Should I risk a CVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisaaaaa

Car
C220 Est 2011 facelift
I have run screaming from a VW with failing DSG (google it) to a manual C class. Now my other half needs to run away from her Auris with failing MMT (yes google that too).

She would like a B class but only drives autos, I have that sinking feeling, is it going to be another fiasco?

I can see a few problem posts here, is that just the odd problem car, or should I go and find a manufacturer who still does old fashioned torque convertors?

Chris

If in doubt, kick it out.

Some members on here have run A Classes with CVT with no problems others, well you will have seen their posts.

The B Class may not have been around long enough yet to prove itself. A decent warranty may help, but oh do read that small print.

And if you do go B Class stay away from sports suspension or even bigger than standard wheels. I have driven one with Sports pack with 18 inch wheels. A right uncomfy bus it was.

Good Luck.

CHEERS

I have run screaming from a VW with failing DSG (google it) to a manual C class. Now my other half needs to run away from her Auris with failing MMT (yes google that too).

She would like a B class but only drives autos, I have that sinking feeling, is it going to be another fiasco?

I can see a few problem posts here, is that just the odd problem car, or should I go and find a manufacturer who still does old fashioned torque convertors?

Chris

Honestjohn.co.uk does a list of all cars with torque convertor autos.Have a look and he is fond of the new Toyota CVT !!

REGARDS
JOHN

Done 50k in are cvt b200 cdi with no issues, just make sure the gearbox service is done every 40k without fail.

Done 50k in are cvt b200 cdi with no issues, just make sure the gearbox service is done every 40k without fail.

It is all sounding like a DSG, expensive oil at 40K or suffer the consequences.

Mine got to 63K (FVWSH, oil changed at 38K), VW made off like bandits but sale of goods act got it fixed, then at 75K bunny hops and stalls again, time to cash in the extended warranty, not a chance, thank you Quentin.

Shame - I have driven the B class manual it was pretty good at what it does, hence the wife thinking she would have one.

I think I would feel a proper idiot if I bought all the worst gearboxes in history one after the other.
:doh:

My current car is a B180CDi with cvt gearbox at 78k miles. So far, touch wood, I have had no problem with it, just a bit strange to drive, for example, under braking, it changes "down the gears" to give engine braking, great when going down hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom