Should I keep or trade in my 2013 C63 estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just read through the replies again from the start. it seems quite heavily in favour of either keeping my C63, or otherwise either neutral or suggesting the newer C63. Nobody has come out firmly in favour of buying the 213 E63. Which I have to say, really made me reflect.

I did have an extensive test drive of the new E63 but that is never a substitute for ownership experience.

so here’s my current question. If I were to keep the C63, what should I do, within moderation, to keep it interesting?

I have the following from this thread (Thank you)

- quaife or similar LSD
- upgraded nav etc screen

I wouldn’t want to go mad on mods and everything would need to be reversible, undetectable, or not detrimental to value for no reason, for example I don’t need the suspension to be any firmer.

is a MSL or DMS remap worthwhile, and also, would it make the car less drivable in town, more jumpy and over responsive? I had that previously on another car. This car is still primarily an everyday hack.

Someone said Lichfield do an exhaust cat bypass or similar- is that recommended? I don’t want it to sound antisocial. But a tad louder is ok!

I put Michelin PS4Ss all around which was a big improvement in both handling and ride.

many thanks.

I have just read through the replies again from the start. it seems quite heavily in favour of either keeping my C63, or otherwise either neutral or suggesting the newer C63. Nobody has come out firmly in favour of buying the 213 E63. Which I have to say, really made me reflect.

I did have an extensive test drive of the new E63 but that is never a substitute for ownership experience.

so here’s my current question. If I were to keep the C63, what should I do, within moderation, to keep it interesting?

- quaife or similar LSD

I wouldn’t want to go mad on mods and everything would need to be reversible, undetectable, or not detrimental to value for no reason, for example I don’t need the suspension to be any firmer.

is a MSL or DMS remap worthwhile, and also, would it make the car less drivable in town, more jumpy and over responsive? I had that previously on another car. This car is still primarily an everyday hack.

Someone said Lichfield do an exhaust cat bypass or similar- is that recommended? I don’t want it to sound antisocial. But a tad louder is ok!

I put Michelin PS4Ss all around which was a big improvement in both handling and ride.

many thanks.
Imo definitely lsd i had mine done at MSL quafe for £1550 all in maybe remap if its a standard 457bhp i can't really say on that as mines the ppp 503bhp totally standard hence not enough gain as mentioned earlier exhaust i personally wouldn't touch unless full ipe which is just a big expense cutting cats off etc i don't agree with, lsd would improve resale value as for mapping i personally wouldn't buy a remapped car but thats just me i think you love it but needed to be reminded 😉

A remap on the 204 C63 isn't like most cars where they're pushing beyond manufacturers' limits. The engine is throttled (literally) by software not allowing the throttle body to open beyond about two thirds. This limits power, especially over 5krpm. A remap unlocks the standard potential of the M156 to what it produces in other cars like the E63.

As long as you don't ask for farts and poops to be built in then it's just as smooth as standard to drive, but with a much stronger top end that keeps on pulling harder rather than tailing off. I had mine done by Celtic Tuning as they're the least expensive and the result is going to be very similar whoever you go to. A PPP is only 487hp so there is still something to unlock.

I went for a Wavetrac as it has some advantages over a Quaife but they're less widely available and you'd be happy with either.

Suspension/ride comfort can actually be improved with coilovers. I'm considering KW V3 as they allow the smallest drop between the brands and I'd want as close to stock ride height as possible.

If you want more noise then a secondary decat is the best compromise. No fault codes, no MOT emissions problems and sounds very similar to the stock tone but louder.

There are other things you can do. For example I upgraded my speakers to Morel components, added a front strut brace and changed the steering wheel for a later model one (straight swap from a facelift original A45). I also have some genuine 507 parts on my car, including the forged wheels, gearstick and front grille. I've added the genuine AMG centre caps on the wheels and the previous owner painted the DRLs, wing mirrors and roof black.

oBTbTv4.jpg

If you really want to enjoy the sound of the engine go for a drive with the boot cracked open. It's epic. Here's a video I made of mine with stock exhaust, watch the end for how to.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Let me change that 'Nobody' stat for you.
No disrespect intended but if you are listening to forum members (who you have probably never met) regarding such a big decision then could you agree that you may have already had your mind heading in a curtain direction before you even asked the question, which speaks volumes and you may not even need to read the rest of this post.
Having had some experience with a 213 E63s, I would hands down recommend it, but it all depends on what you want from a car. If you want much more transferable power via 4 matic+, then a 213 is the route you should take. If a much more advanced cockpit with up to date technology is what you desire, then a 213 is the route you should take. If you want a more spacious interior without it feeling like a much larger car when driving it, then a 213 is the route you should take. Of course the older generation 204 has many, many pro's and is a proven masterpiece.
If cost isn't an issue, then I would be moving with the times and buying the newer more advanced 213, but as you mention that seems to be going against the grain of advice from others.
What did you get out of your extensive test drive of the 213 E63, did you feel it would be an improvement over your S204 C63 or not?
You can guess where my money would be going if I was in your position.

- quaife or similar LSD

many thanks.
If yours is a standard 63 then a remap lsd and maybe kw coilovers, dont touch anything else.

A remap on the 204 C63 isn't like most cars where they're pushing beyond manufacturers' limits. The engine is throttled (literally) by software not allowing the throttle body to open beyond about two thirds. This limits power, especially over 5krpm. A remap unlocks the standard potential of the M156 to what it produces in other cars like the E63.

