Should I keep or trade in my 2013 C63 estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 1.8tdci 2006 diesel focus sounds better than the m157.

@JimGreen what do you prefer about the 205 C63? It's a move I'm considering in a couple of years but am yet to try one for myself. I know about the interior and infotainment having had 205 courtesy cars but I'm interested in your thoughts on the chassis and drivetrain by comparison to the 204.

The most obvious improvement is to the suspension and handling, and how the power is put down, this is now electronically controlled depending on which setting you've selected. All of the W205 C63's now have a Limited Slip Differential, the mechanical version on the stock and premium cars or an Electronic Differential on the C63s Models, this is a huge improvement over a non LSD W204. I had a Quaife LSD fitted to my W204 as pulling out of corners on a damp road always ended up in spinning the inside wheel with no traction.

The Engine has more low down torque at low rpm and turbo lag is non existent. I did notice the lack of top end power though, in stock form the turbo's seem to run out of puff at the top end, but a trip to MSL for a stage 1 remap made things much better and the additional power is very noticeable. As it's a turbo engine, this makes it a very tunable, with MSL claiming a minimum of 580bhp with a simple stage 1 remap, which is what I had done.

Interior, much more modern, but I don't like the gear selection being on the stalk for putting it into drive/reverse/park/brake, it's a pain in the butt and you have to be very precise to ensure you don't put it into reverse by mistake. The seats ......... no where near as good as the W204's nice hugging seats, I'm not a big guy, so I loved those hugging seats and miss them, but if your on the large size, then the W205 's seats will probably be more to your liking.

You should take advantage of a test drive though, and make it a "Spirited Drive" to make sure you appreciate the acceleration and handling or you'll regret not exploring it's limits. keep us updated on what you think.

Old and New together on handover day

Attachments

• IMG_9249.jpg
    IMG_9249.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9250.jpg
    IMG_9250.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I have a Wavetrac in mine and it's very good but I can imagine the electronic LSD is better still as it can be more open when it needs to be.

Suspension and handling on the 204 is OK but not amazing so an improvement here would be welcome.

When you say the seats aren't as good are you talking about the Comfort or Performance ones? I'm quite slim and would only buy a car with the buckets.

As regards power, the 204 felt a bit flat over 5krpm before I had it remapped. Now the full normal potential of the engine is available it rips through the last 2krpm with real vigour, a bit like a VTEC. However, it's a fairly heavy family car so those characteristics can't be enjoyed so much most of the time. I like the idea of more low end power, especially if the top end can be fixed by a simple remap. I wouldn't bother chasing anything more as that's already more than enough.

I have a Wavetrac in mine and it's very good but I can imagine the electronic LSD is better still as it can be more open when it needs to be.

Suspension and handling on the 204 is OK but not amazing so an improvement here would be welcome.

When you say the seats aren't as good are you talking about the Comfort or Performance ones? I'm quite slim and would only buy a car with the buckets.

As regards power, the 204 felt a bit flat over 5krpm before I had it remapped. Now the full normal potential of the engine is available it rips through the last 2krpm with real vigour, a bit like a VTEC. However, it's a fairly heavy family car so those characteristics can't be enjoyed so much most of the time. I like the idea of more low end power, especially if the top end can be fixed by a simple remap. I wouldn't bother chasing anything more as that's already more than enough.
I have a w204 ppp coupe and it keeps pulling all the way up, ive had a quafe lsd fitted imo the best money you can spend on 1 as for remapping no point in mine as not enough gain the w205 is easily messed with and would do big number's its all about the cars to me though standard is quite enough and sound i won't mention. The look of the 205 doesn't interest me as it looks boring 😴 only my opinion

Agreed, on a PPP the artificial restriction is less so not as much to gain. I wasn't really after the power but the remap altered the character of the engine for the better and there's more induction sound now that the throttle body can open properly.

I like my C63 in estate form and either 204 or 205 look alright in my eyes. I'm going to carry on with the 204 for now as there'll never be anything else like it but as it ages and the 205 facelift prices come down I may switch as I'm not very happy with the slow to respond gearbox in the 204.

I have a w204 ppp coupe and it keeps pulling all the way up, ive had a quafe lsd fitted imo the best money you can spend on 1 as for remapping no point in mine as not enough gain the w205 is easily messed with and would do big number's its all about the cars to me though standard is quite enough and sound i won't mention. The look of the 205 doesn't interest me as it looks boring 😴 only my opinion
That is just one reason i would never sell my 204 for a 205, the looks........

Yes, I'm referring to the Comfort Seats, I miss the W204's seats which were both comfortable and hugging, great for a spirited drive.

I find in most cases a stage 1 remap is enough, it's the only thing I've done to any of my AMG's.

The switchable Mercedes sports exhaust on the W205 (Premium Model) is nice, love hitting the open exhaust button..... LOL.

Come on.......... Does this really look boring !!!!!!

IMG_0026 (1).jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 106998
20200908-132226.jpg
[/url]what carbs to cut to lose weight
Not as bad as the new bm though

Agreed, on a PPP the artificial restriction is less so not as much to gain. I wasn't really after the power but the remap altered the character of the engine for the better and there's more induction sound now that the throttle body can open properly.

I like my C63 in estate form and either 204 or 205 look alright in my eyes. I'm going to carry on with the 204 for now as there'll never be anything else like it but as it ages and the 205 facelift prices come down I may switch as I'm not very happy with the slow to respond gearbox in the 204.
I agree about the box though could be abit more responsive but you sort of get used to it ,i had a standard prefacelift which I sold for the v8 M3 dct was a lovely car but couldn't get on with it so i bought the ppp which is probably 1 of the best cars I've owned after finding a good 1 as there is alot of crap out there

Stunning looking coupe ..........
Thanks took awhile to find it ive not seen many with champagne designo leather interior

Thank you everyone. really Interesting debate that shows me why I’m having trouble making up my mind as it seems quite subjective!
in answer to various posters, yes I have a family and the 6.2 C63 estate has been a daily driver on family school run etc duty since I bought it in 2016 (it’s a 2014). I love the car...best daily car I have ever owned..but I just wonder if it’s time for a change, to experience something else.
I have driven the 4.0 biturbo E63 and thought it was beautiful inside and great fun, less agile than my car, less steering feel. Torque was good too as I drive in urban and suburban areas quite a lot.
M5 didn’t do it for me.
didn’t gel with the newest C63.
i do have a couple of fun two seaters for weekends.
my wife loves the attention she gets in our C63 - real respect at petrol stations for the 6.2, seems to be a cult thing. her father was a racer so she can deal with it.
my C63 doesn’t have the LSD which is a regret, but it’s low miles (33k) and I know if I sell and regret it it might be hard to find another..
I have decided in any case to hang on til spring, as there is no school run and no business driving during lockdown..during which period a good E63S will get a couple of grand cheaper and my car will more or less hold its value. At the moment I am still minded to change but will keep reading your comments avidly.

If you decide to keep the C63 it's so easy to retrofit a better differential. Quaife or Wavetrac can both be had for around £1,500 fitted and are a desirable feature at sale time.

Sounds like you've got the weekend fun covered so if you've made enough good memories in the C63 and you like the E63 it should be worth the change.

Although the estates are relatively rare compared to other body styles they tend to have less owners as they don't get cycled through by those who buy it just for the engine and then realise the cost of running it. You could find another if you miss it too much.

If you decide to keep the C63 it's so easy to retrofit a better differential. Quaife or Wavetrac can both be had for around £1,500 fitted and are a desirable feature at sale time.

Sounds like you've got the weekend fun covered so if you've made enough good memories in the C63 and you like the E63 it should be worth the change.

Although the estates are relatively rare compared to other body styles they tend to have less owners as they don't get cycled through by those who buy it just for the engine and then realise the cost of running it. You could find another if you miss it too much.
Thank you, that’s good to know.
another factor is just having a newer car, newer tech, etc...but I’m still wavering..

You can also retrofit a tablet type screen with Android Auto/Carplay to the 204...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A number of factors at play here, what roads you drive, how big your kids are etc.

For me, I care less about tech (more to go wrong) the s204 ticks many boxes (noise being key) so with spare cash and space on the drive I would go a different direction and get a side piece convertible to mince around in when the sun is shining. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom