Should I take out extended warranty on 2nd hand E350 CDI (2009)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renidroc

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2nd hand E350 CDI, Dec 2009. The car has 21,000 miles on the clock.

The car has been given a one year warranty but for £1000 I can purchase a further 3 year warranty from the garage taking me to 4 years.

Is this worth doing?

Many thanks

That's a tough one.

As a later car there shouldn't be much to go wrong, however, you may feel at £333 a year/£6 a week, it's worth it.

Check the exclusions too.

My 2008 has been faultless.

Warranties are a gamble, and on average the warranty company wins. It depends whether you're able to absorb an unplanned big bill or prefer to have known expenditure — assuming you're fully covered...

Who is the provider of the extended warranty?

Local Mercedes dealership in channel islands

Local Mercedes dealership in channel islands

Seems unlikely at the price you said. You might be buying it from them, but they'll be reselling a 3rd party warranty.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if you trust the dealer to stand behind it.

Car Care Plan? Read the small print very very carefully. When I bought my Lexus RX from a franchised dealer 5 years ago it was three years old and covered by that warranty company, when I read the small print there was very little indeed that was actually covered! And the bits that were covered had some very tight restrictions on. Luckily being a Toyota in a wedding dress the car has been ultra reliable with only a O2 sensor needing replacement last year and an indicator bulb.....

Check the small print.

Slightly O/T:

Took out the extended Land Rover approved warranty for my RRS, and it is administered by Car Care plan, fortunately I haven't had to use it yet.

Although in the warranty pack it does state that wear and tear items are not covered and a single claim is limited to £3000.

Thanks for the advice folks. I have decided not to take it out for the very reasons stated by boxbrownie. When looking at all of the exclusions it was clear that the chances are that if anything goes wrong would probably not be covered anyway so my thoughts are save the grand and keep it to the side just in case the worst should happen. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Mmm I dont like the idea of extended waranty. When I bought my car I got 6 months warranty..2 months lata had a a problem with the turbo, the warranty company said they would cover it, after i had the repair done they refuse to pay mercedes and i had to pay £340 :( otherwise i would not of got my car back!

i had an RAC twelve month warranty included in the sale price by the dealer selling my ten year old V220. My initial thoughts were that it would be a waste of time but they paid up for a new suspension pump:)

Having dismissed warranties in post #3, I think a few months' warranty is quite a good idea when buying a used vehicle, to pick up on all the problems that are mounting up to cause the previous owner to sell...

After that, I'd like to think my care and maintenance would weight the odds in my favour when not choosing to extend that warranty.

I had six months' cover on my S211, but they didn't cover injector seal failure, the only non-wear&tear thing to go wrong in the period.

Last edited:
Thanks Troon, yeah the car has come with a year warranty from the dealership but my option was to extend that for a further 3 years taking it to 4 in total but I have not taken that option in light of all of the comments above and thinking about it further.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom