Should I need to press the brake pedal on my R129 to start the car?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by IMD, Sep 22, 2011.

1. IMD

IMD Active Member

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Hi all,

I have a 1997 R129 SL500. Recently I've noticed that when turning the key to start the car, the dashboard lights flicker, sometimes not coming on at all, meaning I can't start the car.

Then yesterday, I did the same.......no lights...then pressed the brake pedal and the dash lights came on and it started fine. I tried it again and when pressed, all lights came on.

Now, I'm sure I never start the car with my foot on the brake pedal normally, or maybe I do and I just have forgot!

Is this normal? I assumed that I had a faulty ignition switch, but maybe I'm just being stupid!

Ian

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    My W203 auto - for what its worth - starts without pressing the brake pedal.

My keyless-go-equivalent Renault, on the other hand, will not start if the brake pedal is not pressed.

But you are right - I did not really notice it as I have the habit of always starting automatic cars with the brake pedal pressed.... and manual ones with the clutch pressed. Just an added layer of safety...

3. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    It sounds very much like you hace a faulty ignition switch. Get it sorted asap as they can suddenly fail leaving you unable to turn the key and locking the steering lock.

4. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    No!

5. OP
    OP
    IMD

IMD Active Member

Car:
    1997 SL500
    Thanks guys..I've booked it in to Alan Robertson in Hove. Not sure whether to use it in the mean time..which means over a week of no SL moments :-(

I'm worried I'll be calling out the AA to tow me if I can't start it..maybe best to leave it sitting on the road for the next 10 days....

I can still clean and polish it I suppose!

6. ans

ans Member

Car:
    350slk r171
    why worry if your a member of the AA thats what you pay your money for,such a lovely car to leave for 10 days, specially as its going to be hot and sunny down here on the coast

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011