As long as you don't ask for farts and poops to be built in then it's just as smooth as standard to drive, but with a much stronger top end that keeps on pulling harder rather than tailing off. I had mine done by Celtic Tuning as they're the least expensive and the result is going to be very similar whoever you go to. A PPP is only 487hp so there is still something to unlock.

I went for a Wavetrac as it has some advantages over a Quaife but they're less widely available and you'd be happy with either.

Suspension/ride comfort can actually be improved with coilovers. I'm considering KW V3 as they allow the smallest drop between the brands and I'd want as close to stock ride height as possible.

If you want more noise then a secondary decat is the best compromise. No fault codes, no MOT emissions problems and sounds very similar to the stock tone but louder.

There are other things you can do. For example I upgraded my speakers to Morel components, added a front strut brace and changed the steering wheel for a later model one (straight swap from a facelift original A45). I also have some genuine 507 parts on my car, including the forged wheels, gearstick and front grille. I've added the genuine AMG centre caps on the wheels and the previous owner painted the DRLs, wing mirrors and roof black.

oBTbTv4.jpg

If you really want to enjoy the sound of the engine go for a drive with the boot cracked open. It's epic. Here's a video I made of mine with stock exhaust, watch the end for how to.

Stunning car. Couple of questions: 1/ what paint code is it- looks like a pearlescent? 2/ Do you ever feel the need to switch the radio on?😁 Thanks for sharing the video.

It's DIAMOND WHITE - METALLIC PAINT (799U). It is indeed a pearlescent type finish and it pops in the sun.

As it's a family car and used for Euro road trips as well as me having a blast on my own then the stereo does have its uses.

- quaife or similar LSD

many thanks.
Personally I would go for an E 63 S without hesitating, fantastic cars.

However I prevuously asked whether changing was the right thing to do if you hadn’t already made your mind up after a drive, and I would say the same bow.

The difference in value is not insignificant and personally I would be making that decision based upon what others say they would do in a hypothetical situation.

The good thing is that there is no wrong decision here 👍🏻

oBTbTv4.jpg

Not all PPP,s are 487bhp standard

Officially they are. Dyno readings might say slightly more but flywheel figures are a guestimate anyway. The point is a PPP has a map which is less restrictive than the base version but not as powerful as the 507 or in other models like the E63 so there's still some power left on the table with a remap.

Let me change that 'Nobody' stat for you.
No disrespect intended but if you are listening to forum members (who you have probably never met) regarding such a big decision then could you agree that you may have already had your mind heading in a curtain direction before you even asked the question, which speaks volumes and you may not even need to read the rest of this post.
Having had some experience with a 213 E63s, I would hands down recommend it, but it all depends on what you want from a car. If you want much more transferable power via 4 matic+, then a 213 is the route you should take. If a much more advanced cockpit with up to date technology is what you desire, then a 213 is the route you should take. If you want a more spacious interior without it feeling like a much larger car when driving it, then a 213 is the route you should take. Of course the older generation 204 has many, many pro's and is a proven masterpiece.
If cost isn't an issue, then I would be moving with the times and buying the newer more advanced 213, but as you mention that seems to be going against the grain of advice from others.
What did you get out of your extensive test drive of the 213 E63, did you feel it would be an improvement over your S204 C63 or not?
You can guess where my money would be going if I was in your position.

I really appreciate this reply, and all the others. I really am in two minds, And I can see the levels of knowledge and passion here.
I don’t think I have knowingly met anyone here!
But most of us go by codenames so who knows

I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford to trade to a 2017/18 213 E63S. Equally I do not have money to throw away and also, I certainly would not do the trade if I ended up with a car I enjoyed less…

Therefore my post.
Given lockdown means I won’t be driving much anyway for next couple of months, I am going to wait and see til Spring.

My misgiving about all the potential improvements to my existing car is that I will still end up having a seven year old car, fantastic though it is.

Officially they are. Dyno readings might say slightly more but flywheel figures are a guestimate anyway. The point is a PPP has a map which is less restrictive than the base version but not as powerful as the 507 or in other models like the E63 so there's still some power left on the table with a remap.
There was a member on here awhile back who payed for the brabus map for his ppp and the total gain was 4bhp so he had it removed his was also 503bhp so if the flywheel figure's are a guesstimate what's the 507 ? Im not trying to argue or anything it is my understanding that a remap for the c63 has the same final figure which ever model it is ? Tell me if im wrong

There was a member on here awhile back who payed for the brabus map for his ppp and the total gain was 4bhp so he had it removed his was also 503bhp so if the flywheel figure's are a guesstimate what's the 507 ? Im not trying to argue or anything it is my understanding that a remap for the c63 has the same final figure which ever model it is ? Tell me if im wrong
That was Andrew @Palmball

Broadly speaking the final figures for a simple remap are the same regardless of if it's the base version, PPP or 507. However, the PPP and 507 have some lighter forged internals and do tend to return slightly better numbers. Maybe it's the lower rotational inertia that means less losses.

The 507 is a factory rated figure where they could directly dyno the engine.

Anyway, as you say it's not something to argue about!

Broadly speaking the final figures for a simple remap are the same regardless of if it's the base version, PPP or 507. However, the PPP and 507 have some lighter forged internals and do tend to return slightly better numbers. Maybe it's the lower rotational inertia that means less losses.

The 507 is a factory rated figure where they could directly dyno the engine.

Anyway, as you say it's not something to argue about!
3kg lighter.

Don't know! It's called the 'Emotion Flick', comes as standard when you're having fun. :cool:
I missed that - I was more concentrating on listening for the downshift throttle blip than actually watching what was going on🤩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom