, I am a long time lurker and appreciatior of this forum, now have a couple of questions of my own to ask.

I have a 2013 C63 estate, black/cream with 19 inch wheels and privacy rear glass. 33000 miles. I have had the car five years and love it. It is the most fun sports saloon/estate I have ever driven, and so exciting I sold my 996 Turbo S as it was redundant.

but the restless person inside me just wants a change as a daily driver. And a slightly more modern car.

so, two questions for the experienced folk here

1) if I buy a 2017/8 E63 S estate, will it be as much/more fun than my car?

2) I could, if I raided the piggy bank, keep the C63 (trade in, around low twenties) as a kind of weekend classic and also buy the E. but that still means storage and ongoing costs. Would that be mad?

thank you

Why not test drive an E63S then begin to decide.
Do you need two similar cars ?., not sure that a C63 will be a classic but who knows these day.

I gave a Ford Capri away, 2.0 in JPS colours, who’d have know it would be worth ££££ now.

Drive an E63S before you sell the C63. I have a 2013 C63 estate as well and although I've not driven an E63 213 I've seen quite a few people say they lack a bit of excitement. They're crazy fast and great if you need that much space but the AWD and weight mean it's not as much fun down a windy road.

If and when I change I'll probably go for a facelift C63S estate. I would like a better gearbox than the one in the S204 and a bit better economy when not hooning. The S204 C63 really struggles to get over 20mpg even when backed right off and the S205 would be getting 25-30mpg in the same scenario. Useful for me as until covid I was doing regular trips to France/Belgium and a better range (not bothered about fuel cost) would be welcome. The C still fits in parking spaces and is more wieldy overall but still gets more modern tech whilst retaining RWD.

If I had the budget to keep the C63 and get something else then I would but I'd go in a different direction. Something like a Cayman, Elise, Caterham etc.

Last edited:
As suggested, test drive the E 63 S first and then decide whether you want to change - you could love the E 63 S or it could make you realise how much you love the C 63 you already have.

There are diehard fans of the W204 C 63 and/or the M156 engine, who really don’t think they’ll get along with later models and engines - a W213 E 63 S would be an awful move for them.

Why not test drive an E63S then begin to decide.
Do you need two similar cars ?., not sure that a C63 will be a classic but who knows these day.

I gave a Ford Capri away, 2.0 in JPS colours, who’d have know it would be worth ££££ now.
The c63 will become a classic imo for the engine alone the decent ppp's well speced. prices are rising now 👌

Thank you everyone. I have test driven a 213 E63S, which made the dilemma even harder. I thought it was genuinely fun, unlike some super saloons, as well as super quick.
But maybe less pure than my car. I guess.
maybe that’s why I’m asking others to help me make up my mind..I couldn’t do so for myself!
i thought the newer C63 was swift and efficient and comfortable but lacked the thrill factor, but these things are very subjective.
Love my car but think I may take the plunge and swap. Good point that there is really no reason to have 2 AMG estates.

Out of interest, what is it about the E63 that makes it fun where the C63 was not? Both cars appeal to me but I expect quite a lot of similarity.

But maybe less pure than my car. I guess.
maybe that’s why I’m asking others to help me make up my mind..I couldn’t do so for myself!
If you’re unsure, is changing really the right thing to do?

The fact you have driven the e63s and are undecided answers your q, keep the m156, the newer forced induction half engined cars will never match the 6.3

:0)

There are diehard fans of the W204 C 63 and/or the M156 engine, who really don’t think they’ll get along with later models and engines - a W213 E 63 S would be an awful move for them.
........................and here they come BD.

keep the m156, the newer forced induction half engined cars will never match the 6.3

:0)
I wouldn't mind finding one of these 8ltr, quad turbo, quad scroll M156 engines. 🤔

Both are very fast but have different characters, You mention fun. I expect the smaller lighter c may be more fun to chuck around but the sensation from the sheer power fromm the 5.5 biturbo is something else. Test driven both but owned neither. But 5.5 is next on my shopping list. Dont think you would really need two cars so similar. Better to go for the E63 as it will cover most bases, and if you have money left over get something different for the weekend...lotus, cayman, whatever takes your fancy

Do you need the extra space and weight of an E class ?

Does Mrs Engadine want to drive a bigger car?

Do you have little Engadines to put in the back of the aforementioned motor ?

Go with what you feel is right for you.

Some like the natural feel the n/a offers. Some don't.

Some like that inforced sensation. I like both having had the E55k but now the M156 w212 armour

No doubt the newer car has more technology to it and what ever else you get.

But some say the ride quality in the w213 isn't as good as the w212. Not my words may I add. Just relating to what I've read.

It's a hard decision to make I get that. But maybe you've had your time with your current car. And Fancy a change.

The E class is a fantastic place to be with any engine. And is very capable car for its size. Is it as much fun as a C class AMG I can't answer that but the E is a quality place to be with old or new AMG technology.
Good luck with your quest 👍

That M156 engine is hard to beat Vocal wise 😉👍

But some say the ride quality in the w213 isn't as good as the w212. Not my words may I add. Just relating to what I've read.
Suspension on W213 E63 is definitely more firm than the W212 version.
And the amount of steering lock on the W213 is pathetic compared to the W212.

However that aside, the W213 has a much nicer interior

I was/am a total die hard W204 C63 enthusiast, proved by the fact that I owned two of them over over the last ten years. I never thought I would sell my last one, especially after reading a few initial reports on its replacement, the W205 C63 Twin Turbo. Then when I last took the car in for a service at my local dealership, I was offered a test drive of a late 2018 W205 C63 Premium Model, expecting to be a little disappointed......... How wrong I was, it’s moved on so much from the W204, and is better in every way. A week later and I was driving a W205 C63, not the one I test drove, but a slightly later coupe and I’m still loving it, especially after having MSL do their magic on it and now producing much more power with a simple stage one tune.

Is it better than my previous W204 C63’s....... Yes. Is it the perfect C63 ...... No.

What would make it the perfect C63 ....... if all of the mechanics were put into a W204 body.

Attachments

• 4A98E956-AFAF-44AB-80A1-806D015F1377.jpeg
    4A98E956-AFAF-44AB-80A1-806D015F1377.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 16
@JimGreen what do you prefer about the 205 C63? It's a move I'm considering in a couple of years but am yet to try one for myself. I know about the interior and infotainment having had 205 courtesy cars but I'm interested in your thoughts on the chassis and drivetrain by comparison to the 204.

I was/am a total die hard W204 C63 enthusiast, proved by the fact that I owned two of them over over the last ten years. I never thought I would sell my last one, especially after reading a few initial reports on its replacement, the W205 C63 Twin Turbo. Then when I last took the car in for a service at my local dealership, I was offered a test drive of a late 2018 W205 C63 Premium Model, expecting to be a little disappointed......... How wrong I was, it’s moved on so much from the W204, and is better in every way. A week later and I was driving a W205 C63, not the one I test drove, but a slightly later coupe and I’m still loving it, especially after having MSL do their magic on it and now producing much more power with a simple stage one tune.

Is it better than my previous W204 C63’s....... Yes. Is it the perfect C63 ...... No.

What would make it the perfect C63 ....... if all of the mechanics were put into a W204 body.
looks lovely mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom