Should I take the fixed penalty

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by hotchyboy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. hotchyboy

hotchyboy Member

This morning I went through a red? amber? light at a junction. Traffic cops were the second car at the junction wating for the green light so they could turn right.

They said it was red, I said it was amber. They were not behind me so how could they tell? They issued me with a fixed penalty and threatened that if I appealed they would recommend a charge of dangerous driving.

I felt a bit hard done the rest of the car journey to the office. When I looked at the fixed penalty I noticed that the police officer had stated the wrong street name on the form.

Is it worth taking a chance?( I have no points on liscence)

Also If I accept the fixed penalty(3 points and £60) am I admitting guilt?

What would you do? Thanks.

Craig

2. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500
    OK if you went to court and the judge said to you "do you plead guilty or not guilty" you could say not guilty. when asked why you could say that you were not in that street, and it should be thrown out of court.

Technically you should not go through a amber light unless it is not safe to stop or would have been dangerous in your view

3. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Was the street name on the ticket the other road at this junction maybe?

TBH going through a dodgy amber/red light with a traffic car sitting there is a bit daft. As Malcolm has pointed out, you're supposed to stop for an amber light anyway (which is displayed for 3 seconds ... should be enough time to stop).

At many junctions you have a clear view of the 'other' lights so it's easy to see when someone has gone through a red. Your word against two traffic cops probably isn't going to work in court ... I assume you were on your own?

Yes taking the fixed penalty is admitting guilt ... that's why you get the points on your licence. Which could affect your insurance, it's normally only speeding points they're not that bothered by.

4. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500
    Thanks for the 3 second bit, I know that many traffic lights in town centers have automatic cameras for this going and through on amber

5. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  6. bouncer

bouncer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

"When I looked at the fixed penalty I noticed that the police officer had stated the wrong street name on the form."

This happend to my friend, and at court the case got thrown out, but he got charged again with the correct street name (which was the opposite junction) as soon as he got out of the court.

sTeVe

7. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    hmm have always wondered about this as i have had them through with the wrong name too.... i have just said this person does not live at this address in the past and have not heard anythign back...

8. jonm

jonm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ...a rental..not saying what !
    Friend of mine contested this one a few years ago.

Result, same, just more cost..chance of actually winning against the word of the nations finest is arouns 0%

My view, take it on the chin

9. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    In a word....yes.

10. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    You're stuffed. Two Traffic Officers will corroborate each other and no court will believe your word against theirs unless you have cast-iron independent witnesses to demonstrate that they are not telling the truth. The wrong street name may be correctable under the slip rule (which is meant to deal with minor errors like writing a 5 instead of an "S" or whatever), or failing that you could be re-charged with the correct info unless you get past the time limit for summons under a revised charge (probably 6 months).

This isn't meant to sound patronising, but think yourself lucky that someone else wasn't anticipating the lights in the other direction at the same time you were pushing your luck and you collected eachother. Pay the fixed penalty and be more careful at traffic lights in the future.

11. evdok

evdok Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
    Goto the nick and get the officers details and call there bluff that you are telling your story to your local paper.

got wound up a bit!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  12. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    We have a few serving police officers on this forum and perhaps your comment might be seen as offensive?

John

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  13. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    Must admit I think this is a terrible attitude to take and bypassing the forum's swear filter is not big and it's not clever.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  14. IanA2

Car:
    And some who are not police officers who still find that sort of remark puerile. I wonder where poster will go for help when he needs it?

15. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    I was trying to be tactful, but I confess to being very surprised at evdok, it does seem out of character.

John

16. IanA2

Car:

Sometimes tact isn't appropriate.....:)

17. evdok

Car:
    The reason for the hard post was that i went through the same thing, nicked for doing 120mph in a golf gti lookalike, it was a 1.4!! went to court and got adjourned, went back to court this time officers never turned up so i pleaded guilty to speeding over 70mph. I was out of pocket £1000 for solicitor.

My apologies if it offended anyone:)

18. IanA2

Car:
    I really don't want to start anything here.....but....I really don't see how anything you have just related in this post justifies your previous remark....which frankly I think you should remove.

19. IanA2

Car:
    Ok...I see you have...

20. evdok

Car:
    Maybe you should read the thread again!

Tags: