Should I replace the Valeo radiator?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

03E500

Just spent 108 quids to carry out a glycol test, just to ensure that my E500 does not have that awful issue.

The test came back ok, no issue. But a preventative action is to replace it, not sure if it is worth it though.

I was quoted about 1000 to replace the radiator, a bit pricey I think.

Anyway, the car has done 97,000 miles and no issue, if there is an issue with the radiator, is itlikely to fail a lot earlier than this?

Could someone advice if it is worth replacing it?

Thanks.

If I were you, I'd just keep an eye out for the main symptom which is juddering on accelerating between 10-30mph when accelerating. As a further precaution, you might consider having the glycol test repeated whenever you have the car serviced.

DieselE said:
If I were you, I'd just keep an eye out for the main symptom which is juddering on accelerating between 10-30mph when accelerating. As a further precaution, you might consider having the glycol test repeated whenever you have the car serviced.

If you wait for a judder to appear then it's too late!.... the damage has already been done!...........

Preventative action by replacing the radiator now might cost you £1k...but be assured it will cost you an awful lot more if you dont when you could be faced (in the extreme) with a bill for a radiator, transmission and torque converter...probably up to £5k in total..

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30003

Last edited:
Well, what is the percentage of Valeo radiators with this awful issue of leaking coolant into the Automatic transmission ?

Just wondering - how many members in here actually had their Valeo radiators replaced??

This fault only applies to cars,203 with engine 111,112,271,611,612990,646
209 cars with engine 112,113,271,612, and cars 211 with engine 113,271, 628,647,648 all fitted with the 772.6 gearbox and up to 30 09 03.

When the cars have been modified there is a white spot on the rad.
I hope this puts your mind at rest.

Malcolm

valeo

Ive a sept 54 c270 cdi.I have just looked and found out i have a valeo radiator.:devil:
Should i worry or were later valeo radiators redesigned ??

Ive a sept 54 c270 cdi.I have just looked and found out i have a valeo radiator.:devil:

I have known of 2 04 cars to have this, it was my understanding that the relationship ended with Valeo in 03 but it is confusing, perhaps an MB guy can answer this.

Once again rads that are modified do have the white spot on the cooler

For total peace of mind, my advice would be to modify the existing set-up and have a totally stand alone oil cooler fitted, as is the case with the ML...........cap-off the original oil cooler inlet/outlet and then even if the division failed....no problem, you just gain an extra area of engine cooling radiator!!

For total peace of mind, my advice would be to modify the existing set-up and have a totally stand alone oil cooler fitted, as is the case with the ML...........cap-off the original oil cooler inlet/outlet and then even if the division failed....no problem, you just gain an extra area of engine cooling radiator!!

Thats a good idea, and much cheaper :):)

209 cars with engine 112,113,271,612, and cars 211 with engine 113,271, 628,647,648 all fitted with the 772.6 gearbox and up to 30 09 03.

Malcolm[/quote

Why are w210 models not affected Malcolm?
John

Malcolm[/quote

Why are w210 models not affected Malcolm?
John
Its a totally different set up, this Valeo rad was only used at the start of the affected 3 new cars

the ones that valeos do not affect

I'm fairly sure that a good indie could change the rad for you and the cost would be significantly lower. PM Ollie " BlackC55 " he would be able to give you a costing I'm sure.

Checked my car for make of rad the other day whilst I was doing my rear bushes, I could find no identifying marks of the maker either on the top or bottom of the radiator.

I could find no identifying marks of the maker either on the top or bottom of the radiator.

Nor mine - so I have a W211 E-Class with a Sept 2003 delivery and a 722.699 gearbox. No symptoms - any preventative measures I should be taking now?

I guess MB aren't admitting any liability if glycol does get into the box so my ServicePlus contract won't be any help to me - or will it??

Nor mine - so I have a W211 E-Class with a Sept 2003 delivery and a 722.699 gearbox. No symptoms - any preventative measures I should be taking now?

I guess MB aren't admitting any liability if glycol does get into the box so my ServicePlus contract won't be any help to me - or will it??
The gloom and doom brigade will say no, but I will say yes.:)

John

Would be very interesting; would the radiator have worn out (therefore be covered) or failed (therefore, strictly, not covered)?

Of course, if MB deemed the radiator to have failed, they then lay themselves open to a 'fit for purpose' claim, as no-one would expect an MB radiator to fail after a few years.

In practice I would expect ServicePlus to cover it, but there may well be some re-assignment of cost going on in the background.

A radiator has failed if it leaks, thats all there is to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom