Should i.......or shouldn't i??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bulletguy

Car
Ford Transit AutoSleeper Duetto
OK i've just joined the forum as this looks to be the best laid out and good place to ask.

I'm looking around for a car to keep use of my camper down to a minimum. As i'm retired mileage will be minimal (approx 3-4k per year). I'm on a budget of £2500 as i don't want to splash too much because i'm replacing my camper next year. A small car (Fiesta, Peugeot 207, or Citroen C4) would meet my needs but i'm tempted by a taste of some luxury motoring for a change and a Merc with autobox appeals.

Searching through ebay, AutoTrader and Gumtree finding some Mercs at surprisingly low prices. I'm aware diesel Mercs (which is the engine type i want) are known for their capability of high mileage but also aware that cars like this can end up being a money pit! I spotted this one which i like the look of...especially the interior colour...and checking out it's MOT history it reads pretty good. Condition looks pretty good for age too but is it the 'right' price? As a cash buyer i will look to strike a deal on whatever car i eventually buy. Does anyone know what the VED tax is on this model Merc?

Mercedes-Benz E320 3.2TD auto 2003MY CDI Elegance | eBay

Searching through ebay, AutoTrader and Gumtree finding some Mercs at surprisingly low prices. I'm aware diesel Mercs (which is the engine type i want) are known for their capability of high mileage but also aware that cars like this can end up being a money pit!
Welcome to MBClub.

Without actually commenting upon the specific car you’ve found, whilst it’s true that diesel-engined Mercedes are capable of very high mileages if well maintained, it’s equally true of petrol-engined Mercedes.

However the cost of maintaining and repairing a diesel will be significant for a car of that vintage, and more than the equivalent petrol-engined model.

Given that maintenance and repairs can be so expensive on diesel-engined cars, plus your annual mileage will be low, and there is still some uncertainty in the market regarding the future of diesels, I would suggest looking for a petrol-engined model - or at least not dismissing the possibility.

Good luck with your search.

..Given that maintenance and repairs can be so expensive on diesel-engined cars, plus your annual mileage will be low, and there is still some uncertainty in the market regarding the future of diesels, I would suggest looking for a petrol-engined model - or at least not dismissing the possibility...

As above.

In the alternative you could sell the camper, buy a newer more reliable Mercedes and as you are retired treat your aged body to a little luxury and start staying in B&B.s. or hotels? Just a suggestion though [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

All good sound advice above.
However, of all the cars I have had, the best one overall was my E320 CDi from that vintage (actually a 2007 model, but still a W211).
Its true that it can be expensive if it goes wrong, but they don't go wrong that much - and what isn't expensive these days!

It would be very different from the 207 or the C4 and incomparable really.

If you get a good one, and there will be many around, they cost next to nothing and there is a very good chance you will get several years of motoring with very little extra expense. You do pay for "road tax" though (or whatever its called these days) - I think it was about £265- and it won't do more than about 35 to the gallon around town
There are more common faults to watch for, so do your research on what to look for. "Black death" would be one to look for - do a search, but go and have a drive of one

All good sound advice above.
However, of all the cars I have had, the best one overall was my E320 CDi from that vintage (actually a 2007 model, but still a W211).
Its true that it can be expensive if it goes wrong, but they don't go wrong that much - and what isn't expensive these days!

We have a 2007 Vito with the same engine (OM642 V6 CDI), owned from new, FMBSH and currently on 94k miles. It's been off the road (EML on, limp mode) 7 times since April ... with a total repair cost of over £5k:

Fuel pressure sensor
EGR valve
New manifolds
New turbo
DPF temperature sensor

And there's still an intermittent MAF sensor error - if it comes up again that will need replacing. Prior to this year the crankshaft position sensor and differential pressure sensors failed, both also resulting in breakdowns.

Modern diesels are great when running but are basically far too complicated for their own good, IMHO. Add in a growing anti-diesel lobby and I'd be looking at petrol every time now.

I'd avoid a diesel if you are only doing 3-4K p.a.

There's a v. nice looking, loved, not rusty, 62K mile R reg W202 C200 on the official club site for 1500 quid. I'd look for something like that.

Don't buy a car from anyone who blocks the pavement like he has done.

In the alternative you could sell the camper, buy a newer more reliable Mercedes and as you are retired treat your aged body to a little luxury and start staying in B&B.s. or hotels? Just a suggestion though [emoji6]
SL.....Camper is being sold early next year (pre-season) as i'm looking around for whats known as a fixed bed type. Campers/motorhomes ain't cheap things to buy but that's the reason i'm on a tight budget for a car. Most of the cash will go buying a later model van. Regards your point about B&B's etc, i tour in East European countries where costs are very cheap. By comparison UK is horrendously expensive to tour, not 'motorhome friendly', and very restrictive...eg max stay on motorway services 2 hrs not to mention the numerous car parks which ban overnight parking.

I'd avoid a diesel if you are only doing 3-4K p.a.

There's a v. nice looking, loved, not rusty, 62K mile R reg W202 C200 on the official club site for 1500 quid. I'd look for something like that.
Good point as i realise as diesels go the mpg is not that brilliant if you look at a Fiesta 1.6HDi.....but then we are talking "chalk 'n cheese"! Will have a look at that ad you mention and certainly bear in mind everything each has said re.costs and diesel.

Don't buy a car from anyone who blocks the pavement like he has done.
LOL! I forgot to mention he's a trader and from what i can see is just a small garage. He has a few cars for sale he's photographed on the same section of pavement so maybe it just gives a better visual.

We have a 2007 Vito with the same engine (OM642 V6 CDI), owned from new, FMBSH and currently on 94k miles. It's been off the road (EML on, limp mode) 7 times since April ... with a total repair cost of over £5k:

Fuel pressure sensor
EGR valve
New manifolds
New turbo
DPF temperature sensor

And there's still an intermittent MAF sensor error - if it comes up again that will need replacing. Prior to this year the crankshaft position sensor and differential pressure sensors failed, both also resulting in breakdowns.

Modern diesels are great when running but are basically far too complicated for their own good, IMHO. Add in a growing anti-diesel lobby and I'd be looking at petrol every time now.

And having spoken to the owner of my old 2007 CDi, its now got 97000 on it (I sold at 74k) and the only issue its had is a glow plug relay failing, which is not urgent to repair.
They certainly are more complicated than the previous generations (my W210 had 472k on it with no known serious issues when I sold it, so a difficult target to beat) but they don't necessarily cause problems. If you do get a troublemaker though, like you have, then thats cold-comfort. But in this case, assuming its running ok, the OP will not be investing a lot of money and £5k worth of repair would result in scrap value being claimed. So its a risk (as with any second hand car) but the upside is the chance at one of the best drivetrains and some seriously relaxing motoring, with the downside being a world of pain with a single cost limit of £2500. Other vehicles won't have quite the same upside, but will have similar potential downsides, I suggest.
As always if you do your homework, you can reduce the chances of buying a disaster. As with life, there are no guarantees.

You are right. Thought it was just a badly closed bonnet but on closer inspection something looks out of whack. But its not available anymore anyway

On an older car if you can get any proof of work done it's good. For the next owner I always leave the folder of receipts and records in the boot of cars I sell.

On an older car if you can get any proof of work done it's good. For the next owner I always leave the folder of receipts and records in the boot of cars I sell.

A nice gesture but don't forget that many of those receipts and invoices will include your name, address and possibly a contact number and you don't know where they will eventually end up.

A nice gesture but don't forget that many of those receipts and invoices will include your name, address and possibly a contact number and you don't know where they will eventually end up.

Mine ended up with a lovely guy in Germany who imported an old car of mine and we had a good chat about it.
:D

Aye, I do remove card receipts etc but not my address.

I note it is a CAT D write off / repaired. Doesn't matter now that it is sold, but just be aware - cheap cars are often damage repaired (which might explain the poor shut line on the bonnet of the E-class you originally found)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom