should I leave the 18" club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickl

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK280 W209
the car used to have these on- 18" style II's

mybaby.jpg

I've now put on 17" style IV's

L1000213.jpg

Pros of the new ones are ride has improved, no rubbing on the tyres. Also the cruise control is working properly, previously wouldn't hold any speed above 70mph. Tested it at 90mph on a 'private' road :D The Pirellis P-Zeros on these are quieter than the Michelin Pilots too.

Undecided looks wise of the car. Should I leave them on.

mickl said:
the car used to have these on- 18" style II's

I've now put on 17" style IV's

Pros of the new ones are ride has improved, no rubbing on the tyres. Also the cruise control is working properly, previously wouldn't hold any speed above 70mph. Tested it at 90mph on a 'private' road :D The Pirellis P-Zeros on these are quieter than the Michelin Pilots too.

Undecided looks wise of the car. Should I leave them on.

If the car works better mate, why take them off!!

I think the 17's look great!

maybe I'm just vain :p

the rears don't fill the arches as much width wise though. hmmmm...should I give in to my aesthetic sense? lol

mickl said:
maybe I'm just vain :p

the rears don't fill the arches as much width wise though. hmmmm...should I give in to my aesthetic sense? lol

For me, cruise would win the argument, but then I'm a lazy bugger... :rolleyes:

I like the 18's you had. I am sure the rubbing and cruise could be sorted- sounds like a tyre size problem. Lots of other w202's running 18s with no probs.

The style IV's just don't look big enough to pull of the more modern design on the w202.

I also think the style IV's loose the Q-car aspect your C36. OK you have a few other sutble mods, but it looks like a mostly original car, even on 18's. With the style IV's it looks like a modded car - ok so you have the engine to go with it, it's no BarryBoy (I see you are signed up so know what I mean) but my personal taste is wolf in sheeps clothing.

That is a very critical review though. To be honest both look great. To be honest as I write the style IV's are growing on me. On your AMG, you cant really argue they are out of place. I would happily have the 17" style IV's, but not sure I could having had 18's. To be honest I think those alloys look too small on a C32.

Last edited:
I know what you mean Graham about the Q car look. One of the reason why I went for a C36 over an M3. I reckon it still only looks like a C class with big(ish) wheels. The rubbing on the 18s would have meant rolling the arches, to be fair they only rubbed on near full lock turning or on big hollows in the road. Never got to the bottom of the cruise control prob with the 18's, the tyres that I ran were the same size as Alps and Mambo have on their rims and they don't experience the problems I had.

Just been for a quick trip into the city centre and cruising past shop windows, the look of the style IV's were growing on me quickly :) Might search for some 18's in style IV :D

and yeah, 17"'s on the C32 look ridiculously small for the car :(

Last edited:
I think it looks good with the new wheels, but I prefer the old ones. But then I would say that wouldn't I ;)

18's definitely :)

As the others have said you shouldn't have any problem with cruise control & 18's, I like the styling IV's but the II's do suit your C36 really well.

I don't think the Styling IVs work as 17" .. too small diameter for a wheel with that much 'detail'. However, Styling IV is fabulous as 18".

Having said all that, the "classic" Styling II in 18" (or even 17") works really well with the more classically styled W202

Hey Mick,

Nice wheels mate, suit the car too.

I used to have some of those till i sold em to a guy up north with a blue c36 :p

They'll grow on you, and yes , they do look ridiculous on a C32 thats why i upgraded to 18" style iv's.

Make me an offer for my 18's and ill consider going for 19's :)

andy_cyp said:
Hey Mick,

Nice wheels mate, suit the car too.

I used to have some of those till i sold em to a guy up north with a blue c36 :p

They'll grow on you, and yes , they do look ridiculous on a C32 thats why i upgraded to 18" style iv's.

Make me an offer for my 18's and ill consider going for 19's :)

I'll offer 50p and a bag of chips for the 18s? :D :p

I like the look side on but the front the back the rears look a bit narrow with too much of a gap between the edge of the bodywork and the face of the wheel.

Anyone know if spacers would be ok to push wheels the wheels out a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom