Should I take the fixed penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks

I have read all the posts - Thanks, I needed to hear the advice.

Traffic cops could never have seen the red light or stop sign and had no my knowledge had no video equipment.

I suppose if I am totally honest it was probably red when I was in the junction but I can say that nobody on the other roads on the junctiuon had started to move.

I suppose I have to take the 3 points and not do it again despite the fact that I think it would not get to court. Why take the risk. I have no witness. This is not justice but I made an error. My frien who got caught doing 110Mph now has the same points as me ....3!!!! Fair?

It was local and would be concerned of revenge.

Craig

PS. I never saw the post with the swearing. Hope it was as good as some of the ones I used after the event.

similar 3 pointer

Having second thoughts about going to court with mine after reading OP's post;

Beat bobby pulled me for using phone on [unadopted as yet] private/new hosing estate road - says I was using it on main road - I denied this at time, but no mention in his statement[no mention of his 'not liking my attitude' either - but that is another matter].

He was on his own[no corroboration] and had ample opportunity, on the main drive just after junction with main road and leading to house about 600 yards, to pull me before I parked outside the house but didn't, what do you guys[and gals, sorry Pammy] think? - fight it or take it on the chin???

Beat bobby pulled me for using phone on [unadopted as yet] private/new hosing estate road - says I was using it on main road - I denied this at time, but no mention in his statement[no mention of his 'not liking my attitude' either - but that is another matter].

He was on his own[no corroboration] and had ample opportunity, on the main drive just after junction with main road and leading to house about 600 yards, to pull me before I parked outside the house but didn't, what do you guys[and gals, sorry Pammy] think? - fight it or take it on the chin???

Not sure what the private road element has to do with this? :mad:

"Unadopted" means that the local authority do not have responsibility for the maintenance of the road. It does not mean that it is not a public highway - same rules as supermarket carparks.

Which means you can be done for using your hand-held mobile when driving around Tesco's carpark.... just ask my neighbour.

Sorry , bloody mobiles are my pet hate - in the car , in fact in many places. If the business is that important then pull over and answer it .

Can't walk around Sainsburys' without someone stopping dead and talking benign rubbish on a mobile.

I'm glad that the police are nicking people - I watch parents swerving all over the road with a mobile welded to their ear picking up jnr and I will actively block the road and shame them .
I will walk away from anyone who answers when if I am having any sort of meeting. Tools of the devil:devil:

Last edited:
I think the government should offer a grant of some kind to contribute to wards fitting hands free to all vehicles, maybe this will encourage people to have it done,lets face it how many of us have answered the phone whilst driving since it became law.

I think the government should offer a grant of some kind to contribute to wards fitting hands free to all vehicles, maybe this will encourage people to have it done,lets face it how many of us have answered the phone whilst driving since it became law.

I have heard it all - why not pay for two 18 year old secretaries too while they are at it?

Speak for yourself , I don't answer the phone while I'm in the car - I rarely carry it , and if it does , then I leave it - vodafone cunningly provide a messenger service for this very situation.

I'll tell you what will "encourage" people to have it done - a 7 day ban for the first offence and 3 points and a month and 6 points for the second . Hopefully insurers nail people to the wall for using a mobile while driving.

Last edited:
"Unadopted" means that the local authority do not have responsibility for the maintenance of the road

I know what unadopted means ;) :)

My point was, as Fred put so well - it makes no difference, and is no excuse - I don't see why using the phone on a "private" road makes it ok, because it doesn't.

why not pay for two 18 year old secretaries too while they are at it?

I think you're starting to wonder...:eek:

"Unadopted" means that the local authority do not have responsibility for the maintenance of the road. It does not mean that it is not a public highway - same rules as supermarket carparks.

Which means you can be done for using your hand-held mobile when driving around Tesco's carpark.... just ask my neighbour.

This is not exactly the point I am trying to make, just background - but it is not public highway - it is a private road[not a track an ex factory access road 12.0m wide]

More to the point is the fact that his statement of events is wrong

This is not exactly the point I am trying to make, just background - but it is not public highway - it is a private road[not a track an ex factory access road 12.0m wide]

More to the point is the fact that his statement of events is wrong

I thought you said it was
Beat bobby pulled me for using phone on [unadopted as yet] private/new hosing estate road - says I was using it on main road

Do the public have the right to drive over it and do you need motor insurance to drive on it?

Sound like same meat different gravy to me.

If it was private property rather than an unadopted road - I would politely request the policeman to leave unless he has very good reason to be there.

I suppose I have to take the 3 points and not do it again despite the fact that I think it would not get to court. Why take the risk. I have no witness. This is not justice but I made an error. My frien who got caught doing 110Mph now has the same points as me ....3!!!! Fair?

Absolutely not. If your friend was caught doing 110mph on a clear motorway then he didn't endanger anyone. If however he was doing 110mph down a narrow road at 3pm with a school on one side and an old peoples home on the other and ran down a kid carrying a basked of kittens then I guess he got away lightly.

As for jumping a non-green light, on a clear junction with no-one coming across your stream of traffic it's no big deal, unfortunately if there's traffic waiting to cross your way they'll see their green as a cue to go, not just go if it's safe to do so, and that is why traffic light offences tend to be treated quite harshly.

Even more harsh is skipping a level crossing with signs at danger - mate borrowed my car and did this, they don't issue an FPN - it was a court appearance...

Wow, Ive read all the threads and im impressed. We have people blatantly admitting offences and trying to justify, having been caught, why they should not be prosecuted. Im a bog standard patrol officer who has to deal with this stuff every day. What's not mentioned are the incidents that go horribly wrong. For example, as stated in one post a driver jumps the green light in one direction and another jumps the red from the other direction..bang and they both blame each other. We do not get any financial reward for prosecuting motorists, in fact its a a pain in the bum and represents only paperwork, we are measured on 'detections' and apart from dangerous driving (and even that needs the permission of CPS), all other motoring offences are not 'detectable'

I have a task for you all. When you are driving tommorow, make an effort to watch other road users, particularly at traffic light controlled junctions. Look at every driver coming towards you, when you are stationary look at evey one around you, make the effort and you will see lots of offences being commited. Who wears seatbelts nowadays? Mobile phones are still being used. At our nick we joke that a red light means 'oh go on then just two more cars' In general, the UK's roads are unpoliced, its only due to the majority of road users obeying the highway code that things run reasonably smoothly. Come back and tell me Im wrong!
Traffic cars are all equipped with video, whether its on at the relevant time is a different matter.
The biggest single thing people gripe to me about (apart from yobs) is other peoples bad driving.
FACT. most officers I know, ignore most traffic offences...its not worth the bother. It bothers me unfortunately.

At our nick we joke that a red light means 'oh go on then just two more cars'

Where I live (North West London) that's exactly how a (substantial) mininority of drivers treat red lights.

Luckily the traffic speeds are low-ish so they seem to get away with near misses most of the time.......

Wow, Ive read all the threads and im impressed. We have people blatantly admitting offences and trying to justify, having been caught, why they should not be prosecuted. Im a bog standard patrol officer who has to deal with this stuff every day. What's not mentioned are the incidents that go horribly wrong. For example, as stated in one post a driver jumps the green light in one direction and another jumps the red from the other direction..bang and they both blame each other. We do not get any financial reward for prosecuting motorists, in fact its a a pain in the bum and represents only paperwork, we are measured on 'detections' and apart from dangerous driving (and even that needs the permission of CPS), all other motoring offences are not 'detectable'

I have a task for you all. When you are driving tommorow, make an effort to watch other road users, particularly at traffic light controlled junctions. Look at every driver coming towards you, when you are stationary look at evey one around you, make the effort and you will see lots of offences being commited. Who wears seatbelts nowadays? Mobile phones are still being used. At our nick we joke that a red light means 'oh go on then just two more cars' In general, the UK's roads are unpoliced, its only due to the majority of road users obeying the highway code that things run reasonably smoothly. Come back and tell me Im wrong!
Traffic cars are all equipped with video, whether its on at the relevant time is a different matter.
The biggest single thing people gripe to me about (apart from yobs) is other peoples bad driving.
FACT. most officers I know, ignore most traffic offences...its not worth the bother. It bothers me unfortunately.

Very true, but you won't like this next bit...

Until a few years ago a good few officers relied upon their warrant card to avoid "situations" - my cousin was really quite humpy when Officer Driscoll (who had pinched his own mother for a defective number plate light) nicked him for speeding .

When you can come back and show me a police force that dispenses with a chief constable who loses his license for speeding (after all a truck driver would be sacked) then I'll talk to you about being fair and honest - until then I'll make sure I don't get caught.

When you can come back and show me a police force that dispenses with a chief constable who loses his license for speeding (after all a truck driver would be sacked) then I'll talk to you about being fair and honest - until then I'll make sure I don't get caught.
To be sacked for speeding is a bit harsh, but I would suggest this person is guilty of fetching his Police Force into disrepute and when it is a Chief Constable then there should be severe consequences.

There will always be 'strange' characters in any walk of life but I find it very hard to believe anyone would knowingly report their own mother-in-law for a defective number plate. I most certainly have no reason to disbelieve this but it does seem more like an urban myth.

Regards
John

You've not met my mother in law then? :)
:D :D But I've had the pleasure of meeting your wife and we are talking about her mother. ;)

I know your joking and was thinking the same thoughts as I was typing my post. :)

Regards
John

Sorry, I really don't think this follows. A truck DRIVER, by nature, has to drive for a living- Therefore cannot do their job if banned.

If prosecuted for Drink/driving as a police officer, you will almost certainly lose your job. That I think is enough... Sacking people for speeding when their job doesn't necessarily involve it...

well said chomper

just in case you catch me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom